Help with my light, found a melted wire

MDK

Strain Encyclopedia
Reaction score
Been having issues with my light for a while, today i gave it a look over and noticed melted plastic where all the bars plug in. It only appears to be one cable from what I can tell, going to take it down at lights off

20230923_202817.jpg

Couple questions.

1) can I just unplug this bar and use the light to keep my plants going til I can get it replaced?

2) is this repairable? I dabble with electronics and some soldering...could the connector be replaced or is this indicative of larger issues inside the driver?

Appreciate it

So I figured it out a bit...viparspectra offers a limited warranty for components and stuff, so i went with Assurion. Assurion will send me out a gift card or some form of credit for the total of my purchase. The light was 379.99 with 6.99 shipping and 60.99 3 year protection...so about 460 and they cover me for 450....so the assurion if I have to use it will basically almost cover itself too in the cost....only out like 10 bucks if I have any issue in next 3 years.

Went with the ks5000...supposed to get here on the 27th...put my stove on hold but the wife n kids can wait 😂🤣😬
Hopefully its well worth it, sounds pretty solid though 👌🏼
Ive never paid for an additional warranty aside from whatever the manufacturer provides with the purchase.

Lmk how you like the ks5000, i wanna grab one for my 4x4 as soon as i can lol.

assurion can be hit and miss. personally i've never found value in paying for it outside when buying a new phone, and even then i only hold onto it while paying the phone off. not sure how reliable they would be with anything else. probably similar to a home warranty that's super restrictive and draws out timelines way longer than they should be.
I'm not fond of any of the extra shit either. I'm just trying to find some sort of coverage for the next couple years...if it don't work out ehh I'm only out 60...if it does work out an I need to use it then I'm not out 400ish...

I tend to let money fly when I've had my fill...any sort of purchasable bandaid gives me comfort til it breaks lol

Hopefully its well worth it, sounds pretty solid though 👌🏼
Ive never paid for an additional warranty aside from whatever the manufacturer provides with the purchase.

Lmk how you like the ks5000, i wanna grab one for my 4x4 as soon as i can lol.
I hope it kicks ass I've been wanting to try the Samsung diodes...I'm sure it will be better than my current light...although if i can get moe to look at it and deem it worth fixing I'd love to throw this crappy thing in my veg tent.

On paper the light seems cool (current light that's burnt up) has like 140 different spectrum settings. You can basically fine tune reds and blues. 4 quick presets to mimmick hps, cmh, mh and the sun. Ai sun which gives you an artificial sunrise and sunset. Could never use the ai sun setting though because the timer that's also built in wasn't working right...so I couldn't set times for sun set...it would only do sun rise automatically when turned on. There is some neat functions to it...quality just lacking but if she can be fixed she may ride again🤷‍♂️

Alright this is the last post I'm going to make for this thread. Just checked Amazon to see if my product had shipped to see if Wednesday sounded reasonable as I'm trying to make plans to hook it up immediately. Oh it shipped, says arriving today.

I don't have prime and paid shipping.

24 hours give or take....very impressive. Idk if that's VS or amazon....but hells yas

Alright this is the last post I'm going to make for this thread. Just checked Amazon to see if my product had shipped to see if Wednesday sounded reasonable as I'm trying to make plans to hook it up immediately. Oh it shipped, says arriving today.

I don't have prime and paid shipping.

24 hours give or take....very impressive. Idk if that's VS or amazon....but hells yas
I bought a grinder through amazon last sunday it showed up the very next day.
Amazon has their shit together some days lol.

Some of the shit my wife orders is same day. Her Amazon addiction was starting to make me nervous before I chopped that outdoor. So many deliveries i was like "how am I gonna know when someone is coming to gank my shit?"

Trash man came at like 3 am over summer, i thought someone was breaking into our cars coming out of a dead sleep....that fool had a red dot on him until I realized who it was. We got a cool trash man too...once I get stable grows and steady supply he will pickup for a doobie and I can stop paying the 90 every 3 months

I bought a grinder through amazon last sunday it showed up the very next day.
Amazon has their shit together some days lol.
Bench grinder?......I bought one 2 weeks ago to use as a buffer. What brand? I got a Magnum, the only one I could find at the price that was all metal. A lot of the new cheapo's have gone to plastic & metal.

I ordered some pipe stems off Amzon over a month ago, still not here yet. Tracking says before Oct 20...lol

Bench grinder?......I bought one 2 weeks ago to use as a buffer. What brand? I got a Magnum, the only one I could find at the price that was all metal. A lot of the new cheapo's have gone to plastic & metal.

I ordered some pipe stems off Amzon over a month ago, still not here yet. Tracking says before Oct 20...lol
Nah, an herb grinder! Lol, but i have a Bosch angle grinder here, wish i had a bench grinder though. Would really come in handy!

Sounds like they are coming from Afpakchinastan....
I get shipments from amazon that takes months too, its cause they come from over seas and they dont rush any of that stuff.

My FIL waited almost 5 months for china to send him the computer chips he designed and sent to them to make 12 of. Its ridiculous how they expect people to wait so long after paying for something.

Once that order did show up id tell amazon it never made it and I'd get my money back😂😂

Sounds like they are coming from Afpakchinastan....
I get shipments from amazon that takes months too, its cause they come from over seas and they dont rush any of that stuff.

My FIL waited almost 5 months for china to send him the computer chips he designed and sent to them to make 12 of. Its ridiculous how they expect people to wait so long after paying for something.

Once that order did show up id tell amazon it never made it and I'd get my money back😂😂
I had an order like that back in December said February or something ended up coming in like 5 days and took all the way til February before it updated as "delivered" lol

Manual 👌🏼View attachment 22894
Was only 10 bucks so i couldnt pass it up.
Im not an electric fan.
I load this 5 or 6 times and thats usually enough for the day.
Not an electric fan? lol do you still use candles to light your home?.....I've heard of folks like you, the horse and buggy kind. Good carpenters I hear too....lol..... Really? whats not to like?

Question...I've been considering (because of stuff like this) just buying 5 or 6 100w full spectrum boards and daisy chaining them together....then if one goes out it's easier to recover..

Seen some nice plants grown under small 100-200w lights....surely there are drawbacks to this though...heat comes to mind first

Is this a viable option or should I just get a light that fits the 5x5?
One argument for smaller fixtures is you can customize the height if the canopy is uneven. Not sure if more heat is created per total watts.

One argument for smaller fixtures is you can customize the height if the canopy is uneven. Not sure if more heat is created per total watts.
Yup! I've been thinking the same thing. Better to have, in my 5 x 5, three small lights like I have now but a Gavita 1700e Pro is still looking mighty tasty.

My only worry on this next run is heat. I have two 275watt COB style lights that lit the last run but I didn't get the coverage that I would like versus a bar style light so I'm adding the 150watt VS1500 I won at THCFailure. That's 700watts of photonic goodness. I could keep temp below 80* through most of it but with the addition of this light that's going to be a challenge.

That gavita looks looks legit. I'm running two 150w hyperlites at 60% in my small tent.

Yup! I've been thinking the same thing. Better to have, in my 5 x 5, three small lights like I have now but a Gavita 1700e Pro is still looking mighty tasty.

My only worry on this next run is heat. I have two 275watt COB style lights that lit the last run but I didn't get the coverage that I would like versus a bar style light so I'm adding the 150watt VS1500 I won at THCFailure. That's 700watts of photonic goodness. I could keep temp below 80* through most of it but with the addition of this light that's going to be a challenge.

Yea I think that's the main downside to running some smaller lights chained vs a big bar light....heat dissipation.

I think I read the board style leds tend to be hotter....so I could see that being a little bit of an issue. So I went with a big light again....it was just priced better...5 100w boards was gonna run me up about another $140

You make your own cobs roots?

Yea I think that's the main downside to running some smaller lights chained vs a big bar light....heat dissipation.

I think I read the board style leds tend to be hotter....so I could see that being a little bit of an issue. So I went with a big light again....it was just priced better...5 100w boards was gonna run me up about another $140

You make your own cobs roots?
Do those big bar lights have an external power supply?

Reactions: MDK
Yea the one I bought does....10ft cable on it as well which is real nice..I got it hanging above the light in the tent currently but can move it if heat becomes and issue

Ya those small lights usually have built in power so it stays in the tent.

Sorry about that weird quote. Not quite sure how that happened.

Reactions: MDK
No problem you hit backspace once and it took you up into the prior person's reply. If it happens again space once or press return once👍

Back
Top Bottom