Cornwood deck underlayment rusting

Does anyone have a suggestion, looks like the underlayment was not steel. The deck is 10 years old, not in the tain too much.View attachment 65041View attachment 65040

i don't think there's much left you can do with that other than replace it. it's so thin you can't even scab it with other metal. maybe find some kind of resin material or plastic to replace it with so it doesn't keep happening.

Thanks Stoney, yes it is looking pretty far gone under that part. What kind of resin material ( know there's a lot of resin here on Budbuilders) or plastics are you talking about. I can take the picture to the hardware store and ask them what they think, which is always interesting. I thought about blowing a bunch of foam underneath and just screwing the board on top, but that's not a very elegant solution....

Thanks Stoney, yes it is looking pretty far gone under that part. What kind of resin material ( know there's a lot of resin here on Budbuilders) or plastics are you talking about. I can take the picture to the hardware store and ask them what they think, which is always interesting. I thought about blowing a bunch of foam underneath and just screwing the board on top, but that's not a very elegant solution....

man if you could get the foam even that would work well... you could even make disposable forms so you wouldn't have to use so much. in the states we have a product called polywood and it's lumber in common sizes extruded from plastic. people on the water make docks from it and it lasts for like 30 years.

i like your foam idea if you can make forms and shave the top even it could work.

When you said 'disposable forms' 🛎🛎🛎 the little bell went off in my brain. WHAT about putting sand (got lots) inside of 10 ltr vinegar plastic bottles as underlayment -- and putting in some steel (have) under the new boards? My thought is cut one more board so it is easier to work around the area. You can see it is likely weak all down that stretch. I also am thinking how lucky I am to have friends that I have never seen care enough to offer their ideas and encouragement.

Attachments

• 20240710_101236.jpg
    20240710_101236.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 7
When you said 'disposable forms' 🛎🛎🛎 the little bell went off in my brain. WHAT about putting sand (got lots) inside of 10 ltr vinegar plastic bottles as underlayment -- and putting in some steel (have) under the new boards? My thought is cut one more board so it is easier to work around the area. You can see it is likely weak all down that stretch. I also am thinking how lucky I am to have friends that I have never seen care enough to offer their ideas and encouragement.

working with what ya got, there's no better feeling when it works!!!

sure won't rot away.. and if you already have some support metal to span in between it should last you quite a few years before you need to deal with it again at least.

i couldn't even count the things i've made with trees and rocks... it's what i have the most of so gotta use it somehow!

still looks like hard work though!

20240710_122725.jpg

i'm sure that plastic will break down over time but i bet it last longer than steel!!! hopefully it keeps its shape. if so you got a quick and ez fix.. :D

i'm sure that plastic will break down over time but i bet it last longer than steel!!! hopefully it keeps its shape. if so you got a quick and ez fix.. :D
Satisfaction in knowing I can drill down and spray more foam in other potential trouble spots. Included some more bamboo, sand, styrofoam and a turboencabulator with gasket glue. We'll see tomorrow what is what, but for now happy as Larry.

i have a love hate relationship with styrofoam... fun fact about me.. in my adult life i have never thrown away styrofoam in he trash. i had it stashed up at one point almost an entire shed full!!! then i stuffed every single piece of it in the ceiling of my garage to insulate it!!! sounds ridiculous but it was free and not kernel of it went to the landfill!!!

i have a love hate relationship with styrofoam... fun fact about me.. in my adult life i have never thrown away styrofoam in he trash. i had it stashed up at one point almost an entire shed full!!! then i stuffed every single piece of it in the ceiling of my garage to insulate it!!! sounds ridiculous but it was free and not kernel of it went to the landfill!!!

Luckily the city takes that stuff in the recycling bin so I don't have to stockpile but I do find these videos of cutting styrofoam strangely therapeutic.

Luckily the city takes that stuff in the recycling bin so I don't have to stockpile but I do find these videos of cutting styrofoam strangely therapeutic.

i can't speak for your city at all man but mine is trash.. literally.. ever since china stopped buying the recycling from the US my local company stopped separating it. they now just bring one truck around to pick up everything and it all goes to the local landfill. plastic, styrofoam.. all of it!!! our landfill is kinda close i can't smell it or anything but it's in my township and i can get there in less than a ten minute ride down the highway. you can dump anything you want there as long as you pay money and have a yellow vest to wear!

you know i'm not a fan of wasting anything at all so it's a touchy subject for me. i'm not sure if there are any recycling plants other than separators and packers here in the states.. i believe all places actually using those old plastics are in other countries where all the manufacturing is done. can't remember the last time i saw a plastic bottle made in the usa..

i'm sure there are a few in the usa that recycle materials but sadly not around me...

man it is raining sidewayz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL:

Might as well reinforce some of the future problem areas and give it 1 good coat of Berger stain

Attachments

• 20240714_091418.jpg
    20240714_091418.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 3
Does anyone have a suggestion, looks like the underlayment was not steel. The deck is 10 years old, not in the tain too much.View attachment 65041View attachment 65040
Are you looking for ideas just to fix this one area? If so, I would cut some 2x pressure treated....2x6 would be nice but, 2x4 if there is not enough room. Cut these pieces so they will span 5 deck boards. Then slip them in so they cover the 2 deck boards on either side of the one that's removed.
Use a lever and some pressure and pry up one end...... to the underside of decking. Drive a screw thru the top side of decking into that 2x.....then do the other side. Then screw it off. Do that at every steel member that's there. Then take some concrete mix and make that pt wood be supported. Close it back up.

If you plan on staying there for any length of time, if it was me, I would pull up all the floor boards and rebuild the entire supporting frame. Even with the temporary fixes you're going to run into the same problem as the other areas rot away over time.

It could be just that area is bad but my experience with rust and metal is that the dime size spot of rust you see is probably a foot in diameter if you remove the coating. Your rust issue is considerably bigger.

Well, wife and I talked about it but neither one of us wanted to get that medievil yet. When you ask 'how long' are you going to be there....IDK is my best guess....10 years? Lets see how this patch goes and then circle the wagons. Thanks for your input and vote for the 'right' way. You are of course Mr 'right' --) just not 'right' now.

Back
Top Bottom