Cannabis Seedling Light Recommendations

MDK

Strain Encyclopedia
Reaction score
I remember my dad used to use old fluorescent tube lights hanging about 2 or 3 inches above the plants...vegetables not cannabis...

Looking for a light or lights that'll give me good coverage but doesn't have to take me past the 2 or 3 week age range....any recommendations? I'd ideally like to cover a 4x4 - 6x6 area.

This is for vegetables, mostly, would like to be able to use for cannabis here and there

Oh yea also lookin to go the cheap route as these will be off mostly

Thanks

Any floro lights with a kelvin temp in the 4000 range will work. T5HO or T12 is ideal.
There's also small LED grow lights that screw into a standard lamp socket or even el cheapo LED grow light panels for sale at Home Depot.

Even incandescent grow bulbs which reminds me of something I wanna do...I've been thinking about rocking a vintage grow using old shit and top of the list is busting out my old Mary Gro light. I'm kinda scared it might start a fire though. I don't think it's been turned on since 1988.šŸ˜Ž

marygro.png

I know the people that have these are happy with them.

I believe @CannaGranny and @Pipecarver both use these currently so maybe theyll chime in on their performance.
I have two of those that I use in veg. As a veg light they are excellent. I wouldnā€™t recommend it for the bloom phase tho.

I have two of those that I use in veg. As a veg light they are excellent. I wouldnā€™t recommend it for the bloom phase tho.
Good Morning , I don't know about that Granny, I have mine on the end of 2 SE3000 in my 5x5, I get 55,000 lux off it and the buds underneath it are as plum and hard as any in my canopy of tops. I've brought it down to within 8" of the buds and they're doing great directly under it. I'm not saying to use it for flowering but it has enough intensity to do a pretty good job as an extension for added coverage if needed......Dam good veg light too.1684412885330.png

Any floro lights with a kelvin temp in the 4000 range will work. T5HO or T12 is ideal.
There's also small LED grow lights that screw into a standard lamp socket or even el cheapo LED grow light panels for sale at Home Depot.

Even incandescent grow bulbs which reminds me of something I wanna do...I've been thinking about rocking a vintage grow using old shit and top of the list is busting out my old Mary Gro light. I'm kinda scared it might start a fire though. I don't think it's been turned on since 1988.šŸ˜Ž

View attachment 3020
You bet T5 lights for veg do a great job, I have 4 - 4ft over top 1 4ft as a side light in one 5ft x 3ft space and I extended that space and added 2 more 4ft t5's and 2-2ft t5's for a 9ft long closet when I need it with 9-t5's filling it. I veg for months sometimes and the T5's work great.1684413644941.png

I remember my dad used to use old fluorescent tube lights hanging about 2 or 3 inches above the plants...vegetables not cannabis...

Looking for a light or lights that'll give me good coverage but doesn't have to take me past the 2 or 3 week age range....any recommendations? I'd ideally like to cover a 4x4 - 6x6 area.

This is for vegetables, mostly, would like to be able to use for cannabis here and there

Oh yea also lookin to go the cheap route as these will be off mostly

Thanks
Hey bud.

Hope this link helps. Lots of CF lights on sale. They are in the middle of the main page.
25BCCAA3-9471-46D1-B1A2-EE360DACEE2E.png

Took a while to upload this. More are further down but no data is killing me.

What does that do if you don't mind explaining? Never heard of someone doing that.
It's something an old pro friend of mine said one day that we can increase poorly performing buds size in the last 7-10 days by upping the hrs and decreasing the intensity. I've no way of comparing them but at 11 weeks with these strains I've grown in the past they are just nice hard fat buds when I finish and I've bumped them up twice in the past with no problems and again just nice hard fat buds......it gives more time for the lower buds to ripen more anyways.....I was told to keep an eye out for reveg if I go too long and that's not what we want so closer to 7 than 10

Yea I was curious about how reveg played into that. Awesome info, maybe I'll try it on mine, I'm thinkin the plant I got going is going to take around 9 or 10 weeks. From what I've read reveg seems to happen at around 3 to 4 weeks so maybe that last 2 weeks flipped to 18 at 50% is a sweet spot?

Either way I think those buds look great I'd be happy to grow em like that inside...patience and practice

I'm attempted my first reveg right now....got a couple cuttings I took in flower to root...now to throw em into a little pot...so I'm just kinda learning about reveg20230518_111422.jpg

Last edited:
@Pipecarver that big one you got there is that 4 tube? Any recommendations on wattage for something that size? Thanks, those things look plush man, that's a trunk on the big plant

Also any info on the kind of heat these lights off put? Pretty cool running deals?
Its actually a 6 lamp fixture but the ballast for 2 of them has blown. 4ft lamps run 54 watts each 4x54...+ a 4ft side lamp =270 watts total and they put out some heat but not enough so I have a 150 watt heat lamp up above the lights just for the added heat. I like thr t5's for vegging because I can have my plants within mm and as long as they don't touch the lamp they don't burn. I also have a 4ft 2 tube t5 fixture and 2 ft 2 tube in another space I can expand into if need be. ......

ya that's my revegged auto 5+ months old...I just need a place to flower her....soon maybe next week I'll have place for her in my 5x5

Its actually a 6 lamp fixture but the ballast for 2 of them has blown. 4ft lamps run 54 watts each 4x54...+ a 4ft side lamp =270 watts total and they put out some heat but not enough so I have a 150 watt heat lamp up above the lights just for the added heat. I like thr t5's for vegging because I can have my plants within mm and as long as they don't touch the lamp they don't burn. I also have a 4ft 2 tube t5 fixture and 2 ft 2 tube in another space I can expand into if need be. ......

ya that's my revegged auto 5+ months old...I just need a place to flower her....soon maybe next week I'll have place for her in my 5x5
No shit when you reveg autos they no longer try to autoflower?

No shit when you reveg autos they no longer try to autoflower?
I don't know but I was trimming off lower branches about 1 week into flower last Dec and I stuck one branch off the auto into a jug of water. About 1 month later on Jan 5 this year it had 1 small white root sticking out so I put it in a solo cup with promix....it took a while but its in a 5 gallon pot now and out of control I have a string of pics from jug to now but I've lost her brothers pics of a short little male with flowers and balls. they're on the other site. I'll have to make a stealth visit and see if I can recover them.

You bet T5 lights for veg do a great job, I have 4 - 4ft over top 1 4ft as a side light in one 5ft x 3ft space and I extended that space and added 2 more 4ft t5's and 2-2ft t5's for a 9ft long closet when I need it with 9-t5's filling it. I veg for months sometimes and the T5's work great.View attachment 3092
That's what I use for pre-veg, seedlings and clones too. T5HO in nanotech reflectors.

That's what I use for pre-veg, seedlings and clones too. T5HO in nanotech reflectors.
DB this is kind of off the subject but I have been checking out tissue culture and wanted to run something by you. Have you ever added sugar to rock wool cubes for clones? I was studying up on TC and it was mentioned the sugar feeds the cut until it roots.

DB this is kind of off the subject but I have been checking out tissue culture and wanted to run something by you. Have you ever added sugar to rock wool cubes for clones? I was studying up on TC and it was mentioned the sugar feeds the cut until it roots.
Same as you put in water when you get flowers

Last edited:
TC is something I eventually want in my life so off topic or not yall can discuss I don't mind....I'll take note
Sorry MDK. I have some LED 8 lamp fixtures I can cut loose with. I am using some on seedlings now and working pretty well. They have 2 switches so four or 8 lamps on at a time. But the CFL are super hard to beat from Veg they just keep the plants so darn compact.

TC is something I eventually want in my life so off topic or not yall can discuss I don't mind....I'll take note
If you want to check it out there is a lady on YouTube that does a really good job of explaining it at home. In the subject matter put Home Tissue Culture. If the lady shows up with a soft cast on one of her arms part way thru the video that is the one. But to be honest I am not sure TC in this manner is doing what we want it to. In simple terms. The idea behind TC is to remove any viroids or viruses from the plant. The idea behind the TC shown in the video is that the new grow is occurring faster than the viroid or virus can grow into the material. So you take like the newest 1" or. 11/2" of grow and put it thru a sterilization process and into a sterile environment with nutrients to grow and root. The idea is to preform this task a couple or several times to insure the viroid or virus has been eliminated from the new plant. There is a more advanced process I am learning about as well were you take an even small part of the plant. The lady in the you tube video was getting about a 67 percent success ratio with rooting but not cannabis.

I haven't no, I've heard of it being used to extend the life of cut flowers like Aqua said, but I'd be hesitant to use it in clones. Sugar tends to breed thing, it'll feed bacteria, yeasts and fungus as well as the plant.

Back
Top Bottom