Weed recall~!

steamroller

Average guy who gets high. AKA the Slacker.
Staff member
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
A weed recall on Tuesday sparked an urgent warning for all cannabis consumers in California.

"The Department of Cannabis Control is issuing this mandatory recall due to the presence of Aspergillus sp. in multiple Tyson 3.5 Gram Flower products," the California Department of Cannabis Control's (DCC) post on X, formerly Twitter, read.

In a statement further detailing the recall, California's DCC said that the issues arose from two products produced by boxer Mike Tyson's weed brand.

The recall was for two different strains of Tyson cannabis flowers, named "TOAD" and "TADPOLES." The products were sold in 3.5 gram packages and were packaged after August 4, 2023.

According to the announcement, the products were sold at a number of different locations across California in cities including Alameda, Contra Costa, Humboldt, Los Angeles, Napa, Riverside, Sacramento, San Diego and San Francisco.

The recall announcement states that consumers who previously purchased these products should "check your package for the UID and batch number." If the numbers on the package match those listed in the recall announcement, consumers should dispose of the product or return it to the retailer they purchased it from.

"If you are experiencing symptoms or any adverse reactions, contact your physician immediately," the announcement said.

To view the full list of recalled products, visit California's DCC's website.

Newsweek reached out to the California DCC via email for further comment.

According to the Cannabis Science and Technology website, Aspergillus is a fungus that can grow on many different plants, such as cannabis.

"If cannabis is grown or stored in conditions that are conducive to mold growth, such as high humidity or improper drying and curing processes, it can provide an environment for Aspergillus to thrive," the website says.

"When contaminated cannabis is consumed via the respiratory tract, it can potentially pose health risks, particularly for individuals with weakened immune systems or respiratory conditions. The issue with fungus spores and cannabis is when its spores are introduced into the lungs, for example, by smoking and inhaling contaminated product."

In December 2023, the California cannabis company, Grizzly Peak Farms, issued a voluntary recall for a strain named "Zoap" over concerns that it had been contaminated with chlorfenapyr, a pesticide.

The products associated with this particular strain package were made available to retail consumers after September 20, California's DCC spokesperson David Hafner told Newsweek at the time.

"This remains an ongoing investigation," he said. "The department does not comment on ongoing investigations."

Someone at the lab is getting fired.......

Seems like it is all about the cure. Someone screwed up for sure.

I just wouldn't approach Mike telling him his weed is moldy

I would tell Mike right before the CM fight. I'd tell him how much $ he lost and only feel bad for Connor~!:p

The herb was packaged April 2023 and the recall was issued April 2024.
Gov't at it's best.
Either too little too late or real story about how fresh your legal pot is IMO.😤

The herb was packaged April 2023 and the recall was issued April 2024.
Gov't at it's best.
Either too little too late or real story about how fresh your legal pot is IMO.😤
I know this isn't the case in all dispensaries in Michigan, because my brother gets some kinda-fresh-ish weed in his area, but the ones near me all have flower harvest dates about a year in the past.

It seems to be a game of the lowest possible price, around here. I imagine some growers must have old shit on hand that they let go for a lot less, and that's what my local dispensaries are buying.

That absolutely blows my mind dispo's are selling weed that's over a year old. I would feel awful selling something that's been in a jar or bag that long.

I know you can store weed for a long time to keep it fresh, but I'd only do that for personal smoke, not something I'm selling.

I know this isn't the case in all dispensaries in Michigan, because my brother gets some kinda-fresh-ish weed in his area, but the ones near me all have flower harvest dates about a year in the past.

It seems to be a game of the lowest possible price, around here. I imagine some growers must have old shit on hand that they let go for a lot less, and that's what my local dispensaries are buying.
My take is it's not the cultivators or dispensaries that are doing this. It's the distributors. They're holding onto it trying to get the best price they can. Most commercial cultivation oufits don't hold onto weed very long.

Knew a distributor in Cali that would buy outdoor and blend it with old light dep and call it industrial indoor. He got his license revoked for backdooring blackmarket weed.

If pot is not sealed after testing by the grower than who knows what is in it or how it has been stored?
Makes it seem like too many hands actually touch the product.
That would be a serious control issue/violation to me.

Last edited:

I’m in sw Michigan town with less than 10,000 people and 9 legal dispensaries! lol 3 grow right in sight - if I wanted I could get ounces for 20/50$ - all popcorn that’s prolly been tumbled but it’s usually about 2 to 3 months old or so says the label. Well let’s just go look at one - the last one is the oldest harvest date I could find

Down to less than a zip of my homegrown ad my building permit got shot down yesterday so I’m stuck going dispo for few months image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

If I ever run out again (HA! It'll never happen! I scoff at the notion.) I'll look beyond the nearest ones.

Sounds like you're on or near the border. Morenci, MI has about 1000 people, is about 2 miles from the Ohio border, and they have 4-5 dispensaries. I imagine that will change once Ohio figures out there rules for selling.

If pot is not sealed after testing by the grower than who knows what is in it or how it has been stored?
Makes it seem like too many hands actually touch the product.
That would be a serious control issue/violation to me.
We see kept in jars on the counter and packed in front of you

If I ever run out again (HA! It'll never happen! I scoff at the notion.) I'll look beyond the nearest ones.

Sounds like you're on or near the border. Morenci, MI has about 1000 people, is about 2 miles from the Ohio border, and they have 4-5 dispensaries. I imagine that will change once Ohio figures out there rules for selling.
I’m actually in Indiana and work in Michigan

We see kept in jars on the counter and packed in front of you
I guess that makes sense but man open to so much mis handling.
Almost every day I am reminded how glad I have never been in a dispensary~!

Despite which dispo it cons from I have 1 or 2 farms/ growers that I stick with !
Which is why small farms and farmers should be allowed within the network. We all know that our personal connects, or ourselves, grow way better weed than dispo crap. The problem is most of the state weed commissioners have no idea what good weed is.

Yeah even if it was under a year.. who's out there buying 8ths and not smoking it within a week..?
^^This^^
Seriously the product is tested and then left in the hands of who knows who and not sealed for quality control.
A legal farmers market gone wrong in so many ways. With way too much oversite that is apparently pretty useless and flawed.

When things are run wrong you can bet, they won't last long. * Gov't not included.

Who is to say at this point [ one year after harvest ] that this is not a publicity stunt?

I wonder how much actual weed was taken off the market if any?

Which is why small farms and farmers should be allowed within the network. We all know that our personal connects, or ourselves, grow way better weed than dispo crap. The problem is most of the state weed commissioners have no idea what good weed is.
Exactly what is going on here! Small farms called Boutique Grows are currently being awarded licensing.

Exactly what is going on here! Small farms called Boutique Grows are currently being awarded licensing.
I've been following your states licensing practices and it seems like they're learning from the past mistakes of other states but when it comes to weed and taxes I keep a very pessimistic view. I got to watch first hand politicians taking bribes for favors so I'm not too optimistic about how constructive the licensing program your state is initiating will be. I'll keep watching.

I've been following your states licensing practices and it seems like they're learning from the past mistakes of other states but when it comes to weed and taxes I keep a very pessimistic view. I got to watch first hand politicians taking bribes for favors so I'm not too optimistic about how constructive the licensing program your state is initiating will be. I'll keep watching.
What would you say would be the most interesting fact about Mo laws thus far?

The system they are using to give out licensing. I watched Cali do theirs along with Nevada and Colorado and they both made the same mistakes that California did. I like that they are allowing current license holders to keep their licenses and not have to go through an entire shakedown like they did in California when they kept adjusting the laws as they went along making dispensary and cultivation licensees jump through hoops to try and comply even though they were issued their temporary licenses with different regulations at the time.

What I don't like is that even with the more fair licensing the big players are still getting in using smaller players as a front and blocking out the smaller craft growers. This is what has happened in every other state so far and they need to fix this but, like everything in politics, money trumps the law and the little guys don't have the funding to be able to send their states senator on a trip with his family to Cancun.

The system they are using to give out licensing. I watched Cali do theirs along with Nevada and Colorado and they both made the same mistakes that California did. I like that they are allowing current license holders to keep their licenses and not have to go through an entire shakedown like they did in California when they kept adjusting the laws as they went along making dispensary and cultivation licensees jump through hoops to try and comply even though they were issued their temporary licenses with different regulations at the time.

What I don't like is that even with the more fair licensing the big players are still getting in using smaller players as a front and blocking out the smaller craft growers. This is what has happened in every other state so far and they need to fix this but, like everything in politics, money trumps the law and the little guys don't have the funding to be able to send their states senator on a trip with his family to Cancun.
Plus I think cali has like 38% tax on cannabis.

Back
Top Bottom