New source of CBD found in south American plants

ninjadip

Hydro Ninja
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
The team found CBD in the fruits and flowers of a plant known as Trema micrantha blume, a shrub which grows across much of the South American country and is often considered a weed, molecular biologist Rodrigo Moura Neto of the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro told AFP.

Thought some of you might like this article!

It's strange to me why a plant would evolve to make CBD.

THC seems like something that would help the plant as humans consume, and because of the results grab seeds, protect the plant, bring it to new locations etc - it is a good way for a plant to get noticed. Even if it was an evolutionary fluke that the THC was produced in the first place, humans will want to keep that plant around, which in turn is great for continuing the genetic line that produced it.

With CBD - the effects are not nearly as obvious. There have been studies that question if it does anything when compared against placebo. So what is the benefit to the plant to make it? Humans spreading it is probably not the case. Possibly something with some other mammal that also has an endocannabinoid system?

I'll be thinking about this for sure.

It's strange to me why a plant would evolve to make CBD.

THC seems like something that would help the plant as humans consume, and because of the results grab seeds, protect the plant, bring it to new locations etc - it is a good way for a plant to get noticed. Even if it was an evolutionary fluke that the THC was produced in the first place, humans will want to keep that plant around, which in turn is great for continuing the genetic line that produced it.

With CBD - the effects are not nearly as obvious. There have been studies that question if it does anything when compared against placebo. So what is the benefit to the plant to make it? Humans spreading it is probably not the case. Possibly something with some other mammal that also has an endocannabinoid system?

I'll be thinking about this for sure.
I think the therapeutic value of CBD is well established. It's just a incomplete THC molecular structure or a little less evolved. Same basic structure chemically speaking

Not the same cerebral effects but still cross the blood brain barrier. Same helpful effects for appetite and nausea... Inflammation and pain to some degree

Oils in general are protective to the fruiting cycle against insects and fungi

It's interesting seeing this molecule in various higher evolved grasses. I wouldn't be surprised to see it found in others

I think the therapeutic value of CBD is well established. It's just a incomplete THC molecular structure or a little less evolved. Same basic structure chemically speaking

Hmmm, other than the epilepsy thing, I'm not seeing CBD being therapeutic in studies beyond some generalizations that would also apply to asprin. Willing to be wrong here, I am not anti-CBD.

CBD

1686947761756.png

THC

1686947786098.png

Similar, but also significantly different.

Hmmm, other than the epilepsy thing, I'm not seeing CBD being therapeutic in studies beyond some generalizations that would also apply to asprin. Willing to be wrong here, I am not anti-CBD.

CBD

View attachment 7957

THC

View attachment 7958

Similar, but also significantly different.
Yeah đź‘Ť no doubt it's subjective and mixed results but I've just met too many people who reported relief on some level or another

Aspirin is powerful medicine brother that just driving home my point. It's been used for thousands of years for a few reasons. Both cardiac and pain.

We didn't always have synthetic medicine to fill the gap ie. Tylenol or ibuprofen and both of them have bad side effects also. Liver and cardiac risk respectively

CBD and THC both bind at the endocannabinoid receptor to some degree or another

I have a high cannabis tolerance but feel CBD effects if I take a few hundred mg. Putting in in my ear during a ear ache helps for sure. But admittedly it's efficacy is of limited value. It reduces... Doesn't eliminate pain like a narcotic does

I've also noticed some THC extraction have a numbing effect similar to cocaine or novacaine

download (10).jpegdownload (9).jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah đź‘Ť no doubt it's subjective and mixed results but I've just met too many people who reported relief on some level or another

Aspirin is powerful medicine brother that just driving home my point. It's been used for thousands of years for a few reasons. Both cardiac and pain.

We didn't always have synthetic medicine to fill the gap ie. Tylenol or ibuprofen and both of them have bad side effects also. Liver and cardiac risk respectively

CBD and THC both bind at the endocannabinoid receptor to some degree or another

I have a high cannabis tolerance but feel CBD effects if I take a few hundred mg. Putting in in my ear during a ear ache helps for sure. But admittedly it's efficacy is of limited value. It reduces... Doesn't eliminate pain like a narcotic does

I've also noticed some THC extraction have a numbing effect similar to cocaine or novacaine

View attachment 7965View attachment 7966
I grew a strain years ago called Kabbalah that made my lips and tongue extremely numb when smoked. Great high but that numbness was like having a dog rope toy for a tongue. Couldn’t talk, literally for an hour or two after smoking it.

I grew a strain years ago called Kabbalah that made my lips and tongue extremely numb when smoked. Great high but that numbness was like having a dog rope toy for a tongue. Couldn’t talk, literally for an hour or two after smoking it.
Did it have a bit of a chemical type taste to it? What was the flavor experience...

These types of strain interest me. Cause you could always alternate delivery route

I get the impression numbing is a Terpenoids type thing

Last edited:
Did it have a bit of a chemical type taste to it? What was the flavor experience...

These types of strain interest me. Cause you could always alternate delivery route

I get the impression numbing is a Terpenoids type thing
No, no chem taste as I remember. The flavor wasn’t standout ish. Was just average in taste as I recall. Pretty sure it’s a northern lights and big bud cross.

No, no chem taste as I remember. The flavor wasn’t standout ish. Was just average in taste as I recall. Pretty sure it’s a northern lights and big bud cross.
Afghani Thai and Skunk origins that's a pretty interesting background ...

I always liked northern lights when it's done well. Just need good light controls for sure

@Moe.Red

This is the stuff I drip into my ears or put it on my sore neck or in my throat when it's sore. Taste kinda funny. Not like you expect

Get it for free downtown and they have some other stuff that goes towards disabled veteran's once a month

I also think there's a lot of snake oil being sold out of bottles like these. This one is of good quality and potency.
PXL_20230617_024750488.jpg

Last edited:

Not the same cerebral effects but still cross the blood brain barrier. Same helpful effects for appetite and nausea... Inflammation and pain to some degree

Oils in general are protective to the fruiting cycle against insects and fungi

It's interesting seeing this molecule in various higher evolved grasses. I wouldn't be surprised to see it found in others
yeah while reading that article i believe they mentioned that this isn't the first time CBD has been found outside of cannabis. I believe they mentioned another plant in Australia found recently that also has CBD.

It is interesting. I think you are right on about the benefits of oils to the plants for defense. I have heard there are certain mammals that will eat psychoactive plants in nature on purpose for various needs, sometimes just to help with digestion or whatnot.

I'd love to try that tincture on my computer shoulder lol, my right shoulder is a bitch from mad typing at work. Fucking number crunchin is hazardous to my health lol
I was thinking i'd like to make a THC lotion/tincture that i could use after next harvest. Haven't done any research yet, but was thinking coconut oil for the infusion and then adding some shea butter or something to get it to that "lotion-y" stage.

Speaking of CBD, i had researched the strain Charlotte's Web strain after seeing a documentary on it and epilepsy, which my brother has. he smokes regular flower and does not get high CBD types of weed, but has been doing good for the past few years without a seizure. It is one that is on my list to grow at some point, for him and for me to try something super high in CBD. He prefers flower like myself, OGs lol

Back
Top Bottom