Nearly no trichomes, amazing aroma - I don’t understand

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
Buenos today amigos and amigas.

I have a super blue dream plant that is in the last day of week 5 since 12:12 lighting.
It’s got robust buds with really nice build but visually (without magnification) there are almost no trichomes. Even flash photos don’t glow the way a sugary bud would glow.

I accidentally brushed my hand against it whilst checking it this morning and noticed it has an aroma like fresh baked blueberries.

If it’s sparse of trichomes, where is the aroma coming from? It’s amazingly potent.IMG_4482.jpegIMG_4480.jpegIMG_4444.jpegIMG_4432.jpeg

If it’s sparse of trichomes, where is the aroma coming from? It’s amazingly potent.
Same place mints fragrance would be harbored. In the leaves and even the stems.
Like a rose by another name even.
I have had pungent flowers before that were not frost covered or even sparkly~!

Dropping your humidity during the last three weeks will also greatly increase trichs.
That i have been tying to do.
It’s getting ready to be stormy here for at least a week and we’ve had pretty humid conditions for weeks (expected in winter).
I have a couple dehuys as well as damp rid hanging in the tent and shed, still remains in the 60s at night, I do get occasional 40s when the lights come on and things heat up, but it’s not been easy.

Both are in weeks 6 now, looking good for quantity (not huge, but decent), I hope I can get some good bud off them, the blue dream has an amazing smell. The sativa is very citrusy, other plants from the same group of seeds have been wonderful!

Hoping for the best.

They're all individuals, the one you're talking about does have some resin on it, bear in mind its only 5 weeks into flower.

Dry sift is my favourite for flavour, there's no doubt in my mind flavour is in the trichs along with potency.
Screenshot_20240229_184341_Brave.jpg
It's not terrible I don't think, give it some time.

A lot of different variances involved. Genetics, RH, temps.
Some are just much more heavy in trichs than others. Concrete Shoes comes to mind. The trichs on it are three times as long as compared to most other plants. I see those long thick trichs in Oregon Grape as well.
If you study the plants habits in terms of defense mechanisms, then you know trich production is actually a defense for that plant. It covers the nucleus of the bud protects it from light and produces smells that bugs and animals do not like. Kind of like, here comes that pesky deer, turn on the skunk scent!
This is why I chose to cut the humidity the last three weeks or so to my grow. It certainly increases frost or sugar production.
I have seen a lot of comments concerning this process. I don’t lose terps, I don’t lose smell, and I certainly do not lack a good THC content. I want the whole ball of wax. Stinky, sticky and sparkling with trichs.
I do like pretty weed and I love even better all of the “fairy dust” in my cleaning bin.
If the plant is good and healthy this is for sure a safe and viable way of increasing trich production.

Back
Top Bottom