What is the Impact of Grow Medium on Leaf Temps?

Seb

Ganja Guerrilla
Reaction score
I am running different strains in coco and soil side by side. The difference in leaf temps between coco and soil plants is noticeable. In a previous RDWC grow I had one soil plant in the tent which also had 2-3C higher leaf temps compared to the hydro plant. Plants in coco also seem to run cooler than those in soil.

Are my observations coincidence or has anybody else noticed this?

Solution
Is the coco plant growing faster?

Higher levels of respiration will drop leaf temp. Coco typically has better air / water permeability than soil, and is what contributes to a dialed in coco grow going faster than soil. Side effect of sucking up more water is plant is cooler.

Higher levels of respiration will drop leaf temp. Coco typically has better air / water permeability than soil, and is what contributes to a dialed in coco grow going faster than soil. Side effect of sucking up more water is plant is cooler.

Solution

What sort of differential are we talking about coco vs soil as far as plant temp differences?

What sort of differential are we talking about coco vs soil as far as plant temp differences?
🤷‍♂️

Variables man.

Like when growing outside and it gets over 100*F - water the shit out of the plants to keep them happy. Evaporative cooling. How much you get is based on a ton of variables.

2-3C. I was just curious if it was random.

I guess it is down to some variables in a specific combination in my grow. Otherwise temps seem to have not been observed or been of any interest or significance. Now I know.

🤷‍♂️

Variables man.

Like when growing outside and it gets over 100*F - water the shit out of the plants to keep them happy. Evaporative cooling. How much you get is based on a ton of variables.
What if we're talking about a more controlled environment like a tent? Not looking for an exact number so much as a range for me to work on as a parameter.

Prof Bugbee talks about leaf temps around 32minutes. Well watered plants are more likely to have cool leaves. Plants in soil during a dry cycle are more likely to have cooler leaves. That matches with my observations and just makes sense in general.

My interpretation is that in Coco and DWC plant leaves are more likely to have consistent and lower temperatures compared to soil grows. I think that has been where we were headed in this thread and the Prof confirms it. I thought I'd share...

Since the temps increase when the plant starts to run out of water I assume that causes additional stress because the plant is trying to reduce perspiration which becomes harder at higher temperatures / VPD...

Prof Bugbee talks about leaf temps around 32minutes. Well watered plants are more likely to have cool leaves. Plants in soil during a dry cycle are more likely to have cooler leaves. That matches with my observations and just makes sense in general.

My interpretation is that in Coco and DWC plant leaves are more likely to have consistent and lower temperatures compared to soil grows. I think that has been where we were headed in this thread and the Prof confirms it. I thought I'd share...

Since the temps increase when the plant starts to run out of water I assume that causes additional stress because the plant is trying to reduce perspiration which becomes harder at higher temperatures / VPD...
Fuck did I miss this one In the bugbee thread, I may have.

2-3C. I was just curious if it was random.

I guess it is down to some variables in a specific combination in my grow. Otherwise temps seem to have not been observed or been of any interest or significance. Now I know.
Aqua mentioned he's seen up to 10f difference

Back
Top Bottom