How to grow enough to make home grow worth it?

elusive

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen me gripe in another thread about home growing not being worth it for me, and before I toss in the towel, I’m looking for suggestions.

I currently have 2 spaces to grow in inside (can’t grow outside, so that’s not an option). The first space is a 2x4’ tent with 2000/200w light. The second is ~5x5’ with a 4000/400w light.

The most I’ve been able to grow is about a qp with 5 plants. With fertilizers/nutrients/soil and electricity, that cost about $1500, so about $200-$250 per ounce (it was like 5-6 ounces in total).

I can buy an ounce for $80-$100.

Granted, I’ve always enjoyed my grow better than street or dispensary weed, but I can’t justify it anymore.

The 2x4 tent i can comfortably fit 2 plants, maybe 3. The 5x5 room i can comfortably fit 5-6 plants and still be able to reach the far back plants.

Is this a pipe dream, or is it possible to grow a pound or more every 12-14 weeks and have it close to being ~$100 per ounce with the space I have?

I’ve given up on my current grow and basically let the plants shrivel up at this point. I’m willing to start over and give it a final shot, but I feel like this is a losing battle.

Hit me with your best.

You may simply be mismanaging your grow space with size and number of plants.

I run on average a 3'x8' footprint and growing indicas with no veg time can fit up to 22 plants, finish them in about 80 days from dry seed, and it always seem to yield about 1lb.
Hybrid and sativa leaning plants will prolong the grow and reduce the number of plants but yield is still around 1lb when I put the wheels in motion.
I don't mind throwing money at my grow but it's gotta be in the right places. I'll spend top dollar on lights and quality soil but most nutes are way overpriced. So I run stuff you wont find at hydroshops but at normal garden centers so a $30 bottle of nutes can last me 3-4 grows. Reusing soils can also reduce costs. Avoid bloom boosters, hardeners, and any other snake oil as cannabis does not need that stuff

The X factor is love and passion. I do believe some people are destined to be growers and some buyers and it's the love of growing that usually separates the two

So with your 22 plants, what size pots are you using? You say no veg time so you just plant them and keep the lights at 12/12?

I could very well be mismanaging my space. I was always under the assumption of 5 gal pots were ideal, but I’m willing to give it another try.

First thing I notice, in my opinion you are underpowered light wise in both tents.
I'd run 300-320 in the 2x4, and like 750 in the 5x5. How I get those numbers is
Square feet x 30watts.

If you go down to 2 or 3 gallon pots you can fit 4-6 plants in a 2x4 and shit, like 15 in a 5x5!
I'm running 17 in a 4x8 with room for 3-5 more if I pushed them together closer.

I had this same issue in 5g bags, the pots are just too big for indoor unless in a 4x8 or larger imo. I really think it's all an operational error here man.
Commercial numbers in a 4x4 space is like 16 plants I think?

Also a HUGE HUGE factor in your yields is genetics!!

What are your lights? Do they have good diodes? Samsung are the ones I prefer.

I'm in a 5x5 with a 500w light and while it does good I can tell 600w or 650w would do better.
Are you growing from seed? Clone? Seed is cool bigger plants but a crap shoot, clone if you get something known for being a good yielder may be more predictable. My grow game improved a lot when I got ahold of a solid cut....I spammed it, grew 14 plants in a 5x5 with a scrog net in 2&3 gallon pots and netted nearly 2lbs. Also got the new light during that grow which helped a lot over the Chinese one I was using prior.

If possible put both lights in the 5x5...also I'd fill the tent up as much as possible (think sea of green) the plants will grow more vertical when there is no horizontal way to grow....also a full tent helps keep humidity in check, once I started doing this and not leaving space around my plants to walk and shit I no longer really needed my humidifier much past early veg. I just use a dehu from late veg onward.

Also strip the shit out of anything low, outside it don't matter but inside this is very important to getting the upper buds thicc

Use 2x4 tent for seedlings and veg 18/6. Use 5x5 for flowering. I pay 10.2 cents per kilowatt for hydro. I have a 3x3 tent for veg with 200 led light and the 5x5 tent with 600 watt led light for flower i never run at max output of light. I use pro mix 40.00 dollars a bale and purchased seeds 30-50 Dollars. I use botanicare nutrients a 1 litre bottle lasts 3to4 grows as i grow auto flowers and dont need alot of nutrients. So my cost lets say 100 for seeds and soil hydro lets say 50 per month times 3 months = 150.Nutrients 35 dollars a bottle for grow and bloom 70 total divided by 3 say another 25 dollars. so i usally grow six plants at a time in 5 gallon bags 6 in flowering tent and 6 vegging waiting to go into flowering tent. So my grows run me around 300 a shot and im almost always close to a pound per grow if not more.

The second is ~5x5’ with a 4000/400w light.
I don't have a lot of advice but with a 3x3 scrog net in my 5x5 tent, I've pulled 12oz and 14.5 oz with a 480w light. It was a two month veg but I was happy with the yield on my first two grows. It was a steep startup cost being in hydro but the second run had ZERO dollars put into it besides water and electricity.

I'd hate to see you give it up. As stressful as it could be at times, smoking my own has been worth every bit of it. It's been so rewarding.

I'll be mainlining this next run with a new and improved light. New nutes as well. I'll check back in when it's over with. Seeds just sprouted.

All from seed. Cloning is illegal in this state. I have a buddy who ended up getting caught buying clones through the mail, so I def don’t want to risk it.

Ill snag a bunch of 2 gallon pots and give it another go.

Are you leaving the lights at 12/12 from the start or are you giving them veg time, and if so, how long?

The lights claim samsung diodes, but it is an amazon special. The 2000/200 is a viper spectra.

Use 2x4 tent for seedlings and veg 18/6. Use 5x5 for flowering. I pay 10.2 cents per kilowatt for hydro. I have a 3x3 tent for veg with 200 led light and the 5x5 tent with 600 watt led light for flower i never run at max output of light. I use pro mix 40.00 dollars a bale and purchased seeds 30-50 Dollars. I use botanicare nutrients a 1 litre bottle lasts 3to4 grows as i grow auto flowers and dont need alot of nutrients. So my cost lets say 100 for seeds and soil hydro lets say 50 per month times 3 months = 150.Nutrients 35 dollars a bottle for grow and bloom 70 total divided by 3 say another 25 dollars. so i usally grow six plants at a time in 5 gallon bags 6 in flowering tent and 6 vegging waiting to go into flowering tent. So my grows run me around 300 a shot and im almost always close to a pound per grow if not more.

My kw/h is 2.5 times higher than yours.

If growing outdoors was an option, I’d have no issues (my veggie/fruit garden has exploded to the point i barely have to buy groceries this season).

Running 2 tents is costing me $3-400 a month at this point. My solar generation should be putting me in the negative payments, but I’m blowing through my generation so fast that i still end up paying $500 or so each month in electricity (and i’m hardly ever home).

It’s become incredibly discouraging.

All from seed. Cloning is illegal in this state. I have a buddy who ended up getting caught buying clones through the mail, so I def don’t want to risk it.

Are you leaving the lights at 12/12 from the start or are you giving them veg time, and if so, how long?

The lights claim samsung diodes, but it is an amazon special. The 2000/200 is a viper spectra.
I would not go any smaller than 3 gallon pots

It's illegal to ship clones because you have to cross into federal territory for shipment.
I got clones shipped to me a few times here in NY.

But your state has whack weed laws.

Last edited:

Viparspectra is good that's what I'm using no complaints

Is taking your own clones illegal? I get the mail thing but you should be able to take your own clones id think if growing is legal there. It's a good tool to have when you find a plant that is worth keeping for sure.

If you cant put both lights in same tent id put the main big light to one side mostly and use the unlit side for shit like heater dehu Huey whatever may actually sit in the tent. Start small with shit you already have see if you can improve there without spending a ton since you are already on the ropes

So with your 22 plants, what size pots are you using? You say no veg time so you just plant them and keep the lights at 12/12?

I could very well be mismanaging my space. I was always under the assumption of 5 gal pots were ideal, but I’m willing to give it another try.

I start seeds at 18/6 and when the first 5 point leaves show I flip to flower. A clone can be flipped at any time after roots have set.
I'm using 3.84 gallon pots classified as 5 galllon by nursery supply

I just used an online electricity calculater for fun your total light capacity 600 watts running 18 hours per day at a rate of 30 cents per kilowatt running at 80 percent light capacity will run you 74.00 dollars per month. What else are you running in your grow room.

Running 2 tents is costing me $3-400 a month at this point.
Jeez and i thought i was getting fucked dry by the eletrical company, i see theyre at least using lube on me!!!
I'm running at least 2x maybe even 3x what you are, have zero solar, and only pay $350-400 a month for my entire place!

Is moving out of CT an option?
(Partially a joke) lol 😆

It's illegal to ship clones because you have to cross into federal territory for shipment.
I got clones shipped to me a few times here in NY.

But your state has whack weed laws.

Viparspectra is good that's what I'm using no complaints

Is taking your own clones illegal? I get the mail thing but you should be able to take your own clones id think if growing is legal there. It's a good tool to have when you find a plant that is worth keeping for sure.

If you cant put both lights in same tent id put the main big light to one side mostly and use the unlit side for shit like heater dehu Huey whatever may actually sit in the tent. Start small with shit you already have see if you can improve there without spending a ton since you are already on the ropes

I cant find the exact law (on my phone which lacks the ability to search a website or pdf), but last i knew even taking your own were illegal (not that i really care about that). That could have changed as it looks like their docs were updated recently this year.

I start seeds at 18/6 and when the first 5 point leaves show I flip to flower. A clone can be flipped at any time after roots have set.
I'm using 3.84 gallon pots classified as 5 galllon by nursery supply

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

I just used an online electricity calculater for fun your total light capacity 600 watts running 18 hours per day at a rate of 30 cents per kilowatt running at 80 percent light capacity will run you 74.00 dollars per month. What else are you running in your grow room.

Humidifier, dehumidifier, fans, exhaust fans. Plus soil and nutrients. Figure about 1000 watts, so about $130-140 in electricity. Electric delivery charge is 100% of the usage, so that’s more like $260-$300 per month. That’s $1200 in electricity over 4 months. 4 - 6 bags of soil, so another $200ish, nutrients is about $200 per grow using humboldts secret. Plus any other odds and ends needed (gloves, trimmers, storage for drying, etc).

Jeez and i thought i was getting fucked dry by the eletrical company, i see theyre at least using lube on me!!!
I'm running at least 2x maybe even 3x what you are, have zero solar, and only pay $350-400 a month for my entire place!

Is moving out of CT an option?
(Partially a joke) lol 😆

Electricity in this state is a joke. Last year my bill went from $190 to $450 in 1 month. Same usage. They doubled our kwh rate and delivery charge is the same as usage. This was in middle of winter so no AC. Also no solar at this point and only the 2000/200w light.

With solar, my bill shouldve dropped but its basically the same all year long now.

Sadly moving isnt an option.

Electricity in this state is a joke. Last year my bill went from $190 to $450 in 1 month. Same usage. They doubled our kwh rate and delivery charge is the same as usage.
And here I called to bitch my supplier out over a 75 dollar hike on the same usage lol 😆
Man, I didn't realize CT was just as bad if not worse than NY... 😳

And here I called to bitch my supplier out over a 75 dollar hike on the same usage lol 😆
Man, I didn't realize CT was just as bad if not worse than NY... 😳

It’s Eversource. They fucking suck and our state sucks for not curbing their fucking greed. We’re now getting a $35 fee added to our bill to cover non-payers. Like what in the fuck?

It’s Eversource. They fucking suck and our state sucks for not curbing their fucking greed. We’re now getting a $35 fee added to our bill to cover non-payers. Like what in the fuck?
I would now be a non payer running a generator. Fk that shit

Last edited:
If i didnt have a 4 year old, I’d be living life a lot differently. I cant subject him to that style of life tho lol
Yeah I get that, and I know it's hard to move, I'm trying like hell myself and it's not gonna happen any time soon unfortunately 😕

Do you mean just using coco coir, drop the seed in, and set the lights to 12/12 and let’r rip?
Nope use the 2x4 as a mother and clone tent. Run 20ish plants in the 5x5 1 week veg and flip.

1/2-1 gal pots or rockwool drain to waste. 8 week strain means 9-10 weeks per harvest.

Method is called sea of green and is the most productive per space by a long shot IMO. Yeah all the plants are small but the overall yield is as high or higher.

You cut clones 2weeks before garvest and root tgem in the mother tent with the mother. Then transfer to the grow tent. Ceg 1 week and flip. Repeat continuously

Some of you may have seen me gripe in another thread about home growing not being worth it for me, and before I toss in the towel, I’m looking for suggestions.

I currently have 2 spaces to grow in inside (can’t grow outside, so that’s not an option). The first space is a 2x4’ tent with 2000/200w light. The second is ~5x5’ with a 4000/400w light.

The most I’ve been able to grow is about a qp with 5 plants. With fertilizers/nutrients/soil and electricity, that cost about $1500, so about $200-$250 per ounce (it was like 5-6 ounces in total).

I can buy an ounce for $80-$100.

Granted, I’ve always enjoyed my grow better than street or dispensary weed, but I can’t justify it anymore.

The 2x4 tent i can comfortably fit 2 plants, maybe 3. The 5x5 room i can comfortably fit 5-6 plants and still be able to reach the far back plants.

Is this a pipe dream, or is it possible to grow a pound or more every 12-14 weeks and have it close to being ~$100 per ounce with the space I have?

I’ve given up on my current grow and basically let the plants shrivel up at this point. I’m willing to start over and give it a final shot, but I feel like this is a losing battle.

Hit me with your best.
That’s easy..move to australia and become an outlaw 😁

Back
Top Bottom