Light Meter

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dedicated PAR meter or PAR meter app for Iphone? I know that Photone makes one for them but I was told you have to install some special sort of filter to get it to read accurately. Are there any other free PAR meter apps for Iphone that work well?

I saw some Lux light meters on Amazon but those are all geared towards photography. I know that Apogee makes some of the best PAR meters but they are pricey.

I have a couple PAR meters and TBH, they're fairly useless with today's grow lights.
They can tell you where the limits of your light are at and what the best height to hang and that's about it. You can do the same thing measuring lux or lumens and converting the numbers. They used to be great for knowing when an HID lamp was in decline but that's not applicable to LED and especially not with the LED that have adjustable channels.

If you really want to know what your light is doing and what it can do you want something like the Pulse Pro. It will give you info like PPFD or PAR, convert it to DLI and also give you the spectral breakdown of each color percentage.
Really the only thing a par meter will do is give you whatever the highest PPFD measurement might be but it wont tell you which color or colors make up that measurement.

For example, I put my PAR meter under a custom t5ho array and it reads 207umol. IDK if it's high in blue or red. I just have a vague reading that says 207 and it's accuracy is questionable.

IMG_7019.JPG

But with the Pulse Pro, I get all this info which is actually useful

Screenshot 2024-04-18 174109.png

+ it also measures CO2, VPD, light %, temp, rh, dew point, and air pressure so you get the whole enchilada of room data for the $450 asking price.

IMO if a grower wants this data, save up for it and don't go cheap with just a regular PAR meter. You'll be better of in the end and have zero doubts about what your lights and room are doing.
If not willing to go that extra mile, a simple $20 lux meter and conversion chart or app on a phone will tell you roughly the same thing any $250 par meter will tell you

I found "par meter" app to give me numbers nearest what my lights manufacturer says the stats are...photone was always like 150-200ppfd lower and while using it my plants reacted poorly. They reacted better when using par meter. Now I just see roughly where my plants like the light and just roll with it....took note of my height above my canopy during flower after two runs so now i got it pretty dialed in without the need for much.

I have just a cheap amazone Lux meter and it gives me numbers I can use to judge the intensity of the lights at what ever height I have my plants from the lights. With 3 lights in one tent I can dial all 3 to be close to each other across my canopy......I just like a base of numbers I can learn from, what is too much and what is too little .......I just need ball park figures...same as ph...just get me close...

Thanks for the quick replies.

It's not for me but a newb I'm trying to help. He has an Iphone and it seems the only decent app is from Photone but, as I mentioned earlier, it needs some sort of filter to get it to work correctly. For now he just needs to be able to read the overall PPFD so that he doesn't burn his plants. I'm thinking it might be easier for him to pick up one of the cheap sub $50 lux meters and manually convert it to PPFD.

I have an android phone so I use the Tent Buddy app. I know someone with an Apogee meter and I compared it to my readings and they were pretty close. I read somewhere that the programmers for the Tent Buddy app programmed in some sort of analyzer that adjusts the calibration to the type of lens your phone uses. So far the app has served me well and I can't complain especially for free.

@Bandit420 - I didn't realize the Pulse Pro could do that. I'm going to have to look into it. Lots of great data from what I'm seeing. Especially the color analyzer where you can use it to dial in a specific strain that you've run and been able to refine the spectrum to maximize plant performance. Not sure if it would be worth the cost for tent growing but I can see a bed room or garage grow where this would be really useful, especially for the price to data that you would get versus fully commercial controller/analyzers.

Thanks for the quick replies.

It's not for me but a newb I'm trying to help. He has an Iphone and it seems the only decent app is from Photone but, as I mentioned earlier, it needs some sort of filter to get it to work correctly. For now he just needs to be able to read the overall PPFD so that he doesn't burn his plants. I'm thinking it might be easier for him to pick up one of the cheap sub $50 lux meters and manually convert it to PPFD.

I have an android phone so I use the Tent Buddy app. I know someone with an Apogee meter and I compared it to my readings and they were pretty close. I read somewhere that the programmers for the Tent Buddy app programmed in some sort of analyzer that adjusts the calibration to the type of lens your phone uses. So far the app has served me well and I can't complain especially for free.

@Bandit420 - I didn't realize the Pulse Pro could do that. I'm going to have to look into it. Lots of great data from what I'm seeing. Especially the color analyzer where you can use it to dial in a specific strain that you've run and been able to refine the spectrum to maximize plant performance. Not sure if it would be worth the cost for tent growing but I can see a bed room or garage grow where this would be really useful, especially for the price to data that you would get versus fully commercial controller/analyzers.

Yep I got the Pulse Pro pretty much because I set up custom lighting beyond what my PAR meter is capable of analyzing. I'd say if you're running one light or one type of light, the manufacturer data along with basic light measuring will get you where you need to be. And like others have mentioned there is no better light meter than your plants.
But if you're doing some nutty shit with multiple types of light and blending spectrums then yeah the Pro can really help find the sweet spots and ideal stage of life spectrum without the guesswork. Prior to the pulse it was pretty much set something up and see what happens. It's nice to finally be able to predict what will happen and then it does happen. Three cheers for technology!! šŸ˜‹

Back
Top Bottom