Honey

steamroller

Average guy who gets high. AKA the Slacker.
Staff member
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
So lots of internet blabber about infusing honey with cannabis.
Any science on this?
I am making two batches today.
Both 1 ounce hash plant bud for 16 oz honey.
Decarbed @ 230 for 30 minutes and into the honey in boiling water for around 8 hours.
I would love to hear or learn of the science on this.
I have a buddy whose girl does not smoke but does edibles so she will be my test.
Last time I used 1 oz for 48 ounces honey as that is all the LevoC fits for herb and it needed to be completely covered so it took 48 ounces of honey.
That did not seem potent.

The 2 primary options for carrying cannabinoids in a mixture are sugar and fat. Water does not work well.

Simple syrup has been used for decades and is well understood, using sucrose. Works because of the sugar, not the water.

• Honey is between one and one-and-a-half times sweeter than sucrose (table sugar).
  • Honey is approximately 40% fructose, 30% glucose and 17% water, with the remainder being other sugars, carbohydrates and a small amount of vitamins and minerals.
Fructose

220px-Beta-D-Fructofuranose.svg.png

Sucrose

Sucrose.png

vs THC

tetrahydrocannabinol-thc-structural-formula.jpg

I'd need to do a little more digging, but it seems to me like honey will carry THC perfectly well. I don't know how well they will stay blended in solution, but my guess is indefinitely just like sucrose. Fructose is very much like 1/2 a sucrose molecule.

I think you are making an Oxymel (from Latin 'acid and honey') similar to a tincture or an elixir.

Just curious if you did the math on that ratio? or if I'm doing it correctly?????

I'm gonna pick the number 20% for a 'general' decarbed THC potency for the "hash plant bud" you used. So 1oz=28gr, 28x 20= 5600mg or 5.6gr THC from 1oz of bud.
Honey is 48oz x 28gr = 1344 gr of honey. 1344 / 5.6 = 240 so you have a 240 to 1 ratio in miligrams. 10mg is the max rec dosage here in CO. Med doses go up to 50mg. It takes 2.4gr of honey to get a 10mg dose? I think.

Put that same 5.6gr of THC into 448gr (16x28=448) and the ratio is 80 to 1. So .8gr of honey will be a 10mg dose of THC, if my math and brain are working together. :geek: o_O

Just curious if you did the math on that ratio? or if I'm doing it correctly?????

I'm gonna pick the number 20% for a 'general' decarbed THC potency for the "hash plant bud" you used. So 1oz=28gr, 28x 20= 5600mg or 5.6gr THC from 1oz of bud.
Honey is 48oz x 28gr = 1344 gr of honey. 1344 / 5.6 = 240 so you have a 240 to 1 ratio in miligrams. 10mg is the max rec dosage here in CO. Med doses go up to 50mg. It takes 2.4gr of honey to get a 10mg dose? I think.

Put that same 5.6gr of THC into 448gr (16x28=448) and the ratio is 80 to 1. So .8gr of honey will be a 10mg dose of THC, if my math and brain are working together. :geek: o_O
:unsure: :ROFLMAO:🥴(y) I'll trust your math for the basic idea~!
So after I squeezed the cheese cloth between two stainless screened colanders/strainer and thought there was a bunch left in it.
Fear not I have 190 grain alcohol and took the two oz and the honey soaked cheese cloth snd they are soaking in another mason jar with the 190.
Much to my surprise the 190 does not really cut the honey like I expected. It made me wonder.
Then I looked at how to mix honey and without heat like in tea, honey needs to made into a simple syrup by mixing 1:1 with water.
Bring to a boil and mix. They say it keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge. I have not done that yet.
I did have 2 Sunny Delights with about a 1/2 shot of some of the soaked 190.
I slept all night like I have not in years!!:p
Going toss a spoonful in some tea for now.
It came out pretty dark.
DSC_0268.JPGDSC_0269.JPGDSC_0268.JPG

Last edited:
I add a little lecithin to my honey, seems to make it a little more potent... but overall I find it a more chill edible, good for an evening cup of herbal tea. I think next time I make it I'll try a different method, maybe the water bath method... I usually use my magic butter machine.

I do the honey. I use 7-8g of sugar leaves and 8g of flower. I do a quart at a time. I’m not big on edibles, but I love the honey.

We do honey also but with concentrates.i do 2 grams per quart for my wife.makes it about 30 milgrams per spoon full. I put 4 to 5 grams in a jar for me.

Ummm no wonder I sleep so well! I add sixteen grams. That would be 240mg pr spoonful 🤪
I use concentrates not flower.im not sure how many milgrams yours would be with 16 grams of flower and sugar leaf.thats why I stopped making edibles with flower I never realy knew how strong they would be and would always end up on the loosing end of gamble dose?

:unsure: :ROFLMAO:🥴(y) I'll trust your math for the basic idea~!
So after I squeezed the cheese cloth between two stainless screened colanders/strainer and thought there was a bunch left in it.
Fear not I have 190 grain alcohol and took the two oz and the honey soaked cheese cloth snd they are soaking in another mason jar with the 190.
Much to my surprise the 190 does not really cut the honey like I expected. It made me wonder.
Then I looked at how to mix honey and without heat like in tea, honey needs to made into a simple syrup by mixing 1:1 with water.
Bring to a boil and mix. They say it keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge. I have not done that yet.
I did have 2 Sunny Delights with about a 1/2 shot of some of the soaked 190.
I slept all night like I have not in years!!:p
Going toss a spoonful in some tea for now.
It came out pretty dark.
View attachment 278View attachment 279View attachment 278
Mine only had 0.5-1.0 oz flower and equal sugar leaves.

My wife hates sugar but now loves a black tea with honey at night. We sleep better and longer. Edibles don’t do anything for us normally.

Wifey also makes brownies with the vape leftovers but started making these cookies, like the Christmas ones I like with coconut and oatmeal.
6A9C71A9-F34F-419E-952F-6317DE9675F3.jpeg

Dark ones have extra chocolate and ABV.

Only downside is I get bunged up for a week. But I sleep better. 🤣

Wifey went through the honey fast so I’m out until next harvest. Can’t risk using oz’s if things go wrong...again. 😔

But honey is on the list going forward. Just don’t have the $$$ to play in the oil/hash game.

We had to use a new nylon stocking last time. We have cheese cloth now.
2D8DD86F-E27E-4300-9D3F-9EA2F8961696.jpeg

Squeezing by hand was hot even with gloves.

Mine only had 0.5-1.0 oz flower and equal sugar leaves.

My wife hates sugar but now loves a black tea with honey at night. We sleep better and longer. Edibles don’t do anything for us normally.

Wifey also makes brownies with the vape leftovers but started making these cookies, like the Christmas ones I like with coconut and oatmeal.
View attachment 2939

Dark ones have extra chocolate and ABV.

Only downside is I get bunged up for a week. But I sleep better. 🤣

Wifey went through the honey fast so I’m out until next harvest. Can’t risk using oz’s if things go wrong...again. 😔

But honey is on the list going forward. Just don’t have the $$$ to play in the oil/hash game.

We had to use a new nylon stocking last time. We have cheese cloth now.
View attachment 2942

Squeezing by hand was hot even with gloves.
i've yet to figure out the best way to extract all the liquid from flower like that, man. gloves don't work, tongs are a PITA, and almost inevitably we wind up losing at least 25% of our starting liquid volume to the plant material simply because we can't effectively extract it all.

thinking next time i make coconut oil, or honey, that i'll just go the concentrate route. some QWISO will make the process significantly easier vs dealing with all the plant matter.

i've yet to figure out the best way to extract all the liquid from flower like that, man. gloves don't work, tongs are a PITA, and almost inevitably we wind up losing at least 25% of our starting liquid volume to the plant material simply because we can't effectively extract it all.

thinking next time i make coconut oil, or honey, that i'll just go the concentrate route. some QWISO will make the process significantly easier vs dealing with all the plant matter.
Other than getting the honey into the stocking squeezing was the hardest part. I’m strong enough but it’s hot even with gloves. The more it cools the less it runs.

Until I can scrape $$$ this is what I have. It works, but if you have a better way that doesn’t cost a lot I’ll switch.

Before honey it was tea. That was fine but messy and takes hours of my time. Honey it’s mostly crock pot time.

Back
Top Bottom