A Question about lighting. understanding PPF?

Pipecarver

POTM Winner
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new light and I'm wondering about the numbers. I have 3 Se/G 3000 lights in a 5x5 = 900 watts at full power. 1 se3000 shows 808umol/s. at 300watts and the Se7000 shows 2044 umol/s at 750 watts. I have 3 S series lights do I have 3 x 808 umol/s =2424 umol/s in coverage or does it work like that.1724167371245.png

I'm looking at buying a new light and I'm wondering about the numbers. I have 3 Se/G 3000 lights in a 5x5 = 900 watts at full power. 1 se3000 shows 808umol/s. at 300watts and the Se7000 shows 2044 umol/s at 750 watts. I have 3 S series lights do I have 3 x 808 umol/s =2424 umol/s in coverage or does it work like that.View attachment 69765
What light are you looking to purchase

What light are you looking to purchase
Just looking to see if I could upgrade my 3 lights into 1, if it makes a difference with a higher quality of light. I'm not really wanting to buy an expensive light but if the specs make a huge difference then I would consider it. I want an ebike so I've been researching, or a scooter, still looking, getting a new light is in the same context, gotta look to see whats what.
If 3 x 808 doesn't equal 2424 umol/s then I could see spending money to improve my set up....if not then I.m good until I see a reason to.

Just looking to see if I could upgrade my 3 lights into 1, if it makes a difference with a higher quality of light. I'm not really wanting to buy an expensive light but if the specs make a huge difference then I would consider it. I want an ebike so I've been researching, or a scooter, still looking, getting a new light is in the same context, gotta look to see whats what.
If 3 x 808 doesn't equal 2424 umol/s then I could see spending money to improve my set up....if not then I.m good until I see a reason to.
Best buy has a sale on e bikes right now

If you use two lights, each providing 300 µmol/m²/s, the combined PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) would be 600 µmol/m²/s. This is because the PAR values from multiple light sources are additive, assuming they cover the same area and their light overlaps effectively.
This is what the chat thingy told me. :oops:

Best buy has a sale on e bikes right now
If you use two lights, each providing 300 µmol/m²/s, the combined PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation) would be 600 µmol/m²/s. This is because the PAR values from multiple light sources are additive, assuming they cover the same area and their light overlaps effectively.
This is what the chat thingy told me. :oops:
That what I was wondering is if they added up, I'm good then, if not I could see investing in better equipment. It's been a couple of years since I got new lights, I was just window shopping and the numbers struck me as being off some how. I wasn't sure. I know that a 40w light is rather dim and 3 -40 w lights = 120 w don't make it as bright as a single 120w light they just cover more area. I was wondering if the PPF worked similarly

That what I was wondering is if they added up, I'm good then, if not I could see investing in better equipment. It's been a couple of years since I got new lights, I was just window shopping and the numbers struck me as being off some how. I wasn't sure. I know that a 40w light is rather dim and 3 -40 w lights = 120 w don't make it as bright as a single 120w light they just cover more area. I was wondering if the PPF worked similarly
Just to expand on this ... Go look at your favorite brand bar light. Look at similar models in 400w, 650w and whatever else they might have. The difference between those lights of the same brand and model series is LED count ... the actual number of diodes that make up that wattage. So yes, ppfd increases with more diodes whether its in 3 fixtures or 1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom