Starch for cannabis?

Ikilledit

Puff Paladin
Reaction score
I was scrolling through YouTube and saw a video of people using rinsed rice water. They were also using the boiled rice water. I was under the assumption that the reason you rinse rice was to remove starch of coarse and other contaminants like dirt, bugs, chemicals and heavy metals.

My thought is wouldn’t potato rinse water be a better alternative. When I peel 5 or 6 potatoes and rinse them. The water is pretty cloudy. Most times I rinse 2 maybe 3 times. But wouldn’t the first rinse be the most concentrated with natural starches and sugars. Also what benefit would it have ?

I was scrolling through YouTube and saw a video of people using rinsed rice water. They were also using the boiled rice water. I was under the assumption that the reason you rinse rice was to remove starch of coarse and other contaminants like dirt, bugs, chemicals and heavy metals.

My thought is wouldn’t potato rinse water be a better alternative. When I peel 5 or 6 potatoes and rinse them. The water is pretty cloudy. Most times I rinse 2 maybe 3 times. But wouldn’t the first rinse be the most concentrated with natural starches and sugars. Also what benefit would it have ?
The starch content in potato water is high you are right on with that one. People that have diabetes are told to cut rinse three times and soak the potatoes for a two hour period and rinse again prior to cooking.
What was touted as the benefit from all of this?

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, start looking into if plants uptake carbohydrates and can be used in a meaningful way.

Products like Bud Candy exist to "fill that need". I assume providing sugars directly thru the roots would be the killer app being touted here for this use of starch.

You seem like a fart smeller smart feller, I'd like to hear your thoughts before telling you mine! If you want to start on a specific path, the starch in potatoes is dextrose. In what way could a cannabis plant use it? Can it replace some amount of photosynthesis by getting sugars directly?

Fun fun fun.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole, start looking into if plants uptake carbohydrates and can be used in a meaningful way.

Products like Bud Candy exist to "fill that need". I assume providing sugars directly thru the roots would be the killer app being touted here for this use of starch.

You seem like a fart smeller smart feller, I'd like to hear your thoughts before telling you mine! If you want to start on a specific path, the starch in potatoes is dextrose. In what way could a cannabis plant use it? Can it replace some amount of photosynthesis by getting sugars directly?

Fun fun fun.
Bud Candy is predominantly molasses is it not?

Bud Candy is predominantly molasses is it not?

1706291878457.png

Fuel your crops with a jolt of flower-boosting energy when they need it most. Bud Candy® features a premium blend of carbohydrates that team up with magnesium, creating optimal conditions to increase floral growth and amplify desirable aromas.

• Carbohydrates nourish beneficial microbes, creating ideal conditions to expand the roots for ample yields
  • Magnesium supports optimal conditions for chlorophyll production that can increase photosynthetic ability

Bud Candy® is specially designed for use with diverse hydroponic growing media and all continuous liquid-feed growing systems such as aeroponics, drip irrigation and emitters, NFT, flood and drain, and deep water culture.

And there's MORE!

Bud Candy®, the Industry’s Leading Horticultural Formula

After years of research and development, our team identified the optimal blend of carbohydrates fertilizer for growers seeking their most flavorful yields yet.

When you add this premium product to your nutrient lineup, you’re getting . . .

• Five different sources of carbohydrates, a starting point to terpene production for unlocking fragrant, flavorful yields.
  • A combination of simple and complex carbohydrates for nourishing beneficial microbes, expanding your root zone and providing critical nutrition for huge, aromatic yields.
  • The essential secondary nutrient magnesium, so you can support optimal chlorophyll production and stabilize plant productivity.
And the results speak for themselves…

More cannabis growers rely on Bud Candy® than any other carbohydrate biostimulant on the planet.

I now see they have removed all the research about how the plants take up carbs via roots from their website. A year ago it was there. I guess they got called out by real scientists on that BS claim, and now only say it feeds the micros in the system. Marketing BS thru and thru. I guess I'm tipping my hat to my stance here a bit...

Interesting! Years ago when this first hit the market it was predominantly molasses. If you compare the breakdown minus the non food components it’s still very similar. Molasses is full of carbs, magnesium and calcium.

Is bud candy really all that good or is it another one of those things that people will overuse and burn the living daylights out of their plants with?

I’m not referring to anyone specific here, just in general population, good or no good?

Is bud candy really all that good
No.

I'm going to call it "snake oil'.

or is it another one of those things that people will overuse and burn the living daylights out of their plants with?
Probably won't burn plants
there's no NPK in it

You can probably achieve the same thing with molasses/honey/ and Epsom salt=mag sulfate

And its AN, fuck AN.

It's just someone else's math/formula ferts added to water, for a mark up.

To take advantage of all the new home growers.

Last edited:
I now see they have removed all the research about how the plants take up carbs via roots from their website. A year ago it was there. I guess they got called out by real scientists on that BS claim, and now only say it feeds the micros in the system. Marketing BS thru and thru. I guess I'm tipping my hat to my stance here a bit...
i found it on thewaybackmachine lol

@Moe.Red my thought are why bother with it. Most of it can’t be used as a stand alone fertilizer. Use once a week while using your schedule nutrients. Just seems pointless. As for sugar I thought cannabis produced its own sugar through photosynthesis by transforming solar energy into O2 and glucose. I was under the impression Bud Candy was to feed the macro and micro organisms in soil. But I’ve read debates about it being pointless when used with synthetic fertilizers. I’m not very familiar with homemade organic fertilizers when using plant material. Seems like a guessing game with no NPK numbers.

I grow completely organic and I do utilize molasses. For a few reasons. Microbial activity and the natural mag and cal.

I grow completely organic and I do utilize molasses. For a few reasons. Microbial activity and the natural mag and cal.
Same here. I’ve read that the microbes have to break down the molasses before the plant can benefit from it. So the microbes eat, then poop so the plant can use it.

Edit But I have read that Big Bud was glorified Molasses as well.

Same here. I’ve read that the microbes have to break down the molasses before the plant can benefit from it. So the microbes eat, then poop so the plant can use it.
yes

but actually

in short, in "orgnanics", you feed the bugs, the microbes, they break things down into Ions, that then the plant can uptake.

Back
Top Bottom