PE or PVC piping for automated Irrigation?

Seb

Ganja Guerrilla
Reaction score
Is it about personal preference or is there a definitive answer?

From what I have seen PVC pipes are popular. There are various pros and cons in terms of assembly and properties. The only thing I see as potential deal breaker for PE is that it needs support if I want to have the manifolds on pot height rater than on the floor. This can be overcome but might be annoying. I am leaning towards PE because it is easier to disassemble if need be and easier to buy online.

Has anybody used PE for irrigation piping?

Is it about personal preference or is there a definitive answer?

From what I have seen PVC pipes are popular. There are various pros and cons in terms of assembly and properties. The only thing I see as potential deal breaker for PE is that it needs support if I want to have the manifolds on pot height rater than on the floor. This can be overcome but might be annoying. I am leaning towards PE because it is easier to disassemble if need be and easier to buy online.

Has anybody used PE for irrigation piping?
Hi, I'd not heard the term PE pipe so I googled and this is what I found...it may help you in your decision....I'd go with the less expensive option...https://en.lesso.com/blogs/pe-pipe-guide/

Reactions: Seb
I've used a combination of both and finally run full PVC up to the manifold. PE is good for large plots where you need the flexibility to make fluid bends and twists but PVC is great for its rigidness and is a more permanent solution imo. The decision really comes down to your setup and how skilled you are with plumbing.

I've got Lowes and HD minutes from my house and drive a truck. I use PVC because of this, cheap, easy, always available, great for our uses.

If I was in the boonies, I might consider PE. Other than shipping, I personally see no advantages. YMMV

I've used a combination of both and finally run full PVC up to the manifold. PE is good for large plots where you need the flexibility to make fluid bends and twists but PVC is great for its rigidness and is a more permanent solution imo. The decision really comes down to your setup and how skilled you are with plumbing.
You can heat and bend pvc as well......hot air works well but it can get brittle if over heated or with a torch that can either burn it or crack it when it cools but small off sets or just a kick to get around something heating and bending it is pretty easy..........

We used to ( 50 years ago) make bends in 6" pvc by submerging the pipe in hot water, pipe was full of sand and capped. Then a jig so every bend was the same and it didn't flatten in the bends.

Back
Top Bottom