Is there a best way to store seeds?

A

Amnesia

What's the best way to store seeds that might not be used for a long time?

I've read that some folks keep them in a freezer. That's not how I've been doing it. I just keep them in a sealed bag in a box in a cabinet that's at room temperature. Should I freeze them? Or should I just not worry about it? At the rate I grow plants, I probably have several years of seeds. Then there's always a new strain I want to try.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems putting them in the freezer isn't necessary or recommended. Keeping them away from moisture makes a lot of sense. So, maybe an air-tight container with some rice or silica is enough. I don't know for sure that I've ever had a problem that could be attributed to how seeds were stored. This is just a question I had been mulling over for quite a while.

Thanks for the replies.

It seems putting them in the freezer isn't necessary or recommended. Keeping them away from moisture makes a lot of sense. So, maybe an air-tight container with some rice or silica is enough. I don't know for sure that I've ever had a problem that could be attributed to how seeds were stored. This is just a question I had been mulling over for quite a while.
Only reason I say refrig is high heat is also an enemy long as ur in a air conditioning environment u b fine

Thanks for the replies.

I freeze them and have excellent germination rate. I tried popping 12 year old seeds that were in the safe and not one popped. The frozen ones 6 out of 7 popped in 3 days.

I freeze them and have excellent germination rate. I tried popping 12 year old seeds that were in the safe and not one popped. The frozen ones 6 out of 7 popped in 3 days.
At my age, I doubt I'll still be alive in 12 years. So, that may be a longer term than I need. I probably won't store seeds for longer than about 5 years. Now I'm wondering if I need to add my growing stuff to my will. 🤣😉

That's an interesting result, though. Freezers probably have low humidity. Were they otherwise stored in the same type of containers?

At my age, I doubt I'll still be alive in 12 years. So, that may be a longer term than I need. I probably won't store seeds for longer than about 5 years. Now I'm wondering if I need to add my growing stuff to my will. 🤣😉

That's an interesting result, though. Freezers probably have low humidity. Were they otherwise stored in the same type of containers?
The ones in the safe were in a film container. I freeze them now in dime bags inside a jar. My son can sell them or pass them on. Who knows what they might be worth in 100 years? The genetics will have changed a lot, and people might be willing to pay for old school genetics.

The ones in the safe were in a film container. I freeze them now in dime bags inside a jar. My son can sell them or pass them on. Who knows what they might be worth in 100 years? The genetics will have changed a lot, and people might be willing to pay for old school genetics.
Shit bro I’m already willing to pay for old school genetics !

These guys are on point with using cold for seed storage. The fate of the world in case of something cray cray happening is in their hands to keep the seeds viable and protected from extinction

For my personal stash though...I use an air tight sealing container, a C-Vault.
Inside I have it filled with packs of seeds, oxygen absorbers, and 32% Boveda humidity packs.
I've popped seeds ranging from 5-7 years old using this method. Some are creeping close to 10 years old and will likely be germinated some time in late '23 or 2024

Last edited:
These guys are on point with using cold for seed storage. The fate of the world in case of something cray cray happening is in their hands to keep the seeds viable and protected from extinction

^ This! 👍

For my personal stash though...I use an air tight sealing container, a C-Vault.

Inside I have it filled with packs of seeds, oxygen absorbers, and 32% Boveda humidity packs.
I've popped seeds ranging from 5-7 years old using this method. Some are creeping close to 10 years old and will likely be germinated some time in late '23 or 2024
Thanks! Great advice! 😊

I recognize all the things you listed except oxygen absorbers. I'll add them to my list.

Back
Top Bottom