Last two weeks, go dry or water until chop?

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
welp, I have 10 days until the foothills plants meet the trimmers.
Everyone is fading yellow and smelling rich.

The fabric pots are large (around 15 gal). I watered with pure rain water this morning with the plan to let the dry out until chop.
My temps are mid to upper 60s with lights on and humidity in the mid or upper 40s.
lights out temp drops to low 60s, humidity rise to mid 50s.

I’m hoping that by giving no more water until chop, the plant will begin drying out a bit.

IS this a reasonable approach or should they be watered right up to chop?

Thank you my friends!

I would be concerned leaving a plant exposed to lights without water.
Think of drying up/out your terps under the lights.
When we dry our stuff most attempt darkness.
Not sure if that would be good when still in soil with possible moisture.
I know I have heard of people drying their plant still in the pot just not sure how they do it.
It never seemed what I wanted to do?

You flush coco, not the plant, you can go to straight rain water or RO water last week to help wash the coco, the plant will take nutes thru the entire grow if you wish. SS

welp, I have 10 days until the foothills plants meet the trimmers.
Everyone is fading yellow and smelling rich.

The fabric pots are large (around 15 gal). I watered with pure rain water this morning with the plan to let the dry out until chop.
My temps are mid to upper 60s with lights on and humidity in the mid or upper 40s.
lights out temp drops to low 60s, humidity rise to mid 50s.

I’m hoping that by giving no more water until chop, the plant will begin drying out a bit.

IS this a reasonable approach or should they be watered right up to chop?

Thank you my friends!
I like to cut when the pots are almost dry.

We water/feed right up till the end. Every attempt we've had at flushing or reducing water has not ended well for us.

How long the pots normally hold water? 15G is pretty huge, but they might be drinking it dry pretty fast if the plants are huge too.

This is soil, not coco.
I should have provided that information earlier. Sorry!

I have been watering once every 4 - 5 days so this means I’ll be skipping one watering.

Technically, the missing watering would have been a feed/watering event in the cycle.
also, I’ve got my lights down to 25%, the plants are really just idling into harvest.

Last edited:
They completely dried after 5 days or just dryer?

Guess would be hard to tell, can't really pick up a 15g pot with a monster plant in it and be like "oh yeah she's a bit dryer'

They completely dried after 5 days or just dryer?

Guess would be hard to tell, can't really pick up a 15g pot with a monster plant in it and be like "oh yeah she's a bit dryer'
I can’t pick these things up, even when they are dry. I’d be in traction!
I have 12” skewers, when I can insert the skewer into every section of the planter and not come back moist, they get a drink.

by 5 days, they are very dry on the entire stick!

This is soil, not coco.
I should have provided that information earlier. Sorry!

I have been watering once every 4 - 5 days so this means I’ll be skipping one watering.

Technically, the missing watering would have been a feed/watering event in the cycle.
also, I’ve got my lights down to 25%, the plants are really just idling into harvest.
In soil, go to plain water the last two weeks. Do not stop watering as this is the fattening period for your flowers. These two things, plus a proper dry and cure is the difference between smooth smoke and an acrid dry smoke.

Okay, one more watering now scheduled for 5 day before chop (Monday 4/1).
Thank you all for advice and recommendations.
I’m pretty certain in stating, this has been my best and least eventful grow yet.
A great deal of the credit to that statement goes to the brainpowers here that have helped in many ways.

Cheers!

I’m heading to the Bay Area on Saturday, 3/30 to chop the crystalberry Indica. She’s lead a rough life. I didn’t even expect her to make it through winter, but she plugged along, probably render about 1/4 oz, maybe a bit more, but she isn’t huge.

Back
Top Bottom