How to delay vegging plants while waiting for flowering plants to finish?

A

Amnesia

The Amnesia Haze plants in my veg tent suddenly started growing rapidly and are getting too big for the tent. The Black Jack plants in the flowering tent are at the end of week 8 and will need 1 to 3 more weeks. The flowering tent is bigger, so there will be room in it for the Amnesia Haze when the Black Jack are harvested. I'm wondering what I can do to delay the Amnesia Haze. I know I could top them, but is that the best (or only) thing I can do to delay them till the flowering tent is available?

You could keep them in smaller pots if you haven’t up potted them yet.that should restrict there size atleast.
Thanks. It's too late for that. They're in their final 5-gallon pots.

I'm sure pruning them back is the best option. I was hoping someone might have a better idea. They're not just too tall. They're also too wide.

maybe even turning the temps down to slow there photosynthesis could help.
I can do that. I was also just thinking about lowering the temperature in the flowering tent. The light in the veg tent is already at 25%.

This darn Amnesia Haze grew painfully slow, then suddenly started growing amazingly fast. I'm wondering if that has something to do with sativa genetics. At this point, though, it's just a matter of curiosity. It looks like they'll finish well, once they're in the flowering tent.

I had a couple plants I was keeping as short as possible for a while, I used the veg side only from a “blurple” light.
It seemed to keep them growing happy, but not big.

I’m not a fan of blurple lights because plants look almost black under them, at least to my eye, but they do keep vegging plants compact.

I had a couple plants I was keeping as short as possible for a while, I used the veg side only from a “blurple” light.
It seemed to keep them growing happy, but not big.

I’m not a fan of blurple lights because plants look almost black under them, at least to my eye, but they do keep vegging plants compact.
Yeah blue light reduces internode spacing also

reckon it would help.I run An 315 in veg seems to keep them short….temp differential would b the best way.right now I’m running my day time temp a little lower to my night temps is keeping stem elongation down a little ..if you run the same night temps or even exceed day time temps it puts the brakes on node elongation

Last edited:
reckon it would help.I run Ann 315 in veg seems to keep them short….temp differential would b the best way.right now I’m running my day time temp a little lower to my night temps is keeping stem elongation down a little ..if you run the same night temps or even exceed day time temps it puts the brakes on node elongation
Yes its referred to as a negative differential and that along with high blue spectrum lighting can make a plant very very compact.

@Dirtbag mentioned this awhile ago using the dif at beginning of flower to keep the stretch down.it’s pretty cool how you can manipulate the plants so much indoors..it amazes me with all these little tricks of the trade we have.

@Dirtbag mentioned this awhile ago using the dif at beginning of flower to keep the stretch down.it’s pretty cool how you can manipulate the plants so much indoors..it amazes me with all these little tricks of the trade we have.
Yeah i did that also when needed. Some info on it.

These guys covered it, but when I was keeping moms long term, I would keep the feed as minimal as possible, super low light, and temps in the high 60s. Did quite a bit of bonsai too to keep em from getting out of hand. Worked for quite a while, surprisingly. Had one mom for four years before I flowered her out.

Thanks everyone! This is extremely helpful information. Sorry I couldn't join the discussion yesterday. I haven't been feeling well.

I lowered the temperature settings for both tents from 76 to 74. I didn't want to drop it too much at once. This time of year, it's difficult to drop the temperature much lower.

I'm not sure how to create a "negative differential" in the tents. I don't know if the ACI controllers I use can do something like this based on a schedule. I'm looking into it.

I'm thinking I could add Alexa smart plugs for the heaters, so they would run on a schedule and not come on while the lights are on. That's my best idea so far, but it wouldn't do much because the lights create most of the heat. The lights already make the tents warmer than the heater setting—76º as I write this. That was the lights-off temperature, too.

I believe these might be the healthiest looking plants I've grown so far.

The one in front is probably okay till the flowering tent is ready. The one in back concerns me. I'm sure I'll have to do something with those two main stems. They're too close to the light already. As they are, they're too tall to stretch in the bigger tent, even though it has about a foot more vertical growing room than this tent.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to pull them out and do some cutting. They both need defoliating. That much is certain. It's just hard to do much while they're in that 28"x28" tent.

I was planning to move them before they grew so big. Now I need a Plan B.

1689183533914.jpeg

If you do bend it over have a look at Kyle Kushmans chiropractics on youtube. I think it helps make them supple enough to bend anywhere you want. I like to hear the snap it makes when the procedure is done.

............when pinching the stem make sure you squash it well so that it bends without breaking........even if it breaks its no big deal.....a bit of duct tape, some support for a day or 2 and it'll grow back stronger than it was before the break.

@Pipecarver - Thanks. I'll probably do it today. I have bent stems without pinching them, and that worked well.

The flowering plants start their 9th week today. I'm hoping they'll be ready to chop soon.
They have a better chance of splitting if you don't pinch I find....I'll bend them over up until about 2 weeks in flower, at that point they're still flexible enough to pinch and bend 90* Squish and wiggle back and forth until they get where you want. If the top gets too heavy for the bend and it wants to fall over, support it for a day or 2 at 90* then maybe stake it to support as it grows.

I would just take my scissors and cut the tops of the two tallest plants where @Pipecarver drew his line 🤷‍♂️

This will do 2 things;

1. slow down growth while she focuses on repairs
  2. force the apical meristem hormones through to the lower nodes resulting in more primary bud sites

& now you've got 2 lovely clones to get rooting :)

Hmmm... Bend or cut?

Cutting might be best. Width will be less of a problem than height. These look like they'll have nice branching for bud sites.

I'm not sure what I'd do with more clones, though, except get more practice starting them. Maybe they could go outside. I already have one clone from this plant from the first time I topped it. I'm eager to try that new starter soil I bought recently.

If you do bend it over have a look at Kyle Kushmans chiropractics on youtube. I think it helps make them supple enough to bend anywhere you want. I like to hear the snap it makes when the procedure is done.

............when pinching the stem make sure you squash it well so that it bends without breaking........even if it breaks its no big deal.....a bit of duct tape, some support for a day or 2 and it'll grow back stronger than it was before the break.
I love that snap too, does it make me a cannabis sadist? Lol

I have some uneven plants myself that need a little pain to whip them into shape. But going to give a few days to recover after transplant first.

I topped the two stems today. I removed about 8 inches. Then I cut the tops down to about 4 inches and removed the lowest branch. I had soil moistened in nursery pots and ready to use. I sterilized everything. I applied powder rooting hormone to the stem and put it in the soil. I put water in the saucers to make sure the soil stayed moist. I misted the leaves with tap water. Now, they're both adorning the garden window above our kitchen sink when there is only indirect light. The stem had slight reddishness and felt woody, so these might root slowly.

I am wondering if these could go outside. I'm thinking that because they were taken from an older plant, the age might cause them to flower in what's left of the growing season. I think the season might last through September.

I topped the two stems today. I removed about 8 inches. Then I cut the tops down to about 4 inches and removed the lowest branch. I had soil moistened in nursery pots and ready to use. I sterilized everything. I applied powder rooting hormone to the stem and put it in the soil. I put water in the saucers to make sure the soil stayed moist. I misted the leaves with tap water. Now, they're both adorning the garden window above our kitchen sink when there is only indirect light. The stem had slight reddishness and felt woody, so these might root slowly.

I am wondering if these could go outside. I'm thinking that because they were taken from an older plant, the age might cause them to flower in what's left of the growing season. I think the season might last through September.
You might want to put a dome over them until they root, They like high humidity the first 7-10 days

Back
Top Bottom