A couple leaves look like this, most of the plants look strong.

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
I’m noticing a few lower and shaded leaves beginning to look like this.

I believe it’s just the plants discarding older and unproductive leaves, but I want to make sure it’s not an early sign of a phosphorous deficiency.

If it’s looking like a P deficiency, then I’m going to guess I’ll need to dial back the water. Maybe a ph issue.

I took the opportunity to trim back one plant to open up the middle for air flow, but would have only needed to remove about 5 to 10 leaves to get all the damaged leaves.

BTW, they are far too high up on the lollipop to have been nutrient splash.

Thank you for any information, opinions, hyperbole or dirty jokes 😂🤪IMG_7296.jpegIMG_7298.jpegIMG_7297.jpegIMG_7302.jpegIMG_7301.jpegIMG_7300.jpegIMG_7299.jpeg

did she get pretty dry at some point?

also would not hurt to throw in 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salt with ur next watering.
About two weeks ago, on the weekend when I do not do daily waterings, they got a little limpy looking, but nothing parched. They perked back up when the sun went down so I think it was stressed, but not parched.

They did get Epsom this morning!

Thank you!

About two weeks ago, on the weekend when I do not do daily waterings, they got a little limpy looking, but nothing parched. They perked back up when the sun went down so I think it was stressed, but not parched.

They did get Epsom this morning!

Thank you!
tap or distilled?

tap or distilled?
Tap water, 37 PPM out of the tap.

Yup. 37, but there is chlorosomine or what ever is the chlorine/ammonia molecule that they are putting in water these days.

The PH (doesn’t matter at 37 PPM, but just for shits and giggles is usually around 8.4. As soon as anything nutritious goes in, it’ll drop to somewhere around 5.

I don’t PH manage but I’ll occasionally check. It’s usually around 6 (just below) on those occasions when I have checked. PPM is usually in the 500 to 650 PPM range when full nutrients are used, much lower if it’s Epsom or ca-mag only watering. Most of the time, the plant is just getting water out of the tap with no added minerals. There is runoff even when it’s just plain water so I might be washing away some nutrients, but I think the top dressing (bat poop, blood meal, mycos, worm poop) should help with that.

My outdoor in the ground plants are doing the exact same. It's over 100f everyday. Being in containers would be impossible here. My vote is heat.
We’re having the same kind of temps. We’ve had 5 days above 98, the last three over 100 and beginning today and not ending for 7 days, over 107 predicted. RH is in the teens.

Honest to bob, these things are getting irrigated 2x daily and appear to be sucking the bags dry by the time the next round is scheduled.

The soil is an amended combination of 30%FFOF, 30%Happy Frog, 15% pumice, 15%perlite, 10%Rice Hulls.

Tap water, 37 PPM out of the tap.

Yup. 37, but there is chlorosomine or what ever is the chlorine/ammonia molecule that they are putting in water these days.
* Chloramine*
With a TDS that low you want to be adding more minerals like Ca/Mg regularly.
You really might benefit from Phing your water easily with PH Down [ GH product].
My water is 7.6Ph/ with a TDS of 350+.
I Ph down a little and stiil with LEDS need to supplement MG and Ca.
Your water is void of anything that has not been added to it by man basically.

I also think heat plays a role so extra water won't hurt.

Heat, drought and a few other stressors can cause it. But also shows when a plant is dropping old growth. If you see it continuing up the plant then you need to try to address it. But i think its fair to say the random heat and some random drought stress combined with natural shedding is likely the cause

Thats K deficiency not P.

Completely normal at this time under your conditions or you would see a lot more of it
Man I know this is a big ask but visual diagnosis is such a daunting task for a newbie. You want to build a thread on the staff side and move it over to the Aqua library when done? Something like cannabis diagnosis start here. I’ll help you scrounge up pics and whatever you need.

It would be a tough one to write but I’m certain it will get tons of views.

Man I know this is a big ask but visual diagnosis is such a daunting task for a newbie. You want to build a thread on the staff side and move it over to the Aqua library when done? Something like cannabis diagnosis start here. I’ll help you scrounge up pics and whatever you need.

It would be a tough one to write but I’m certain it will get tons of views.
Sure thing may take a while though. I’ll ask to steal the better halves mac book so its coherent unlike my tiny phone keypad

Also ratios are important never treat a plant with extra of one nutrient without a reason to do so like signs of deficiency.

I suggest not adding any magnesium sulphate or other magnesium when you see any sign of potassium deficiency.

The reason in this case is more magnesium will make potassium less available.

See mulders chart below.

Mulders Chart: Nutrient Interactions – Nutriag

Also ratios are important never treat a plant with extra of one nutrient without a reason to do so like signs of deficiency.

I suggest not adding any magnesium sulphate or other magnesium when you see any sign of potassium deficiency.

The reason in this case is more magnesium will make potassium less available.

See mulders chart below.

Mulders Chart: Nutrient Interactions – Nutriag
This chart makes my head spin lol

This chart makes my head spin lol
Yup i remember when i was learning to understand it. But it really does help emphasize how important ratios are.

Then you add other contributing factors to availability like PH, temperature, cation exchange, organics and a few other like genetics.

This is why a good base nutrient designed for cannabis is really a huge benefit.

A single, two or three part nutrient is all thats needed.

The cannabis industry likes you to think 50 bottles of unicorn piss is better but they create more problem than anything.

A single, two or three part nutrient is all thats needed
I agree. I liked using just calmag and 1-4-5 botanicare pure blend bloom. I used that 3 runs from seed/clone to harvest.
Going to get a bottle of the grow and bloom and go back to a single part veg and single part bloom for my next run

I agree. I liked using just calmag and 1-4-5 botanicare pure blend bloom. I used that 3 runs from seed/clone to harvest.
Going to get a bottle of the grow and bloom and go back to a single part veg and single part bloom for my next run
indeed. currently just use base NPK salts, calnit for nitro, epsom for magsulfate - if needed, and id like to use silica but pricey in the right form.....and then would like to incorporate koolbloom for last week or 2 as ripener.

Last edited:
I use Canna coco, and I introduce bloom inhancers sparingly as I mature the buds or colas. The right thing is experimental until you achieve a good S.O.P.. Just take time. What a forum, great guys!

Back
Top Bottom