How to delay vegging plants while waiting for flowering plants to finish?

A

Amnesia

The Amnesia Haze plants in my veg tent suddenly started growing rapidly and are getting too big for the tent. The Black Jack plants in the flowering tent are at the end of week 8 and will need 1 to 3 more weeks. The flowering tent is bigger, so there will be room in it for the Amnesia Haze when the Black Jack are harvested. I'm wondering what I can do to delay the Amnesia Haze. I know I could top them, but is that the best (or only) thing I can do to delay them till the flowering tent is available?

You might want to put a dome over them until they root, They like high humidity the first 7-10 days
I don't have a dome, but maybe I could invent something. I read that spraying them several times a day helps. According to the web page, the clone can't get much water through the stem, but it can absorb some through the leaves. That may be why they benefit from high humidity. So, I sprayed them.

I don't have a dome, but maybe I could invent something. I read that spraying them several times a day helps. According to the web page, the clone can't get much water through the stem, but it can absorb some through the leaves. That may be why they benefit from high humidity. So, I sprayed them.
Up here in Canada the dollar store has single domes for $2 larger ones for $3. I used them for a bit until I bought the larger rectangle ones with a lid
1689510342096.png1689510424768.png

@Pipecarver - Thanks! I've seen those. Cloning is fun and I'm beginning to understand the advantages. I'm just not sure how much I'll need to do it. I also have three of these plants growing and two packs of seeds.

These wilted badly by yesterday evening, so I added water and sprayed the leaves. By morning, they were looking much better. I sprayed water on their leaves several times so far today. I've read that spraying the leaves frequently helps because there aren't roots to keep the plant hydrated.

The soil they're in includes mycorrhizae, so I'm interested to see how (or if) that affects their root development.

1689522336608.jpeg

@Pipecarver - Thanks! I've seen those. Cloning is fun and I'm beginning to understand the advantages. I'm just not sure how much I'll need to do it. I also have three of these plants growing and two packs of seeds.

These wilted badly by yesterday evening, so I added water and sprayed the leaves. By morning, they were looking much better. I sprayed water on their leaves several times so far today. I've read that spraying the leaves frequently helps because there aren't roots to keep the plant hydrated.

The soil they're in includes mycorrhizae, so I'm interested to see how (or if) that affects their root development.

View attachment 13590
Cutting the ends of the leaves helps seal them up and they stop transpiring . I'd seen people do it and wondered then I saw a YT video explaining it in English I could understand, Its beneficial to the cuttings to do it and they seem to stay green longer rather than yellowing or getting crispy ends.....taking about an inch off the longer leaves and proportionally off the smaller with clean sharp scissors.....

View attachment 13590

Misting young clones is good but can be too much at times. If your clone is sprouting leaves then it has a big enough root system that it doesn't need to be foliar fed. I don't like wetting leaves as it ups the chances of WPM and other harmful effects. Once or twice a day is more than enough.

Cutting the ends of the leaves helps seal them up and they stop transpiring . I'd seen people do it and wondered then I saw a YT video explaining it in English I could understand, Its beneficial to the cuttings to do it and they seem to stay green longer rather than yellowing or getting crispy ends.....taking about an inch off the longer leaves and proportionally off the smaller with clean sharp scissors.....

Yes. The goal is to spur root growth not photosynthesis.

Cutting the ends of the leaves helps seal them up and they stop transpiring .
I have been wondering about that for the longest time. I just read an article that claimed the reason was to fit the plants in the cloning chamber. I didn't mention it here because I thought it was dumb. What you said makes sense, but I would worry about damaging the plant and taking plant energy away from growing roots. I didn't do anything to the large lower fan leaves on my last clone and it is okay.

Misting young clones is good but can be too much at times. If your clone is sprouting leaves then it has a big enough root system that it doesn't need to be foliar fed. I don't like wetting leaves as it ups the chances of WPM and other harmful effects. Once or twice a day is more than enough.
My thinking is they'll need less misting as they grow. I noticed that the leaflet tips seemed to show signs of drying. Misting apparently reversed that, so I'm using that as an indicator of when to mist them. We'll see how well that works. They're sitting above the kitchen sink, which is a humid area of the house. I added a hygrometer since I took the picture and the RH near the plants is 61%.

The goal is to spur root growth not photosynthesis.
True for the first week or two, so it's best to keep them in low light. My thinking is that when they start showing signs of growth, they'll need more light and less nurturing. The roots seem to grow rapidly once they get started.

They seem a little happier now than when I took the picture. That was three hours ago. I'll try to post another picture later in the day. I figure if they're alive, there's a chance they'll root.
Whenever I do cuts they look so sad the first week or two in soil. I can tell when they've sprouted roots when the leaves start to come back and new leaf growth starts to appear.

Whenever I do cuts they look so sad the first week or two in soil. I can tell when they've sprouted roots when the leaves start to come back and new leaf growth starts to appear.
I used new growth as my indicator to move my previous clone to a larger pot. That came from the same plant as these two new clones.

Because I don't have a good place to grow new plants, I'm thinking of this cloning attempt as an experiment. I'm thinking specifically about a recent discussion regarding the effect of soil moisture on rooting. With my previous clone, I noticed rooting (and plant growth) increased when soil moisture decreased. So, now I am wondering whether root growth would be stimulated by the plant's need for moisture, based on the idea that the primary function of roots is to find and supply water. So, that will be something I'll be watching during the next week as these new clones develop.

I used new growth as my indicator to move my previous clone to a larger pot. That came from the same plant as these two new clones.

Because I don't have a good place to grow new plants, I'm thinking of this cloning attempt as an experiment. I'm thinking specifically about a recent discussion regarding the effect of soil moisture on rooting. With my previous clone, I noticed rooting (and plant growth) increased when soil moisture decreased. So, now I am wondering whether root growth would be stimulated by the plant's need for moisture, based on the idea that the primary function of roots is to find and supply water. So, that will be something I'll be watching during the next week as these new clones develop.
I plant my clones in dirt but I don't feed them much trying to get them to sprout roots and for those roots to spread quickly looking for water.

I plant my clones in dirt but I don't feed them much trying to get them to sprout roots and for those roots to spread quickly looking for water.
I haven't fed these, except for what might be in the soil I'm using. It's seedling soil, so there shouldn't be much in the way of nutrients in it. Mostly, I just want them to survive the shock and stay healthy until they start growing on their own. I just checked them and gave them a little spray of water. They're standing up straight and have started to lean toward the light, which I think is a good sign.

just super crop the tall branches.
Thanks. I thought about it, but decided to top them. They're waiting for the flowering tent, so the super cropping could come up again. I'm guessing I'll be able to harvest at least one plant in about two weeks. Those plants are near the end of week 9 of their 12/12 light/dark schedule.

Back
Top Bottom