What causes the burnout at the end of the high? I'd like more of that!

BigBagOfBuds

Spliff Schemer
Reaction score
Hey bud builders! I have a question maybe someone has some knowledge on or more experience with.

I use cannabis medicinally for insomnia mostly and have been experimenting with a variety of forms and cannabinoids for a few years now to help me sleep.

What Ive found is that ~1-2 hours after smoking/vaping/dabing cannabis I get really sleepy and then have the best sleep ever and wake up fully refreshed.

I semi recently stopped being able to grow and smoke/vape so Ive switched to some medical oil based extracts purchased from licensed producers and I'm not getting what I hoped from them and wanted to know if anyone has some scientific understanding of what happens when you burn out at the end of the high.

I've recently been trying CBN mixed with CBD, and THC mixed with CBN in the form of oil based tinctures. I find they do not come close to the quality of sleep I was getting from vaping/smoking/dabbing.

The CBN helps a tiny bit but doesn't really do much. The THC works but I'd have to take it way before bed time to get the sleepy effect I'm looking for, anything later than 5+ hours before bed time and I find my mind still races at bed time, plus the later I take it, the harder it is to wake up and go.

If I smoke/vape/dab some cannabis about an hour or two before bed then I have an amazing sleep and wake up super refreshed ready to go.

My question is what causes this and is there a way to get the same effects using edibles without consuming them at lunch time? Is this the effect of the terpenes coming out to play when inhaled? Is it possible to get the same effects quicker when inhaling, ie. 30 minutes before bed? I find if I am high I can't sleep due to my mind racing, but if Im burnt out after an afternoon of consuming then its golden.

Thank you for reading! šŸ»

Well ripened indicas is the short answer.
Sativas have a nice crash but they're spazzy and racey to start then crash hard so I wouldn't smoke a satty after the Sun goes down.
But indicas are nice night weed. Especially ones that are left to ripen and not chopped too early. When it says 8 weeks, chop it at 10.
If every single pistil has been swallowed up by the flower and all the trichs are milk white, it's good to go and will deliver the narcotic effect

Well ripened indicas is the short answer.
Sativas have a nice crash but they're spazzy and racey to start then crash hard so I wouldn't smoke a satty after the Sun goes down.
But indicas are nice night weed. Especially ones that are left to ripen and not chopped too early. When it says 8 weeks, chop it at 10.
If every single pistil has been swallowed up by the flower and all the trichs are milk white, it's good to go and will deliver the narcotic effect
Thanks for commenting! Yes I definitely found when consuming my home grown that most modern strains when taken to fully ripe will produce a good effect.

Im curious though I've read that as the trichomes mature and go amber they will have higher CBN which is the theory I've read that causes them to be more sleep inducing.

But my personal experience with combined CBN and THC oil tinctures is that they don't produce the sleepyness Im looking for. The THC oil will do it with a sufficient dose but too many hours later than I want. Ive tried 20mg CBN with 20mg THC after a 2 month break and they don't do a whole lot, at most just mild sedation and some mind racing plus a sedated hangover.

I got a chance to smoke a joint of some of my stashed home grown and that got me high for an hour or two and then a great level of sedation to put me to sleep. I'd love to be able to get that effect from a tincture/edible without the mind racing. These buds were chopped at 9ish weeks on what is advertised as an 8 week strain. I would describe them as fully ripe, no white hairs, milky and amber trichomes, full/swollen calyxes.

Is it possible to get that sleepy feeling without first getting stoned for a few hours?

Is it possible to get that sleepy feeling without first getting stoned for a few hours?

Not sure there is an answer to this question. I do know there are a lot of products out there with the various Cannabinoids but I cannot vouch for their quality or effectiveness. I too would like to know the answers to some of your questions, I also have problems getting to sleep. Once I get to sleep, I'm good but it's getting there that is my problem.

One of the things that I think helps is looking for the various terpenes that will be on the sedative side if you have access to lab reports for your Cannabis. Myrcene is one that will enhance the THC but also has sedative effects. Linalool is another that is good for sleep. Beta Caryophyllene, Beta Pinene, and Terpinolene are all good to find.

I have found that many breeders will list their strains' dominant terpenes and that is a good place to start if you are selecting strains, but do know that terps and cannabinoids are all grower dependent so just because a breeder says their strains are capable of x number of y, does not mean you will achieve those numbers. Dial in your grow and you will have your best chance of realizing the strain's potential.

Edit: I also want to second what Bandit said. Spot on there.

I also have problems getting to sleep. Once I get to sleep, I'm good but it's getting there that is my problem.
This describes me to a T. Sleeping isn't usually a problem once I get there, it just sucks waiting an hour+ for it to happen when my wife is knocked out after 5 minutes while sober šŸ¤£

I do have some varieties that work well, it's just getting harder and harder to justify being stoned as I get more responsibilities eventually with children. I usually finish work by 4, then aim to be in bed for 9 and wake up without an alarm around 5 to 6. Its hard to have enough time after work to be stoned for half of it.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy consuming canabis, its just harder to do it as I get older than when I was young. It will shift back eventually I'm sure.

I was just so suprised how different smoking a joint was compared to having only used oil tinctures for the last month. They aren't even in the same ball park in terms of the effects Im looking for. Tinctures and Im asleep after about 30-45 minutes, inhaling and Im asleep after 10. The biggest difference though was that inhaling I wake up fresh and ready to go, tinctures I wake up with a fog and lethargy for a good hour. I'm usually right out of bed once the eyes open, fully functional and alert, but with tincture I could actually sleep in if I didn't have work to do hahaha.

This describes me to a T. Sleeping isn't usually a problem once I get there, it just sucks waiting an hour+ for it to happen when my wife is knocked out after 5 minutes while sober šŸ¤£

I do have some varieties that work well, it's just getting harder and harder to justify being stoned as I get more responsibilities eventually with children. I usually finish work by 4, then aim to be in bed for 9 and wake up without an alarm around 5 to 6. Its hard to have enough time after work to be stoned for half of it.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy consuming canabis, its just harder to do it as I get older than when I was young. It will shift back eventually I'm sure.

I was just so suprised how different smoking a joint was compared to having only used oil tinctures for the last month. They aren't even in the same ball park in terms of the effects Im looking for. Tinctures and Im asleep after about 30-45 minutes, inhaling and Im asleep after 10. The biggest difference though was that inhaling I wake up fresh and ready to go, tinctures I wake up with a fog and lethargy for a good hour. I'm usually right out of bed once the eyes open, fully functional and alert, but with tincture I could actually sleep in if I didn't have work to do hahaha.
I also suffer from insomnia. I've noticed that very ripe indica edibles work great for sleep if you don't want to smoke or, as Bandit420 mentioned, you can smoke it as is. Edibles will take longer but once they kick in they keep you sleeping and you don't wake up unless you gotta piss.

Another thing I noticed is if I smoke night after night my tolerance rises and it gets a little harder to fall asleep. If I don't smoke for a couple days I fall asleep quickly once I smoke a doob.

Hey bud builders! I have a question maybe someone has some knowledge on or more experience with.

I use cannabis medicinally for insomnia mostly and have been experimenting with a variety of forms and cannabinoids for a few years now to help me sleep.

What Ive found is that ~1-2 hours after smoking/vaping/dabing cannabis I get really sleepy and then have the best sleep ever and wake up fully refreshed.

I semi recently stopped being able to grow and smoke/vape so Ive switched to some medical oil based extracts purchased from licensed producers and I'm not getting what I hoped from them and wanted to know if anyone has some scientific understanding of what happens when you burn out at the end of the high.

I've recently been trying CBN mixed with CBD, and THC mixed with CBN in the form of oil based tinctures. I find they do not come close to the quality of sleep I was getting from vaping/smoking/dabbing.

The CBN helps a tiny bit but doesn't really do much. The THC works but I'd have to take it way before bed time to get the sleepy effect I'm looking for, anything later than 5+ hours before bed time and I find my mind still races at bed time, plus the later I take it, the harder it is to wake up and go.

If I smoke/vape/dab some cannabis about an hour or two before bed then I have an amazing sleep and wake up super refreshed ready to go.

My question is what causes this and is there a way to get the same effects using edibles without consuming them at lunch time? Is this the effect of the terpenes coming out to play when inhaled? Is it possible to get the same effects quicker when inhaling, ie. 30 minutes before bed? I find if I am high I can't sleep due to my mind racing, but if Im burnt out after an afternoon of consuming then its golden.

Thank you for reading! šŸ»
For me, cannabis will raise the BP after use, then when it wears off the BP starts dropping I get tired. Warm showers will also lower my BP and help get to sleep.

I'm betting cbn is what's doing it
I thought CBN was the secret too, but my experience with the CBN oil isn't very promising.

I'll have to try some edibles I can make with my own flower as @Rootsruler suggested.

Maybe it's just a low quality product I bought that's the issue.

@growsinse79 interesting comment on the BP, I hadn't considered that but it makes a lot of sense to me.

So the crash from the high is what you are looking for. I don't think you'll find weed that will instantly feel like you're crashing, if a powerful indica doesn't already make you feel that way.

I had a Bubba Kush x Thai cross that might be the closest thing that would have that effect on you. The Thai parent caused about 30 minutes of cerebral activity, then that wore off and I was going down for the count.

It was made by "Santero" of San Seeds. He never sold them, just gave them away for free a few years ago. I will see about digging up his email address and see if he has any.

If that doesn't produce any results, I got a similar effect from Dark Hollow, by Irie Genetics. It could be that any heavy indica crossed with a high-flying sativa would have a similar effect.

Back
Top Bottom