Does soluble seaweed extract 'harden' your buds?

Mars_Barz

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
Is there any hard data on this?

This claim is made by my local hydroponics store

I'm interested in this stuff because I'd like to experiment with foliar feeding my plants someday, and I hear using this stuff is good for that.

From my limited research on this matter, seaweed is a PGR and those things have an effect on the overall mass of a plant at the cost of flavour and/or overall potency.

Has anyone here ever used this stuff and noticed drastic effects made on the end product, so much that you consider it a 'must use' product in your collection?

Is there any hard data on this?

This claim is made by my local hydroponics store

I'm interested in this stuff because I'd like to experiment with foliar feeding my plants someday, and I hear using this stuff is good for that.

From my limited research on this matter, seaweed is a PGR and those things have an effect on the overall mass of a plant at the cost of flavour and/or overall potency.

Has anyone here ever used this stuff and noticed drastic effects made on the end product, so much that you consider it a 'must use' product in your collection?
I have soluble seaweed extract but I've only used tiny amounts of it during veg so far

I'll start using it more and see if there's any noticeable difference, and I'll use it more in flower, I only used it as a root zone and not foliar application and once during transition

It did seem to affect elongation.

Never tried seaweed extract but have used silica. Tends to make the buds 'harder'. We used to run it all the way through flower, but have since started to cut it out week 5/6. No science to back it up, just personal experience, the branches get brittle and the nugs turn to grinder busters when we ran it all the way through.

Never tried seaweed extract but have used silica. Tends to make the buds 'harder'. We used to run it all the way through flower, but have since started to cut it out week 5/6. No science to back it up, just personal experience, the branches get brittle and the nugs turn to grinder busters when we ran it all the way through.
Your observations are bang on

Seaweed and a specific species contains triacontanol which is a PGR. I forget whatbi used to use but you do NOT want to use it during veg as it will cause some massive stretch.

oh dam that was it massive by green planet. Works extremely well.

Triacontanol can be derived from bees wax, alfalfa and kelp to name a few common ones. IMO use from week 2-6 or finish using before the last 2 weeks of flower

Seaweed and a specific species contains triacontanol which is a PGR. I forget whatbi used to use but you do NOT want to use it during veg as it will cause some massive stretch.

Triacontanol can be derived from bees wax, alfalfa and kelp to name a few common ones. IMO use from week 2-6 or finish using before the last 2 weeks of flower
It'll cause stretch even as a foliar spray?

So it is beneficial for use in flower? It doesn't mitigate the other aforementioned effects?

So it is beneficial for use in flower? It doesn't mitigate the other aforementioned effects?
Yes triacontanol is a plant growth hormone. Applied either foliar or to roots it will have the same effect. Its more effective as a foliar as most things are

Hmm mitigate which? Just want to be sure i answer accurately

potency and/or flavour profile
Depends on the ingredients but triacontanol does not.

I think if you look at the ingredients by your description it will be kelp, potassium silicate, fulvic/humic acid and magnesium sulphate. Ir very similar.

The kelp is a PGR. The sulphur helps with perps and flavonoids, the magnesium helps with the burn, potassium is in high demand in flower, silica will harden bud and plant tissue.

Thats your typical bud booster.

Depends on the ingredients but triacontanol does not.

I think if you look at the ingredients by your description it will be kelp, potassium silicate, fulvic/humic acid and magnesium sulphate. Ir very similar.

The kelp is a PGR. The sulphur helps with perps and flavonoids, the magnesium helps with the burn, potassium is in high demand in flower, silica will harden bud and plant tissue.

Thats your typical bud booster.
Apparently this stuff is pure seaweed - https://www.gaiagreen.com/product-page/soluble-sea-weed-extract

It's also REALLY expensive. Would I get similar or better results if I opted instead for potassium sulfate?

I have soluble seaweed extract but I've only used tiny amounts of it during veg so far

I'll start using it more and see if there's any noticeable difference, and I'll use it more in flower, I only used it as a root zone and not foliar application and once during transition

It did seem to affect elongation.
I don't need elongation, see my thread of PDR & mystery #2 plant. I like hardend buds for eye appeal, only. SS PGR's are Plant Growth Regulators.

I used Massive by Green Planet, liked it but it went up in price, so I found Rooted Leaf and Canna coco play nice.

I used Massive by Green Planet, liked it but it went up in price, so I found Rooted Leaf and Canna coco play nice.
Nice i haven’t looked whats in the but they are similar to massive

I had Massive 1-2-3 for flower stage, was ok, no better than the alternative I decided on, Canna is a two part,A&B ,A has calcium, B has magnesium. Cheers @Aqua Man

We ran massive, at 1/4 dosage, during one run.

Pros:
Massive Nugs all around, you can see in our run documented on the other site.
Good calix ratios

Cons:
Stretched everyone like a mother fucker. Legit had plants stretch like 5-6 feet.
We had a lot of herms that run. We haven't ever experienced them prior to that, or since. Can't say it's related, but sure seems interesting.
Really pushes the PPM's up. Like a lot.

Would never do again. I don't want to ever deal with stretch that insane again.

Due to the fact that I run seaweed extract from start to the last two weeks, I have to disagree with some of this. Could be the amount, or even the brand. I start out using 3ml per gallon and work it up to a max of 10ml per gal.
I do have nice packed buds, fantastic terps and have not noticed any unusual stretching.
IMG_2192.jpeg

Last edited:
Due to the fact that I run seaweed extract from start to the last two weeks, I have to disagree with some of this. Could be the amount, or even the brand. I start out using 3ml per gallon and work it up to a max of 10ml per gal.
I do have nice packed buds, fantastic terps and have not noticed any unusual stretching.
View attachment 63620
Is specific type of kelp that contains triacontanol. That type of kelp contains some cytokines

It also contained aminos etc

Any products containing triacontanol in an adequate dosage will be quite expensive.

Many people list kelp in a kind of marketing ploy because of the huge increase in growth from triacontanol it is still beneficial but its mostly marketing.

This why products like massive are very expensive

Last edited:
A gallon of massive at $100 will only make 200gal.

I would assume that the auff you are using @CannaGranny has next to no triacontanol by the time you mix it even if it had the same amount of triacontanol per gal to start with. Bit im fairly sure looking at the price it could not.

Devil is always in the dose.

IMG_2131.png

A gallon of massive at $100 will only make 200gal.

I would assume that the auff you are using @CannaGranny has next to no triacontanol by the time you mix it even if it had the same amount of triacontanol per gal to start with. Bit im fairly sure looking at the price it could not.

Devil is always in the dose.

View attachment 63626
That’s what I was thinking. Ive been using this stuff for the past ten years and I love the outcome. At any rate I 100% agree with you!

That’s what I was thinking. Ive been using this stuff for the past ten years and I love the outcome. At any rate I 100% agree with you!
Yeah don’t het me wrong there are definitely advantages to using that. You just don’t see the triacontanol effects to the extent that some other products give.

The aminos in the stuff you use are reason enough by themselves to ise it and its a great price

Yeah don’t het me wrong there are definitely advantages to using that. You just don’t see the triacontanol effects to the extent that some other products give.

The aminos in the stuff you use are reason enough by themselves to ise it and its a great price
I’m totally happy with it. I use this in conjunction with other products but keep the grow 100% organic. After looking at your example, it makes perfect sense. 🙂

PS..I’m also as tight with my money as bark on a tree! 🥹😂🥹

PS..I’m also as tight with my money as bark on a tree! 🥹😂🥹
Me too i couldn’t justify it indoors… just to much stretch that created massive extra work and anxiety.

Lol you should have seen the time i tried it on seedlings…. My god not a good idea. Thats the reason im bald

It aure dod it jib though. And used at half dose after stretch really did fatten the buds ip

Back
Top Bottom