New Grower, Gifted a Clone, Potted Outdoor - need advice, thanks!

Annaresti

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
Hello,

First off, Thank you for being a forum that is welcoming of noobs.

I am seeking the collective wisdom as I have planted a clone in a fabric pot, outdoor. I was gifted the clone - so i'm not sure how old it was when I got it. I planted it in the pot on June 20 and let it get used to outdoors, now it looks pretty happy. As a fan of cali-green on youtube, I'm trying to do living organics.

It looks like it might have been topped once or twice while it was a clone, but I can't tell. It's doing well and I think I have a good grasp on watering and feeding (but I'm not sure). I'm not expecting any mind blowing results, but I hope to keep it alive and get some flower.

I don't know what to do in terms of pruning or topping - or really anything.

I've been using neem oil once a week and ran out of B.T so I need to get some more to do that once a week (Unless people advise spinosad?) My water when it gets dry every 2-3 days, depending on the heat, try not to allow runoff. Spray it once in a while with see weed extract. Watered with compost tea twice now. I'm in northern California.

This strain is called "Rank Bull" which i've never heard of (Maybe a big bull cross?)

Please check photo. Any advice that you think will be helpful is most welcome. Sorry i'm all over the place.

- Annaresti

1000007272.jpg1000007273.jpg

Welcome to Bud Builders. Your plant looks healthy so no need for any dramatic changes at this point. What is your water/feed schedule and can you go into more details as to what your referring to as "living organics?" Are you using a home-made soil mix or an expensive "water only" organic mix? This information would give us a good feel for what you're doing and so on. At any rate, welcome!

Looks good to me. Keep up adjusting watering and feeding as needed because demands will increase as the plant get bigger.

My opinion is an Outdoor plant really doesn’t need pruning at all.

Topping is also not necessary because the light get to the plant all over not just from directly above.

So in short i think you are doing everything right and no need to change anything yet. It may be tempting to try more but honestly less is more

Welcome to Bud Builders. Your plant looks healthy so no need for any dramatic changes at this point. What is your water/feed schedule and can you go into more details as to what your referring to as "living organics?" Are you using a home-made soil mix or an expensive "water only" organic mix? This information would give us a good feel for what you're doing and so on. At any rate, welcome!
Thanks!

I think what caki green calls "living organics" is just organic growing. I believe he likes to call it that because of the living microbes in the soil.

I mixed the soil. I used Fox farm ocean forest and vigoro potting soil (as i didn't have enough ocean forest) mixed with compost and worm castings. Added in some 4-8-4, mycoryza, and 4-6-3 with microbes/trace elements. Mixed and planted.

I water when it gets dry, 1-3 days depending, usually just filter water. I've done a one watering of vermistera compost tea with a tiny bit of molasses.

Not sure when/if i need to top dress with anything. I also have no idea on time lines, and what to do when it starts flowing, so on.

Thanks!

I think what caki green calls "living organics" is just organic growing. I believe he likes to call it that because of the living microbes in the soil.

I mixed the soil. I used Fox farm ocean forest and vigoro potting soil (as i didn't have enough ocean forest) mixed with compost and worm castings. Added in some 4-8-4, mycoryza, and 4-6-3 with microbes/trace elements. Mixed and planted.

I water when it gets dry, 1-3 days depending, usually just filter water. I've done a one watering of vermistera compost tea with a tiny bit of molasses.

Not sure when/if i need to top dress with anything. I also have no idea on time lines, and what to do when it starts flowing, so on.
For now, just keep her healthy. Ocean Forrest is a fairly hot mix. You may not have a need to do too much feeding. Post pictures if you have questions. Watch for insect damage and such. She should flower on her own as we get into August.

For now, just keep her healthy. Ocean Forrest is a fairly hot mix. You may not have a need to do too much feeding. Post pictures if you have questions. Watch for insect damage and such. She should flower on her own as we get into August.
That's good to know. Thanks.

What about sunlight? That's something I'm not sure about. There is a place in my yard that gets sun from 8am until 8pm. Then theres places with less.

As much sunlight as possible now.
You may want to move them to a shadier spot in September to help finish her up.

Do you understand that it is the amount of daylight that induces flowering?
That is how Photoperiod plants work.
I change from veg to flower slowly in my room.
I veg at 18 on 6 off and then change 1 or 2 hours a week until they get to 12 on 12 off.
Most will show signs of flower around 13-14 hours of daylight.
So for now as much as possible but to finish less can speed it up.

As much sunlight as possible now.
You may want to move them to a shadier spot in September to help finish her up.

Do you understand that it is the amount of daylight that induces flowering?
That is how Photoperiod plants work.
I change from veg to flower slowly in my room.
I veg at 18 on 6 off and then change 1 or 2 hours a week until they get to 12 on 12 off.
Most will show signs of flower around 13-14 hours of daylight.
So for now as much as possible but to finish less can speed it up.
I know they are photo sensitive, so I am trying to keep her in the most sun possible. I'll keep that approach. Thanks.

I know they are photo sensitive, so I am trying to keep her in the most sun possible. I'll keep that approach. Thanks.
Photo-sensitive also means when its in its night time, you don't want light pollution effecting the plant. Keep it away from dusk to dawn and/or motion detection security lights. If the plant is close enough, even a porch light could cause problems.

Photo-sensitive also means when its in its night time, you don't want light pollution effecting the plant. Keep it away from dusk to dawn and/or motion detection security lights. If the plant is close enough, even a porch light could cause problems.
I did NOT know that. Thanks. What can happen?

Also, most folks seem to lean toward little or know topping/pruning. What do you think?

Also, do i need a trellis or something come flower? How big will she get?

I promise I'll stop adding questions.

I did NOT know that. Thanks. What can happen?

Also, most folks seem to lean toward little or know topping/pruning. What do you think?

Also, do i need a trellis or something come flower? How big will she get?

I promise I'll stop adding questions.

Topping/Pruning - You don't have much time for regrowth if you start pruning now. That's something a grower might do during May or June. Removing vegetation now will only reduce your yield.

Plant supports/trellis - I don't think your clone is going to get real big. However, it will stretch during flower and plant supports of some type are often needed to keep maturing buds secured.

Promise me you won't stop asking questions. You're in the right place to get all your questions answered.

You can ... people do it all the time. However aside from supporting maturing buds, most people don't do a lot of training on a (legal) outdoor plant. Indoors with limited overhead space is a different story. Scrog nets are common in indoor grows.
Thanks, that's good to know as i don't know much about LST or any other training. Now, LSD... anyhow, thanks Grampa!

She seems happy! Just top dressed a little 4-4-4 and worm castings and a compost tea with vermistera tea, microlife biomatrix, and seaweed extract. So far so good.

Hello,

First off, Thank you for being a forum that is welcoming of noobs.

I am seeking the collective wisdom as I have planted a clone in a fabric pot, outdoor. I was gifted the clone - so i'm not sure how old it was when I got it. I planted it in the pot on June 20 and let it get used to outdoors, now it looks pretty happy. As a fan of cali-green on youtube, I'm trying to do living organics.

It looks like it might have been topped once or twice while it was a clone, but I can't tell. It's doing well and I think I have a good grasp on watering and feeding (but I'm not sure). I'm not expecting any mind blowing results, but I hope to keep it alive and get some flower.

I don't know what to do in terms of pruning or topping - or really anything.

I've been using neem oil once a week and ran out of B.T so I need to get some more to do that once a week (Unless people advise spinosad?) My water when it gets dry every 2-3 days, depending on the heat, try not to allow runoff. Spray it once in a while with see weed extract. Watered with compost tea twice now. I'm in northern California.

This strain is called "Rank Bull" which i've never heard of (Maybe a big bull cross?)

Please check photo. Any advice that you think will be helpful is most welcome. Sorry i'm all over the place.

- Annaresti

View attachment 65685View attachment 65686
Looks great so far. Welcome to BB!

You can still do LST/HST outside if you want. But I’d practice indoors first if I had the choice. I can only grow a few plants legally so tend to top, FIM and bend branches to get more out of my grows.

IMG_9237.jpegIMG_9238.jpeg

She ended up about 7’ tall and about the same in canopy diameter. But be aware that when in flower she’s going to stink big time.

Last edited:
Looks great so far. Welcome to BB!

You can still do LST/HST outside if you want. But I’d practice indoors first if I had the choice. I can only grow a few plants legally so tend to top, FIM and bend branches to get more out of my grows.

View attachment 66406View attachment 66408

She ended up about 7’ tall and about the same in canopy diameter. But be aware that when in flower she’s going to stink big time.
Those look great! Big ladies.

Can you point me in a good direction to find info on knowing when to harvest and how to dry and cure? I don't know what I'll need or anything, really. All i have is a garage or outside to dry, but i suppose i could get a small tent.

Can you point me in a good direction to find info on knowing when to harvest and how to dry and cure? I don't know what I'll need or anything, really. All i have is a garage or outside to dry, but i suppose i could get a small tent.
Cool areas like a basement work well for drying/curing. You don't have much control over drying environment outside, but with that said, many people have done it successfully. You want a cool area preferably no warmer than 70f with an RH around 60 for best results.

Cool areas like a basement work well for drying/curing. You don't have much control over drying environment outside, but with that said, many people have done it successfully. You want a cool area preferably no warmer than 70f with an RH around 60 for best results.
I think in it will cool enough by then that my garage might be possible if i can control humidity enough. I'll keep reading posts. So much info here. Glad I found y'all.

That’s ONE plant. After LST/HST. That was why I posted it.

As for dry and cure…

A few different discussions are currently going on right now. Mostly around making large humidors out of old refrigerators and the like.

I do what I can with what I have at the time. If all else fails I hang them in the basement bathroom shower or put in paper bags and put in the refrigerator, known as the lotus method.

Ambient temperature and humidity at the time I need to harvest steers how I choose to dry.

If I wet trim or dry trim also helps at this point. Unless you have a climate controlled space you’re going to need to see what works but lots of good ideas here.

I'm going to keep posting questions here so as to not make 20 new threads with all my inquiries.

What is a good pest management schedule? What do you use?

I've been doing neem oil and BT once a week each. It's there anything else I can do? When do I stop?

I'm going to keep posting questions here so as to not make 20 new threads with all my inquiries.

What is a good pest management schedule? What do you use?

I've been doing neem oil and BT once a week each. It's there anything else I can do? When do I stop?
You'll want to stop the neem oil when your plant starts flowering. Everything I have read about neem oil states it will make your buds taste bad. I'm not sure what you mean by "BT" so can you tell me about it? I probably will know what you mean even though I don't recognize the acronym at the moment.

Are you experiencing issues with insects now? I run autoflowers in my greenhouse during the summer. It's normal to see a few insects so don't let 1 or 2 leaves that looks munched on discourage you. "DE" (diatomaceous earth) dusting the soil at the top of the pot with prevent insects/caterpillers from crawling across the soil. I have also used neem oil based products in the past. Once in flower, my "SOP" is no sprayed on chemicals or foliar treatments of any kind. Sticky buds tend become "glue traps" for insects so I always wash my outside buds.

Post away ... this is your thread. We'll certainly answer your questions.

You'll want to stop the neem oil when your plant starts flowering. Everything I have read about neem oil states it will make your buds taste bad. I'm not sure what you mean by "BT" so can you tell me about it? I probably will know what you mean even though I don't recognize the acronym at the moment.

Are you experiencing issues with insects now? I run autoflowers in my greenhouse during the summer. It's normal to see a few insects so don't let 1 or 2 leaves that looks munched on discourage you. "DE" (diatomaceous earth) dusting the soil at the top of the pot with prevent insects/caterpillers from crawling across the soil. I have also used neem oil based products in the past. Once in flower, my "SOP" is no sprayed on chemicals or foliar treatments of any kind. Sticky buds tend become "glue traps" for insects so I always wash my outside buds.

Post away ... this is your thread. We'll certainly answer your questions.
Bacillus Thuringiensis (B.t.). That's the one I use for caterpillars. And then neem is for mites and aphids and the like.

I am mostly trying to do it for preventative measures, parts of my garden have aphids, and the squashes have had powdery mold. I feel like i've gotten them both under control, but I don't want to have to do that for this lady. The ganja plant is not right next to them, but in the same vicinity.

I figured that there was no real foliar pest management after flower, so it's good to remember that.

I've heard good things about potassium salts in integrated pest management and oil's of peppermint, thyme and clove. I love diametatious earth for my other plants, so I'll put that on the topsoil.

Back
Top Bottom