How to Defoliate a SCROG???

Kopper1013

Sept Raffle Winner!
Reaction score
Hey y’all I just finished 21 days of 12/12 and am preparing to do a big defoliation.

But I need a better understanding of what to trim…

First I plan to clean out everything that HASN'T made it to the SCROG screen.

Second I plan to clean out any buds or but sights that aren’t showing close to the same rate of growth as the upper canopy (anything that looks like it could be larf or popcorn buds).

Then I’m not sure…I THINK @Aqua and @CannaGranny both say to remove any leaves that are covering bud sites but I’m confused there as anything that’s taller with leaves with cover anything bellow…I’ve attached some photos so maybe if y’all have time could put arrows or something saying “Trim this ya dummy” and “leave that” 🤣🤣 but obviously I’ll take any help (and ya can call me whatever names you want😂)

Thank you for helping a newbie!

10C6EFB4-40DC-45C9-A5C8-DFD8420F48DB.jpegE9847171-5A2E-488B-A7B8-E56020E43CC2.jpeg6CDC9E32-A2B6-4685-BF43-A12AD6F4F87D.jpegF0460B46-4793-47CB-98B3-63EF37494759.jpeg0FC9427F-AA6F-4B21-BE1E-F1F2A1FD744D.jpeg7F15888B-CAA4-4CE0-AFA5-8518DF5AD6B5.jpegF251FA35-FBC8-4FF1-A3CA-AB0313278F2C.jpeg89A99D38-261A-4453-AE2C-C25734C85DC1.jpeg8C00551C-1163-438C-9606-C0C690BBC635.jpeg

So far so good. Just in the future remove anything that does not nor does it have a chance of reaching your canopy, from below your canopy as soon as you table them.
Your canopy is looking pretty thick. Remove anything that is blocking wind and light from above the canopy, leaving the top of third of your leaves intact. If you look from the top down, you can see what is not getting light or air flow.
Make this defoil count, as you should not do a heavy defoliation after week 3.5 of flower. Basically no defoliation at all after that period.
Otherwise, it’s looking great! Congrats on a fine looking scrog top!IMG_1801.jpegIMG_1800.jpeg

So far so good. Just in the future remove anything that does not nor does it have a chance of reaching your canopy, from below your canopy as soon as you table them.
Your canopy is looking pretty thick. Remove anything that is blocking wind and light from above the canopy, leaving the top of third of your leaves intact. If you look from the top down, you can see what is not getting light or air flow.
Make this defoil count, as you should not do a heavy defoliation after week 3.5 of flower. Basically no defoliation at all after that period.
Otherwise, it’s looking great! Congrats on a fine looking scrog top!View attachment 47734View attachment 47735
Thank you! I’ll post pictures later today 👍
I could have did better in this area too...little more each time I suppose maybe nail it a little better myself my next run

Looks good what strain ya got goin?
This is “Pennywise” and I look forward to my next attempt as well, had a bunch of mistakes or “learning events 🤣” on this run I’d like to correct next time.

Otherwise, it’s looking great! Congrats on a fine looking scrog top!View attachment 47734View attachment 47735
Good info. Just 1 question - why shouldn’t you defoliate after week 3.5? I pluck some here and there (not too many, but a handful) and I haven’t experienced any negative effect. Is there something I’m missing?

Good info. Just 1 question - why shouldn’t you defoliate after week 3.5? I pluck some here and there (not too many, but a handful) and I haven’t experienced any negative effect. Is there something I’m missing?
No more than you are defoliating should not be a big problem. I may take a few if needed to open up the light air movement. After week 3-3.5 I tend to tuck the leaves versus pulling them. You have to remember, some folks literally pluck them almost naked.
This is what I have always been told:
  • Early Flowering Stage: Defoliation can also be performed in the early flowering stage when plants transition from vegetative growth to bud development. However, it is crucial to be cautious during this stage as the plant's energy priorities shift towards flower production. Overly aggressive defoliation in the flowering stage can result in stress and reduced yield potential.

Last edited:
I had 2 plants going last time and had my timing off nearly week 4 before I defoliated. One of the plants I didn't do to well either and had to come back to later and hit up some more. I noticed the plant I had to defol twice kind of stalled and didn't end up finishing at the same rate as the other and they were the same clone.

It can stall the plant if you do it heavier imo past week 3-3.5, from my experience at least. I would think it could cause stress and herms as well. I think a lot of the logic is while the plant is stretching it's still growing. After that 3 week period or when stretch stops (may be longer on sativas) it shifts to bud production and puts on no new leafs. So by end of stretch you should know how many leafs your plant is going to have and then remove accordingly. Just don't wanna mess with her too much in flower IMO. Especially if mono cropping it can cause your harvest to be staggered.

Ok y’all I just finished a 3hr stint of defoliation and my hernia surgery area is feeling it. Time for a break!

How did I do? @CannaGranny do you recommend turning the lights down for a day or two after this to reduce stress or power through??
View attachment 47797View attachment 47798View attachment 47804View attachment 47799View attachment 47800View attachment 47801View attachment 47802View attachment 47803
Fantastic job! 🥰 I would leave my lights alone and continue on!

Thank you! means a lot coming from the SCROG queen!

Appreciate the help, ideas and opinions from all of y’all love this place and the knowledge base that’s available for anyone willing to ask ❤️
Well you have done an absolutely fantastic job, more so for a first time! Looks like one of my canopies!
Only flaw and we have talked about it, lollypop those limbs the day you go on scrog. None of anything below that net is needed. My rule is if it don’t reach or wont reach after stretching, then it’s eliminated from the get.
Now, we can officially say you have your scrog on! 🥰

No more than you are defoliating should not be a big problem. I may take a few if needed to open up the light air movement. After week 3-3.5 I tend to tuck the leaves versus pulling them. You have to remember, some folks literally pluck them almost naked.
This is what I have always been told:
  • Early Flowering Stage: Defoliation can also be performed in the early flowering stage when plants transition from vegetative growth to bud development. However, it is crucial to be cautious during this stage as the plant's energy priorities shift towards flower production. Overly aggressive defoliation in the flowering stage can result in stress and reduced yield potential.

Ah I get what you’re saying. I’ll tuck if possible, but half the time I just knock off 5 or so leaves just to get more light through.

Well you have done an absolutely fantastic job, more so for a first time! Looks like one of my canopies!
Only flaw and we have talked about it, lollypop those limbs the day you go on scrog. None of anything below that net is needed. My rule is if it don’t reach or wont reach after stretching, then it’s eliminated from the get.
Now, we can officially say you have your scrog on! 🥰
I left quite a few branched that where close (like 2”) from the table when I flipped to 12/12 thinking during stretch they’d get to the table, which most actually did.
Flaw in this thinking was everything that was already to the table or above had a good jump on the shorter stuff so they shaded them out and they either didn’t make it to the table or those that did had buds that where tiny and way under developed.
Most of my clearing was under developed buds and fan leaves on spindly branches.
I also didn’t drop the table like you and flip, I set the table and tucked branches every 4-5 days for probably a month or more till it was filled. I’ve got a lot to learn before I can drop a table and fill it like you in one swoop 😃 lots and lots to learn

Back
Top Bottom