Calcium and Magnesium

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
I've been looking into revamping my nutrient recipe and one of the inputs I wanted to start with is calcium and magnesium. These two elements seem to always be in demand by the plant and tend to be the cause of a lot of plant issues. I've been using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal/Mag Xtra. Works fine but it contains nitrogen which I want to remove from that part of the equation especially in flower.

I'm looking for recommendations for a Cal/Mag that isn't derived through nitrates(I'm guessing that's why AN's contains Nitrogen).

I've found a few like Roots Organics Cal/Mag w Sulfur that look promising.

I'm looking for a liquid version. My grow style doesn't really mesh well with powdered inputs.

I've been thinking about doing a powdered nute grow like ShadedOnes method. If I do then I can see incorporating these inputs.

I've been looking into revamping my nutrient recipe and one of the inputs I wanted to start with is calcium and magnesium. These two elements seem to always be in demand by the plant and tend to be the cause of a lot of plant issues. I've been using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal/Mag Xtra. Works fine but it contains nitrogen which I want to remove from that part of the equation especially in flower.

I'm looking for recommendations for a Cal/Mag that isn't derived through nitrates(I'm guessing that's why AN's contains Nitrogen).

I'm pretty sure the calcium in Roots Cal/Mag is a slurry of gypsum. It is slightly water soluble and as plants take it up (and as it's leached out of soil) more will dissolve and become available.

It does work, as long as we're talking about soil.

Hey

Try "grow more ""flowering calmag"

Maybe gypsum and Epsom salt.

Last edited:

I use the roots organic liquid calmag, and in my current grow I tried their dry amendment called elemental. Careful if you ever use the latter. I bought and used it for a plant that likes to variegate. It helped with that plant. I have another plant that locked up K from it. So I guess it depends on the plant to how it responds to that product. It has a bunch of cal in it.

I'm looking for a liquid version. My grow style doesn't really mesh well with powdered inputs.

I've been thinking about doing a powdered nute grow like ShadedOnes method. If I do then I can see incorporating these inputs.
Grow More makes No N Cal Mag. It should be less than 30 dollars for a gallon.

I use the roots organic liquid calmag, and in my current grow I tried their dry amendment called elemental. Careful if you ever use the latter. I bought and used it for a plant that likes to variegate. It helped with that plant. I have another plant that locked up K from it. So I guess it depends on the plant to how it responds to that product. It has a bunch of cal in it.
If you take a look at Mulders Chart you will see that Calcium is antagonistic with most of the elements needed to grow plants. It can be a real bitch to dial in.

If you take a look at Mulders Chart you will see that Calcium is antagonistic with most of the elements needed to grow plants. It can be a real bitch to dial in.
I had been top dressing it. Took the soil off the top of the plant today all the way down to the root ball. Added new soil and watered good. That cal is probably already leeched way into the root ball. But hopefully I don’t see too much more K def in that plant. Not much more I could do except back the light down and slow the plant down till it’s been watered enough times to reduce the excess cal.

How do you like to try and balance out the antaganism in soil?
That really depends on what you are using for soil. If you want to do a water only soil you are going to need to use some sort of super soil. Subcool has a recipe and I believe bandit posted in on the site. I do not do soil much any more other than moms and garden stuff. It just depends on what you are starting with. If you start out with a super soil the nutrient needs are designed to be handled by the soil. Something like FFOF runs out pretty quick and require supplementing.

Calcium has to be in a ratio to other nutrients to make it available to the plant but also so it is not antagonistic with other nutrients. I have messed with it and at times specifically in really flower the plant can handle and needs much more than any other time in its life. Week 1 thru 3 of flower is when the plant uses the most calcium.

If I was going to go back to soil the only thing I would consider is Korean Natural Farming. I believe it is the best way to grow in soil.

Yes it can! and if you get it wrong, it could lockout all those other elements.

(...said a guy who has gotten it wrong.)

@Aqua Man
Say does K usually show up first with Calcium toxicity because it is used in the largest amount by the plant?
it all depends on ratio but usually K is the first ppl notice. Its easier to pick up. Leaf tips will scorch without clawing like from N is usually the first sign. But its not always Ca that causes that. Ca to N ratio plays a big role in how much is too much. But I personally feel many overdo the Ca in their grows these days and then mistake it for a Ca deficiency

Just to add the most common reason i see for Ca issues is simply the VPD or environmental issues. I cant think if a time i can unequivocally say it was a lack of Ca

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom