Auto Fire Stop Fire Extinguisher Balls

3x3x3 cloud
Alrighty sounds good ty. Bringing me peace of mind having these even if it did cost 140$ ... another thing I wanted to ask is ... it came with a mount and screws how would you set these up. I might see if my ratchet ropes can hang these in the tent but idk if it will work.

edit: they were supposed to come with a loop to hand them.. I really wanted to hang these lol. I told em I may return them and they offered me a 10% discount

Would it be better on top of the tent or inside?
From fire prevention perspective doesn’t matter. If you have lots of plugs and/or equipment inside you are concerned about then put there. Same outside. Do both of you are worried.

They are useless in a drawer or away from where fires start/occur. Just hope you can hang or suspend.

Disregard the link at the bottom. The shop is no longer in business.

Can't seem to find them anywhere in the 2kg size. Mostly 6kg and 12kg available. Can't find the manufacturer either.

Disregard the link at the bottom. The shop is no longer in business.

Can't seem to find them anywhere in the 2kg size. Mostly 6kg and 12kg available. Can't find the manufacturer either.

Looks like all you'll find are new old stock.
Flame Defenders were distributed by Sunlight Supply who was gobbled up by Hawthorne/Scotts Miracle Grow.
Hydrofarm, Gavita, General Hydroponics, and others all under one umbrella corporation now. A lot of great products were discontinued after the merger and FD was one of them.
It's what happens when fucking suits take over an industry built by people who listened to grower needs and demands

Looks like all you'll find are new old stock.
Flame Defenders were distributed by Sunlight Supply who was gobbled up by Hawthorne/Scotts Miracle Grow.
Hydrofarm, Gavita, General Hydroponics, and others all under one umbrella corporation now. A lot of great products were discontinued after the merger and FD was one of them.
It's what happens when fucking suits take over an industry built by people who listened to grower needs and demands
How do you keep your extinguisher pressurized? I would imagine it has to be serviced every year or so? What happens if the temp head gets damaged? Are they using stock sprinkler heads where they are easily replaced or was the head proprietary to the company?

This one is interesting but kind of pricey.

Yea if I wasn't a cheapskate i'd probably get that

This one is interesting but kind of pricey.

i wonder what the new version will be like.... kinda makes me shy away though when they charge $25 to get a 2 year warrantee over one year standard, guess they don't have much faith in their own product...

Just spoke with a fire extinguisher maintenance company and explained what I wanted. His solution was to take a 5lb extinguisher and replace the head with a 165* sprinkler head. He said he did the same thing for the engine room in his boat.

Just spoke with a fire extinguisher maintenance company and explained what I wanted. His solution was to take a 5lb extinguisher and replace the head with a 165* sprinkler head. He said he did the same thing for the engine room in his boat.
Just any extinguisher and that makes it automatic?

just about... i guess you would have to get it refilled and recharged though.. how would you replace the head without discharge?? the pressure would need to sit against the new nozzle to be auto, is there a safety valve for this? i haven't looked at an extinguisher in years!

i have a flame defender like bandits. in fact mine came from him in a contest many moons ago, unless the gauge is frozen in position it still has a charge in it!

the peace of mind is worth so much more than the cost.

Yup.
just about... i guess you would have to get it refilled and recharged though.. how would you replace the head without discharge?? the pressure would need to sit against the new nozzle to be auto, is there a safety valve for this? i haven't looked at an extinguisher in years!

i have a flame defender like bandits. in fact mine came from him in a contest many moons ago, unless the gauge is frozen in position it still has a charge in it!

the peace of mind is worth so much more than the cost.
Yes. He said that it should be checked and refilled annually. Honestly, I think that's overkill and just a way for maintenance companies to make more money but its all good. I was grateful for him letting me pick his brain.

I'm going to expand on that a little more and install a 90* elbow then put the sprinkler head on. This will allow me to hang the bottle off the roof bar.

Roots what makes a regular extinguisher turn automatic? i'm not that bright but am curious.

For a regular extinguisher you have to manually actuate it for it to go off. The sprinkler heads will go off automatically once a particular temperature is met. Normal sprinkler heads are 165* but they have ones as low as 135*.

I'm currently on the hunt for an empty cylinder as I won't need the manual valve. The cylinders have a female thread so once I secure the cylinder I can size a female/male/female T to screw in the pressure valve and a male/male 90* elbow to attach the sprinkler head to. The 90* is so that I can direct the spray down as I will be roof mounting the cylinder horizontally to the roof bar.

Going to hit up some of the rechargers in town and see if they'll be willing to experiment with me in developing it so that it's not just effective but durable. Don't want it depressurizing half way through a grow. The big question is will these rechargers be willing to recharge a DIY extinguisher......

For a regular extinguisher you have to manually actuate it for it to go off. The sprinkler heads will go off automatically once a particular temperature is met. Normal sprinkler heads are 165* but they have ones as low as 135*.

I'm currently on the hunt for an empty cylinder as I won't need the manual valve. The cylinders have a female thread so once I secure the cylinder I can size a female/male/female T to screw in the pressure valve and a male/male 90* elbow to attach the sprinkler head to. The 90* is so that I can direct the spray down as I will be roof mounting the cylinder horizontally to the roof bar.

Going to hit up some of the rechargers in town and see if they'll be willing to experiment with me in developing it so that it's not just effective but durable. Don't want it depressurizing half way through a grow. The big question is will these rechargers be willing to recharge a DIY extinguisher......
Sounds like work to me lmao fuckkk

not sure if it is effective if you lay it down on the side like that, i think more co2 would come out than retardant material... i don't know for sure but it's something you should ask.

here are shots of my flame defender head...

DSCN0672.JPG

DSCN0673.JPG

DSCN0676.JPG

not sure if it is effective if you lay it down on the side like that, i think more co2 would come out than retardant material... i don't know for sure but it's something you should ask.

View attachment 8932

View attachment 8933

View attachment 8934
i was thinking the same thing. afaik there's a straw to dispense the material that pretty much any aerosol can has. even rustoleum spray-at-any-angle relies mostly on a straw that has perforations at various levels to enable it to work. i would think for that design to work, it needs to be fully vertical, horizontal will just blow gas. CO2 is helpful but not near as effective as flame retardant.

View attachment 8932

View attachment 8933

View attachment 8934
After looking at the exploded view of a fire extinguisher I see what you mean. Vertical install then.

@Stoneyluv Thanks for the pics. Looks like they incoporated the pressure valve with the sprinkler head.

Exploded view fire extinguisher.jpg

Back
Top Bottom