When do you start an outdoor plant? What’s your general location?

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
Hey all, trying to plan another outdoor grow. Last year, I put the plant in the soil on 6/1. This year, I’m thinking maybe a bit earlier, say 5/1 or there about.

I’m in the Central Sierras foothills of California. I’ll be over 14 hours of sunlight sometime in the middle of May, so I figure bright twilight on both sides of 13.5 hours of sun should be enough to keep her from dropping into flower in the spring.

By that time, daytime highs are usually in the upper 80s or 90s although this year is a weird year. Overnights should be over 60 by the beginning of May so the plant should have a good environment. I just want to make sure I’m not missing something obvious.

I’m going with either a clone of my bagseed sativa or a clone of my Super Blue Dream. I’m really liking the idea of growing SBD outdoors, but I read something that indicated it does better indoors. Anyone ever heard that?

Well, looks like I’ll be warming up a new diary soon! Enjoy the outdoors my friends!

Michigan here. There's quite a bit difference climate-wise. I just started my seeds for my summer greenhouse run ... indoors, yesterday (4/5/2024). I will transfer them to the greenhouse around the middle of May. I do that so my plants aren't under the 14 hrs of light during transplant. Too much under 14 hrs, especially with clones and you might go into flower prematurely. That would be my only worry ... but May 1st might be late enough in your area. A quick look at the daylight hrs calendar for your zip code should give you a really good idea when to move them outside.

i'm in grow zone 6b so i normally wait till may 14th for complete safety of a frost.

USDA_zone_map_2023_cropped_1024x1024.png

I am 5b [ Mid state NY ] and would put seedlings out middle may.
Now I wonder with the short daylight hours here and quick season if it was almost like no veg grows.
I used to see sex on some in early august.

I agree with @MiGrampa that at 14 hours you can start to see the plant cycle.
Here in NY our longest day is 15 hours in June.

Last edited:
When do we plant out doors?...lol...good one...I'm almost cracking up here. You see that map with the worst place to grow?....go north of that and turn right......I think I should be offended at the question !!!!!....we're all not weathercapable !!! have some sensitivity you arrogant weatherite.....🥶🌨️🌫️🌁

Early april, it was 38 doggone degrees outside overnight!
That’s like what I expect in winter. Weird year.
Our global weather is transitioning into La Nina (pacific cool phase).
This affects Ca. with unusually dry/cool winters, and warmer than usual summers That hang on well into fall.

I’m hoping that will actually be preferable for growing outdoor cannabis here!

Back
Top Bottom