Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
Has anyone used these shears before?

Trusted friend of mine that's still in the industry told me, hands down, these are the best shears he's used. He has carpal tunnel and says that these are the only shears he can use for a time and not have his hands hurt.

Any opinions on what you consider the best shears for hand trimming? Also, what do you do to keep them clean while you are trimming? I used to use a trim team of women that would come over to the grow and trim up whatever we harvested. They would have multiple shears sitting in a glass jar of alcohol and once one started getting gummed up they would stick it in the jar and clean off one that had been stewing in the jar. I've always wished there was a contraption that you could stick your shears in and they would clean themselves ready to use like those ultrasonic jewelry cleaners do with jewelry.

Chikamasa Garden Scissors B500SLF (1) https://a.co/d/0V2phiA

I have some of these somewhere, i only used them a couple times but they were decent. Spring scissors make my hands hurt faster than the regulars.
@Rootsruler Got these first. Hands last longer than with others. But we take breaks as we want.

We use the iso wipes that are for getting shots. Handy and no waste.

And i use this thing https://a.co/d/9riojdH
to keep my scissors clean.
Its got a sponge inside it, i put like 4 to 5 pairs of scissors in it at a time to soak them just scub on the sponge and good to go 👍🏻
Any issues keeping it clean? Does it get all gummy? No stores near me carry these type things.

Wipes I just toss the mess. But cleaning vape with iso and qtips gets messy. Need a better way.

Any issues keeping it clean? Does it get all gummy? No stores near me carry these type things.

Wipes I just toss the mess. But cleaning vape with iso and qtips gets messy. Need a better way.
You just fill it with 91-99% isopropyl alcohol, dump it out and risnse the sponge when done trimming then put it away dry.

@Rootsruler Got these first. Hands last longer than with others. But we take breaks as we want.

We use the iso wipes that are for getting shots. Handy and no waste.
I've done it with iso wipes but I want something that will clean them without my mechanical intervention. Basically I want something that I can stick in dirty and come out clean.

Maybe an autoclave like the dentists like to use to disinfect their instruments? Kidding. Those things are crazy expensive. I might try out an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner but I suspect they'll be too slow.

I have some that are similar in style, but slightly bigger, the ones that spring open are definitely easier on the hands and the long pointy blades are handy. I have probably 15 different pairs in various styles. I just keep a cup of alcohol and when they get gummed up I let them soak and use a different pair.

I have some that are similar in style, but slightly bigger, the ones that spring open are definitely easier on the hands and the long pointy blades are handy. I have probably 15 different pairs in various styles. I just keep a cup of alcohol and when they get gummed up I let them soak and use a different pair.
This and the Iso wipes is the method I've used but what I don't like is I have to remove my gloves to wipe off the resin that is still on the shear blades. I want something that I can pull the shears out of and they're squeaky clean without my having to wipe them clean.

Looks like a small ultrasonic cleaner may be the answer but they say you shouldn't use alcohol or other flammable solvents in it as it may cause a fire. I might try out the ultrasonic cleaner and alcohol to see how well it cleans the shears. I guess I can have a fan running in the room I'm trimming to clear any flammable vapor the cleaner may kick up.

I much prefer a good set of bonsai shears over that kind. Like these.61rxQ388HvL._SL1000_1000x1000.jpg

I like my Chikamasa scissors. However I despise trimming after a few days or minutes! So I keep every scissor style I am aware of around for volunteers that will trim.

surprisingly in my experience more than 50% seem to like the small 50 cent trim scissors.

IMG_4800.jpegIMG_4799.jpeg

I also force a ton of wall insulation into a small container and fill it with 99% ISO to change scissors out. I keep enough trim scissors for the volunteers to change scissors anytime and the insulation basically cleans them almost perfectly only a 1 paper towel is needed for all! If ya Keep ‘em happy, fed, stoned, and play good music and they know they get an UNTRIMMED SAC to go home with it’s amazing how much gets done.

I have no idea where you live Zen but from what I think I know you definitely shouldn’t ever use the same scissors on different plants while they are alive. Moms, clones, and everything else included!

There are some terrifying stories/stats that 90% of cuts/clones/and potentially seeds on the West Coast have HLV! I have absolutely no proof but I seriously think all of my best strains have been ruined by it over the past 5 years!

I murdered everything and started back from seed I got from an ole head for the most part but I definitely use different scissors to prune the clones that I’m still kicking myself for ever bringing into my room after starting from scratch 💯

90% of my seeds came from a close friend. His best friend grows for him. We’re in Canada. Only my northern lights came from another source.

Those scissors above are for trimming my hanging plant at the end of the week. 🤞

I do mix the tools as I need them but clean them after each use or job. Depending. Usually ISO wipes. Otherwise ISO and cloth.

Only learned the virus(es) affect seeds too this year. So much for safety in trading seeds.

Do any of the infections affect the end user or is it just detrimental to the plant?

I grow for personal use and give the rest away to people I know can use it.

I’ll make sure to keep my tools clean and try to keep a set with each tent.

Liked the packed insulation with ISO idea. 👍

I’m way too OCD bud!

From what I think I understand ISO doesn’t even kill the Viroid. Beach is the only sanitizer???

It supposedly came from you damn Canucks! HaHa

At the end of the day an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!

I honestly am not smart enough know! However I’m definitely pissed at myself for bringing clones into my newly remodeled room after telling myself 10,000 times I wasn’t going to!

I’m way too OCD bud!
Not necessarily a bad thing.

From what I think I understand ISO doesn’t even kill the Viroid. Beach is the only sanitizer???
Bleach wipes it is then. We use H2O2 wipes as well. Out of the bleach atm I think.

It supposedly came from you damn Canucks! HaHa
Not my fault. I just work the snow gun. 🥶

At the end of the day an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
True.

I honestly am not smart enough know! However I’m definitely pissed at myself for bringing clones into my newly remodeled room after telling myself 10,000 times I wasn’t going to!

As I said you’re not alone. Wife gave me spider mites first month I got my tent. Brought a tomato plant in and put it in the tent. 🤦

I one that battle. But the aphids made me harvest a nice plant a week early.

It’s all relative bud! Ole lady’s are often the perceived issue but at the end of the day it’s our fault IMO!

The Canadian joke was just to make sure you had a sense of humor! Ha

Again from what I “think I know” only a 10-20% bleach solution and soak for 10 minutes will kill the viroid but I have zero scientific evidence about what I think! Definitely not trying to spew bro science!

I have 2 pair with springs, 1 Chicka pair but got the wrong Chicka, wanted the curved ones that look thinner and pointy. I have alcohol pads but use bleach as well. SSgrower

I have much experience with the nippers you showed. I've used most of the trimmers you pictured but the nippers are what I used in the garment industry to nip off stray threads.

I didn't think about using them to trim but that is a good idea. I have a few pairs I may go look for and try them the next time I trim.

As far as disease and pests, y'all know how anal I can get about that kind of stuff so, thankfully, I haven't experienced anything yet. I usually have a jar of ISO to dump the trimmers into and always clean my trimmers after use.

I much prefer a good set of bonsai shears over that kind. Like these.View attachment 28839

Bonsai style is my favorite type of snip too. I think I'm too abusive with the spring loaded fiskars to hold up and usually break them minutes out of the package.
I have several of these hydrofarm snips and more from another brand in both stainless steel and titanium. The titanium has held it's edge for years now.
I also have a baddass pair of carbon steel snips made in Japan. They're cool but weigh about 5x regular bonsai snips so I don't use them for trimming.

And then this is my new kit I've yet to use but excited when it comes time. It came with both wet and dry trim blades. It sells for around $150 on Amazon

51C0INu-IeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom