How do you like to decide when to trim your bud?

Kopper1013

Sept Raffle Winner!
Reaction score
Hey y’all just wondering how people decide when you trim their bud after hanging and get into brown paper bags for jars?

I’ve heard to check the stems with a meter
Or snap a branch but what size branch? Small, middle or big?

How do you guys like to check. This being only my second go round Id like to get it more “right” than “wrong”

Some people trim wet. I prefer to trim it dry.

I've never messed with meters, but when the trim leaves are dry enough to mostly come off without a clipper, I trim it. It is usually ready or almost ready for jars, at that time.

BTW, for things like deciding when to trim and deciding when to jar things up for the cure, use all the meters and hygrometers you want, but if you just pay attention to scents and the feel of the plants, you will can give those meters and hygrometers away.

Of course, I'm talking about my one tent, 5' x 5' grows. My methods might not be practical for large operations.

I do pretty much the same as Mystic but wet trim using electric trimmers and trim where they stand as they're still alive. It's unusual but works for me and my limited space and time.
But yeah I go by smell mostly, snapping branch with no flex, texture, and lastly smoke test then I bag up in Grove bags. I probably take mine a little too dry before bagging but the bags help correct that and sets a great cure every time.

I bagged in grove bags last year and they did great, no issues but my buds last year weren’t nearly as dense and they’re on day 12 of drying and still seem to have a while longer. Having only felt them once and being a year ago my experience is very limited.
Thanks for your inputs 😊

Totally depends on my environment. If the RH stays between 56-62% they can stay out a very long time. I take all the fan leaf off at chop, and dry trim when everything breaks off without cutting. In the summer, when I can't keep the RH over 45, I cut the buds off the stem after 4-5 days and use ziplock or paper bags to control rh. They don't get jarred for at least a month.

I’m holding really well at an RH of 59-61, I could bump that to hold between 61-63? Could I just hold that for awhile?

Totally depends on my environment. If the RH stays between 56-62% they can stay out a very long time. I take all the fan leaf off at chop, and dry trim when everything breaks off without cutting. In the summer, when I can't keep the RH over 45, I cut the buds off the stem after 4-5 days and use ziplock or paper bags to control rh. They don't get jarred for at least a month.

I've been thinking about doing this more and more...just removing everything without resin while it's wet but leaving everything that's frosty on the flowers to dry.
Do you use one of those silicone trim brushes once it's dry? That's the big appeal for me is using that brush instead of snips as I'm not a fan of trying to use snips on dry leaves

I've been thinking about doing this more and more...just removing everything without resin while it's wet but leaving everything that's frosty on the flowers to dry.
Do you use one of those silicone trim brushes once it's dry? That's the big appeal for me is using that brush instead of snips as I'm not a fan of trying to use snips on dry leaves
fingers only-no gloves. love finger hash.

That's how I did it on my first run and it was way easier than the times I used scissors trimming for folks in the past.

Like you said.. i took anything with a stem when I chopped the plant. Then, after drying, a basting brush cleaned them up real nice.

Newb's perspective, of course.

Back
Top Bottom