Drying and curing

Rootsruler

Know it all
Reaction score
In our quest to provide the best conditions for the dry and cure portion of the grow I've always wondered what temp and humidity spikes do to the process? Will a temperature spike cook off terpenes or does it have to be consitently high temps for a particular period of time that will do that? I'd venture to guess a humidity spike is not as critical but was curious as my temp and humidity vary throughout the day.

Curing question inside these paper bags; shake em daily, easy check. Do the bags remain closed as they are hanging up in this dandy illustration? That makes it seem more like a cure. I am actually doing what onedrop did before he vanished along with the silver. Open ? Or leave sealed? Bought some dispo weed in town today. Smoked harsh but good indica.View attachment 17674
I've done the bag dry method both ways, just depends on the moisture of your bud....if you close it up too wet it can mold...what I did was closed the bag but cut slits in it to breath through

another time I just left it opened and rolled the end up when it got to good moisture

I'm going through the process now. One thing I've found when it comes to the stem snap method. The amount of hands you use will give different results. If I use one hand to try and snap the stem it just bends. If I hold the stem with one hand and use the other to try and bend the stem I get a snap.

May have fucked up though as I was using one hand and not getting a true snap but the buds seemed dry enough. Once I used 2 hands and was getting snapping sounds I pulled all the buds off the stems and threw them in jars.

All my jars are at 55% humidity which I feel is a bit low. Anyone ever jar up and have it below the 60% range? How's the bud turn out?
I try to stay between 58-68 RH jarred. After the last month or so some have climbed to 70-71 RH.

So far so good but check for mold often. Just a little worried.

I personally think the humidity is more important than the ambient temps.
Well I have that covered, Its easier to maintain 60ish humidity for me than 62f....... my boy wants to go up stairs....and I still can't get my fkin wireless keyboard to work.......I can't even amzon until I get it hooked up.......I'm not standing to shop at amzon....its couch potato shopping and I may need a new keyboard.........

I've done the bag dry method both ways, just depends on the moisture of your bud....if you close it up too wet it can mold...what I did was closed the bag but cut slits in it to breath through

another time I just left it opened and rolled the end up when it got to good moisture
Ive seen it dried in cardboard boxes with layers of paper bag between layers. It’s turned daily though.
I myself have never used the method. I cut all of the big sun leaves off, hang the whole plant upside down.

Old thread alert!

When the colas are large’ish, say like beer can thick and about 12 to 18 inches long and dense, do you shoot for a slightly lower relative humidity because of the mass or does 60/60 apply to all?

In our quest to provide the best conditions for the dry and cure portion of the grow I've always wondered what temp and humidity spikes do to the process? Will a temperature spike cook off terpenes or does it have to be consitently high temps for a particular period of time that will do that? I'd venture to guess a humidity spike is not as critical but was curious as my temp and humidity vary throughout the day.
Anything above 68f volatile hydrocarbons (terpenes) evaporate, not sure on the exact time frame but it happens quickly.

Freshly harvested weed will some tarps pretty quickly if not in a "cold room"

Too high of RH and they won't have any "air space" to release water vapors as efficiently.

Old thread alert!

When the colas are large’ish, say like beer can thick and about 12 to 18 inches long and dense, do you shoot for a slightly lower relative humidity because of the mass or does 60/60 apply to all?
I used to lose quite a lot to mold on the huge dense tops. Now I just cut them up and dry on a rack.

• Agree
Reactions: Max
Old thread alert!

You could run a lower RH the first 2 or 3 days then bring it back to 60/60 or as close to.
I like my temp and humidity to match each other.
So if it's 72° I run 70-72% rh and it seems to help but if I'm ever worried about mold I run low rh the first 2 to 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom