Dry Nute Recommendations for R/DWC

GrumpAzz

Wingin' it
Staff member
Contest Guy
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've been on the same jugs of GH Flora Trio for a little over a year now and I've been debating switching it up for this next grow of mine. I still have a half gallon of each left.

Anybody out there running dry nutes in your RDWC? Pros and cons? Ease of use? I assume powders will be much easier than liquids.

Line-ups I've looked into so far would be NPK Raw, GH's maxi line, Mega-Crop 2 part and also Jack's.

Anybody have any experience with these and which would you recommend? I'm not sold on supplements yet, but you may be able to sway me towards some boosters if you've got an appealing anecdote.

I like the mega crop 2 part combined with massive in flower and a small bump of mag sulphate for terps and flavonoid's. I will also run potassium silicate as a buffer and source of silica slightly higher in veg than flower.

Massive is not needed though.

The mega crop calculator allows you to see the exact ppm of each nutrient so that makes it easy to tinker with ratios and not worry about throwing your ratios out of whack.

This is the calculator.

You can get a 3lb bag of each for like $20. To try out that makes about 600gallons at 500ppm or balls to the wall with 25lb bags for just under $70 which will do about 5000 gallons at 500ppm which is typically about where i run it.

I like the mega crop 2 part combined with massive in flower and a small bump of mag sulphate for terps and flavonoid's. I will also run potassium silicate as a buffer and source of silica slightly higher in veg than flower.

Massive is not needed though.

The mega crop calculator allows you to see the exact ppm of each nutrient so that makes it easy to tinker with ratios and not worry about throwing your ratios out of whack.

This is the calculator.

There are a few people talking about being upset when the switched up their formulas. That's on reddit anyway and the comments I read were 3 years ago.

Do you know anything about that?

There are a few people talking about being upset when the switched up their formulas. That's on reddit anyway and the comments I read were 3 years ago.

Do you know anything about that?
Yup the Ca to Mg ratio changes and they used cheaper chelates. That caused some sediment in the mix. Its not perfect but i atill like the fact i get to see the ppm.

As i told you in staff chat. Jacks and other possibly use higher quality and more diverse sources. But a simply adaptation of ratios fixes issues.

Its like anything that changes ratios. You need to change to compensate.

I will say jacks and raw are also good options if you decide to go that route… maybe even better because of those reasons but i like the ability to see the pom of each element and adjust based on plant response. I found a 50-50 mix to be ideal start to finish. With or without the addition of massive. Although you cannot beat the addition yield and quality when adding it. Bit it also can make space an issue indoor when not accommodating for extra height

Thanks @Aqua Man. You're our go-to hydro guy so your input holds a lot of weight. MC is VERY affordable, also. I've been down this rabbit hole pretty much all day. Boring workday on the 4th so I've been digging like crazy. Ready to get home and pop some shit with the toddler.

Anybody else use dry nutes in their Hydro system? @moe.red? What's your nute lineup?

Edit: You referenced Massive. Is that called Bud Explosion now? I'm not seeing Massive on their site.

Thanks @Aqua Man. You're our go-to hydro guy so your input holds a lot of weight. MC is VERY affordable, also. I've been down this rabbit hole pretty much all day. Boring workday on the 4th so I've been digging like crazy. Ready to get home and pop some shit with the toddler.

Anybody else use dry nutes in their Hydro system? @moe.red? What's your nute lineup?

Edit: You referenced Massive. Is that called Bud Explosion now? I'm not seeing Massive on their site.
Nope massive by green planet its not a dry nutrient. Its largest benefit being triacontanol

Its a 1-2-3 ratio flowering supplement thats really add weight and stretch to the buds and plants

I run this stuff along with powersi silica
I like their attitude and no bullcrap packaging. I emailed them about a few thing like Calmag and silicate additives. We'll see how their customer service is, I suppose.

Do you use any silicate additives or calmag with your grows? I use 0ppm RO/DI water and extra calmag is a must. Plus epsom usually gets thrown in for a mag boost.

I like their attitude and no bullcrap packaging. I emailed them about a few thing like Calmag and silicate additives. We'll see how their customer service is, I suppose.

Do you use any silicate additives or calmag with your grows? I use 0ppm RO/DI water and extra calmag is a must. Plus epsom usually gets thrown in for a mag boost.
I haven’t used calmag at all since switching to this brand Ive used RO and tap without issues and their customer service I thought was really good. I messaged them and they got back to me quickly and answered all my questions. The runclean stuff they make works well too, it’s kept my lines and reservoir clean with no slimy crap or calcium stains and I use it just like a ph down

I haven’t used calmag at all since switching to this brand Ive used RO and tap without issues and their customer service I thought was really good. I messaged them and they got back to me quickly and answered all my questions. The runclean stuff they make works well too, it’s kept my lines and reservoir clean with no slimy crap or calcium stains and I use it just like a ph down
They responded saying if you follow their feedchart, there is no need for extra cal or mag and also that you can run Agsil16 with with no issues.

I'll have to start doing some math to really make this decision for me. I like what I've seen so far with Cropsalt, but I also like what I see with Jack's. RAW's individual nutrient packs, like seperate bags for all the N, P, K and macros are really cool but I don't see myself mixing up my own ratios. It would, however, make it pretty simple to fix certain deficiencies. I just don't think I'm on that level yet.

They responded saying if you follow their feedchart, there is no need for extra cal or mag and also that you can run Agsil16 with with no issues.

I'll have to start doing some math to really make this decision for me. I like what I've seen so far with Cropsalt, but I also like what I see with Jack's. RAW's individual nutrient packs, like seperate bags for all the N, P, K and macros are really cool but I don't see myself mixing up my own ratios. It would, however, make it pretty simple to fix certain deficiencies. I just don't think I'm on that level yet.
You wont need cal mag with any nutrients. Almost are designed for RO water. With the exception of some made for hard water that have reduced cal and mag for that reason.

Cal mag is a kind of snake oil in a sense. But it does come in handy to give them a bump if needed. Although I don’t think i have ever seen a true lack of Ca ever. Same with Mg its usually an uptake issue or ratio from adding other additives or pH.

Maybe in coco because of the CEC and affinity for K and i think Ca. But can’t remember a time it was lack of

Run Jack's at like 60% of their recommended and only A/B. Use PowerSi for silica and Purpintor for PK boost. 100% R/O water.

We've thought about switching to MC since it's a cheaper version of Jacks, but the first time we bought Jack's I bought three 25lb bags of each. Yeah, only made through one of those bags so far.

Back
Top Bottom