How to grow enough to make home grow worth it?

elusive

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
Some of you may have seen me gripe in another thread about home growing not being worth it for me, and before I toss in the towel, I’m looking for suggestions.

I currently have 2 spaces to grow in inside (can’t grow outside, so that’s not an option). The first space is a 2x4’ tent with 2000/200w light. The second is ~5x5’ with a 4000/400w light.

The most I’ve been able to grow is about a qp with 5 plants. With fertilizers/nutrients/soil and electricity, that cost about $1500, so about $200-$250 per ounce (it was like 5-6 ounces in total).

I can buy an ounce for $80-$100.

Granted, I’ve always enjoyed my grow better than street or dispensary weed, but I can’t justify it anymore.

The 2x4 tent i can comfortably fit 2 plants, maybe 3. The 5x5 room i can comfortably fit 5-6 plants and still be able to reach the far back plants.

Is this a pipe dream, or is it possible to grow a pound or more every 12-14 weeks and have it close to being ~$100 per ounce with the space I have?

I’ve given up on my current grow and basically let the plants shrivel up at this point. I’m willing to start over and give it a final shot, but I feel like this is a losing battle.

Hit me with your best.

On a serious note.power usage at certain times through the grow get up there for me..highest being under $ 1100 for 11-12 weeks flower and lowest $700 .that’s configuring the veg room in aswell.315 light.. 630w light for flower ,heaters,dehuey etc..im easily getting 2lb ea grow in 5x5 .5 week veg 6 plants in 4 gal 60/40 coco/perlite.a ft at the front is used for the heater fans etc.a higher yielding strain I’d probably get 3 lb .

Last edited:
Nope use the 2x4 as a mother and clone tent. Run 20ish plants in the 5x5 1 week veg and flip.

1/2-1 gal pots or rockwool drain to waste. 8 week strain means 9-10 weeks per harvest.

Method is called sea of green and is the most productive per space by a long shot IMO. Yeah all the plants are small but the overall yield is as high or higher.

You cut clones 2weeks before garvest and root tgem in the mother tent with the mother. Then transfer to the grow tent. Ceg 1 week and flip. Repeat continuously
So cut the clones, veg in mother tent for 2 weeks, then put into flower tent for a week to veg then flip, or just flip when you put them in?

Is there any videos on this topic you could recommend?

So cut the clones, veg in mother tent for 2 weeks, then put into flower tent for a week to veg then flip, or just flip when you put them in?

Is there any videos on this topic you could recommend?
Just got home. Give me a fee and ill try to dig some info up for ya.

It all depends in you equipment but i will go through it based on what you have for space

I have no read this particular article but it should be pretty good. Most of their info is usually bang on.

All from seed. Cloning is illegal in this state. I have a buddy who ended up getting caught buying clones through the mail, so I def don’t want to risk it.

Ill snag a bunch of 2 gallon pots and give it another go.

Are you leaving the lights at 12/12 from the start or are you giving them veg time, and if so, how long?

The lights claim samsung diodes, but it is an amazon special. The 2000/200 is a viper spectra.

I saw this and didn't finish reading the rest of the thread ... So you're saying that you can't clone your own plants for your own use? I hope not ... I don't clone every grow, but cloning is a viable way to make better use of space. Once you have roots, you can put them directly in 12/12 lighting. Your smaller tent could be used for your mother(s) and your cloner and your larger tent for your rooted clones. Doing it this way you should be able to fit 1 plant per ft sq.

I have an over-sized 4' x 8' tent. Actual dimensions are 54" x 98" so it's the perfect size to hang two Grower's Choice ROI E-720's. However to be honest with you, I've never run both lights at the same time. It would get expensive on the electric bill. However, when running 1 light, I can still place 12 plants in the space. I use 3 gallon fabric pots which I place in boot trays so I can slide the whole boot tray out for plant care and have easy access to each of my plants. I use 4 trays with each holding 3 plants. Here's a picture of my winter grow from this past winter. 12 plants and I got between 4oz and 6oz off each plant.

Winter 23-24.jpg

Dispensary ounces in my area can be as low as $80 but usually between $100 and $120 depending on strains. Electricity costs me an additional $100 a month during peak and it takes me about 4 months to complete a run.

Now for this autofeed is a big big plus to have because of the small media. I recommend 1 gal pots with 1 per square foot. But in a 5x5 only use the 4x4 space or plants WILL be growing up the walls big time.

Cut clones and root (7-10) days in rapid rooters. Transplant into 1 gal coco.

Or

Cut clones and root (7-10) days in RW starter cubes.

I did coco.

Then transplant into your 1 gal pots or larger RW blocks once rooted. This is all kept in the mother tent. Can use a shelf if needed and you only need a shot low watt light. You just want them rooted and not under stress.

Tip: cut 20-30 clones and pick the best 16 to transplant. Toss the rest.

Then after the 3-5 days after transplant move them into the 5x5.

Space 1 sq ft. apart leaving the perimeter foot empty.

Wait 1 week to adjust to new light intensity as you start to ramp it up. Then flip to flower and watch them explode.

Now each genetic may or may not need some pruning right at flip. You only need the top 1-3 nodes (cut the rest off) this will hopefully mean you do not need to go in and trim for the rest of the grow.

If you can’t afford a catch pan whip something up that you can vacuum up or elevate the plants and vacuum the bottom of the tent after waterings. Can help you figure something out.

By late flower you maybe feeding daily or 2x a day. We can adjust pot size depending on your time.

I can also help you automate it for fairly cheap depending how far you want to automate it.

When I get home from work I’ll gather a material/equipment list.

If this is going to require multiple waterings a day, I’ll def need to automate some part of that (I’m typically not at home from 6:30 AM until sometimes 11PM, and most days after 7PM as I have my son most of the week).

Alright, so here’s what I got:

Viperspectra 2000/200 watt light (in the 2x4 tent). Dimmable in stages from i believe 30% up to 100%.

SZHLUX 4000/400 watt bar light. Has 2 switches “A” and “B”, which turns on and off rows of lights (one turns off 3 and the other 4 I believe).

I also have some other supplemental lights I used in a 2nd 2x4 tent for seedlings, but they’re weak lights and become inefficient after a week of veg.

“Flower room” is slightly larger than 5x5’. The highest the light hangs down is slightly over 6’ from the ground. I can take actual measurements if needed.

For pots, I have 3, 5, and 7 gallon fabric pots, as well as some half gallon plastic pots (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LVRVQ8X)

I also have a DWC kit I never put to use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JRRJVSJ

For automation, I’ve never set up anything like this, but I’m no stranger to programming. I’ve been using my pi to build an automatic poker table indicator for a table I’m building (to randomly select the first dealer, then move the “buttons” in order), which controls LED’s and uses toggle switches to indicate if a player is in the game or not, and a momentary switch to move positions. Since it’s on the pi, I’m using python and GPIO pins.

So with that, is there something I can do with what I have, or is there things I would still need to get?

@Aqua Man

Alright, so here’s what I got:

Viperspectra 2000/200 watt light (in the 2x4 tent). Dimmable in stages from i believe 30% up to 100%.

SZHLUX 4000/400 watt bar light. Has 2 switches “A” and “B”, which turns on and off rows of lights (one turns off 3 and the other 4 I believe).

I also have some other supplemental lights I used in a 2nd 2x4 tent for seedlings, but they’re weak lights and become inefficient after a week of veg.

“Flower room” is slightly larger than 5x5’. The highest the light hangs down is slightly over 6’ from the ground. I can take actual measurements if needed.

For pots, I have 3, 5, and 7 gallon fabric pots, as well as some half gallon plastic pots (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08LVRVQ8X)

I also have a DWC kit I never put to use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09JRRJVSJ

For automation, I’ve never set up anything like this, but I’m no stranger to programming. I’ve been using my pi to build an automatic poker table indicator for a table I’m building (to randomly select the first dealer, then move the “buttons” in order), which controls LED’s and uses toggle switches to indicate if a player is in the game or not, and a momentary switch to move positions. Since it’s on the pi, I’m using python and GPIO pins.

So with that, is there something I can do with what I have, or is there things I would still need to get?

@Aqua Man
Just on lunch give me about 45 min bro. A drain table would be ideal. Can make it cheap and will link you the material.

Ok 1 of these cut in half gives you 2-6ft x26” pieces. You can cut to any size you need but you overlap them so you get 4x6’. Can cut down to 4x4 or 5x4 feet if needed.

You build a small frame from 2x3 the size of the table you want. You rest on side on the ground and add 1-2” block on the other so it drains to the low side. The ridges act to divert water in that direction.

Then a 4-5” piece of eavesdropping to catch the runnoff. Then into a shallow bucket with a small float and pump you can run to a drain or catch basin. You can buy combo or just a float switch if you have a pump already.

I ran my to the drain with and AC furnace drain pump like this. But cheaper ones are out there. You can just add a drain hole to the eaves that goes into the built in catch pan.

Little Giant 554425 VCMA-20ULS 80 GPH 1/30 HP Automatic Condensate Pump with Safety Switch for HVAC, Dehumidifier, Furnace, Air Conditioner
https://a.co/d/99bCNU9

To feed you need a seconds timer and depending on the pump you have you feed as often as need for as long as need to get the volume. You simply mix a res up and use 1/4 tubing for like irrigation like this to each plant.

Limited-time deal: MIXC 1/4 inch Blank Distribution Tubing Drip Irrigation Hose, 50ft Roll
https://a.co/d/gHh83Sq

use 1/2 black tubing to make a loop then branch off with the 1/4 tube. Using connectors like this for tubing. Im sure they are on amazon cheaper.

Thats you autofeed auto drain set and forget it system. Maybe $200 and you will only ever need to fill up a res and never have to water your plants again

Ok 1 of these cut in half gives you 2-6ft x26” pieces. You can cut to any size you need but you overlap them so you get 4x6’. Can cut down to 4x4 or 5x4 feet if needed.

I think I actually have some left over from my greenhouse project from a year and a half ago (clear instead of opaque). I'll have to check.

You build a small frame from 2x3 the size of the table you want. You rest on side on the ground and add 1-2” block on the other so it drains to the low side. The ridges act to divert water in that direction.

Then a 4-5” piece of eavesdropping to catch the runnoff. Then into a shallow bucket with a small float and pump you can run to a drain or catch basin.

I'm assuming you mean build the frame out of 2x3 planks? For the eavesdropping, are you using left over roof flashing, or are you using something more like a house gutter? This seems to be kind of a "whatever you have that works will work" situation, yeah? Also, are you securing the roof flashing, or just resting it on the frame?

Now how shallow of a bucket? I have some buckets that are around 5" tall (very similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Rosebloom-Rectangle-Plastic-Washing-Basins/dp/B0CSFKWHWZ) that I was initially using as reservoirs for water wicking/self watering, so I guess as long as the table is high enough for the runoff to be above the bucket, it should be fine yeah?

You can buy combo or just a float switch if you have a pump already.

I ran my to the drain with and AC furnace drain pump like this. But cheaper ones are out there. You can just add a drain hole to the eaves that goes into the built in catch pan.

Little Giant 554425 VCMA-20ULS 80 GPH 1/30 HP Automatic Condensate Pump with Safety Switch for HVAC, Dehumidifier, Furnace, Air Conditioner
https://a.co/d/99bCNU9

To feed you need a seconds timer and depending on the pump you have you feed as often as need for as long as need to get the volume. You simply mix a res up and use 1/4 tubing for like irrigation like this to each plant.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, I could just have the run off go into this unit you linked here to keep it recirculating? Then from this unit, run the 1/2" tubing around all of the pots? Do you mix your feed and just put in this pump? In the past with my small aerogarden, I've noticed some nutrients gunk up the motor fairly quickly and required it to be cleaned in a very short period of time. What kind of nutrients would you recommend for this?

Also, you're going 1/2 tube to the 1/4 self tap, to 1/4" tubing, or are you curling the 1/2" around the pot and using the self taps and having those just point to the center of the pot?

For the coco coir - are you using any specific product, or are you getting a brick of coir that you basically just add water to and break up by hand?

For the mother plant, which I need to start soon I guess, when do you start taking clones? I've experimented with it when I trimmed other plants, but never took more than maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Is there a good video/resource on how to properly take clones from a mother plant without stressing the plant out/cutting too much/too often/whatever else?

Overall, though, I think I have most of the stuff to build this aside from the pump, the 1 gallon pots, and maybe the tubing, and will likely need a timer.

You mention a seconds timer. Do you mean a timer that counts in seconds, or did you mean a second timer to run the pump? Assuming the latter. How long do you run the pump for and how often? Should I look for a timer that runs X minutes every Y hours?

Some of you may have seen me gripe in another thread about home growing not being worth it for me, and before I toss in the towel, I’m looking for suggestions.

I currently have 2 spaces to grow in inside (can’t grow outside, so that’s not an option). The first space is a 2x4’ tent with 2000/200w light. The second is ~5x5’ with a 4000/400w light.

The most I’ve been able to grow is about a qp with 5 plants. With fertilizers/nutrients/soil and electricity, that cost about $1500, so about $200-$250 per ounce (it was like 5-6 ounces in total).

I can buy an ounce for $80-$100.

Granted, I’ve always enjoyed my grow better than street or dispensary weed, but I can’t justify it anymore.

The 2x4 tent i can comfortably fit 2 plants, maybe 3. The 5x5 room i can comfortably fit 5-6 plants and still be able to reach the far back plants.

Is this a pipe dream, or is it possible to grow a pound or more every 12-14 weeks and have it close to being ~$100 per ounce with the space I have?

I’ve given up on my current grow and basically let the plants shrivel up at this point. I’m willing to start over and give it a final shot, but I feel like this is a losing battle.

Hit me with your best.
No brother, you are not doing something right. You should yield a 1lb. plus a light. So, 2 micro-climates, ? 1 "Lung Room" at 76 degrees? We gonna get you straighten out brother. Ok. Better help than me guys come on. SS I grow in Coco, but it's my super soil recipe. HELP budbuilders

I'm assuming you mean build the frame out of 2x3 planks? For the eavesdropping, are you using left over roof flashing, or are you using something more like a house gutter? This seems to be kind of a "whatever you have that works will work" situation, yeah? Also, are you securing the roof flashing, or just resting it on the frame?
Yes build frame with 2x3.
For eaves i used a gutter.
I secured it with the screws for metal roofing that have the oring seals on them.

Now how shallow of a bucket? I have some buckets that are around 5" tall (very similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Rosebloom-Rectangle-Plastic-Washing-Basins/dp/B0CSFKWHWZ) that I was initially using as reservoirs for water wicking/self watering, so I guess as long as the table is high enough for the runoff to be above the bucket, it should be fine yeah?
I would go with a condensate pump to keep the table as low as possible to retain height in the tent.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, I could just have the run off go into this unit you linked here to keep it recirculating? Then from this unit, run the 1/2" tubing around all of the pots? Do you mix your feed and just put in this pump? In the past with my small aerogarden, I've noticed some nutrients gunk up the motor fairly quickly and required it to be cleaned in a very short period of time. What kind of nutrients would you recommend for this?
I prefer dry salts as they dissolve easily and don’t gunk up.

You could recirculate it but i did drain to waste.
For the coco coir - are you using any specific product, or are you getting a brick of coir that you basically just add water to and break up by hand?
Canna coco is certified pest free. Rinse if bricks or use the pre expanded stuff.
For the mother plant, which I need to start soon I guess, when do you start taking clones? I've experimented with it when I trimmed other plants, but never took more than maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Is there a good video/resource on how to properly take clones from a mother plant without stressing the plant out/cutting too much/too often/whatever else?
Just going to be based on when the plant has enough site to take enough clones. Probably 2 month veg should do.
Overall, though, I think I have most of the stuff to build this aside from the pump, the 1 gallon pots, and maybe the tubing, and will likely need a timer.

You mention a seconds timer. Do you mean a timer that counts in seconds, or did you mean a second timer to run the pump? Assuming the latter. How long do you run the pump for and how often? Should I look for a timer that runs X minutes every Y hours?
Yes a time that counts seconds. Nearpow is what i used like this one.

Timer Outlet, Nearpow Multifunctional Infinite Cycle Programmable Plug-in Digital Timer Switch with 3-Prong Outlet for Appliances, Energy-Saving Timer, 15A/1800W
https://a.co/d/1mc6dSo

I secured it with the screws for metal roofing that have the oring seals on them.

I would go with a condensate pump to keep the table as low as possible to retain height in the tent.

Canna coco is certified pest free. Rinse if bricks or use the pre expanded stuff.

Just going to be based on when the plant has enough site to take enough clones. Probably 2 month veg should do.

Timer Outlet, Nearpow Multifunctional Infinite Cycle Programmable Plug-in Digital Timer Switch with 3-Prong Outlet for Appliances, Energy-Saving Timer, 15A/1800W
You don't need to wash or treat Canna brick @Aquaman. Thanks for the imput, we gotta keep him growin.

Thanks for the info! I think the pump you linked to will be good. Unless the plants are going to grow 6'+ tall, I think having a 6-7" high table should be okay, or I can just drain to waste like you and just use a short waste pan/bucket and not worry about it.

So would something like this be all I would need for nutrients? https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-4-18-38-Complete-Combo-Fertilizer/dp/B0727VTWH5/

What's enough? I just fill up my tent and get an average of a dozen 1/2 gallon jars of weed...they're usually about 75% full....around a couple pounds

A pound of weed every 16 weeks for $100 or less per ounce. Right now I can get an ounce of pretty good stuff for $100/ounce, and some bottom end mids for $80/ounce (it actually smokes pretty good, but it's not trimmed well and doesn't look/smell as good as other stuff)

Thanks for the info! I think the pump you linked to will be good. Unless the plants are going to grow 6'+ tall, I think having a 6-7" high table should be okay, or I can just drain to waste like you and just use a short waste pan/bucket and not worry about it.

So would something like this be all I would need for nutrients? https://www.amazon.com/MASTERBLEND-4-18-38-Complete-Combo-Fertilizer/dp/B0727VTWH5/

A pound of weed every 16 weeks for $100 or less per ounce. Right now I can get an ounce of pretty good stuff for $100/ounce, and some bottom end mids for $80/ounce (it actually smokes pretty good, but it's not trimmed well and doesn't look/smell as good as other stuff)
Yep master blend will do it

Yep master blend will do it

Awesome, thanks.

I know the mother plant doesnt matter if shes in soil or not, but should I stick to a 5 gallon pot? I can also go down to a 3, or up to a 7 if it’s preferable.

With the clones, should I get some rooting/cloning gel? Would fresh aloe be useful? (I have a few aloe plants that I could harvest). Other than that, is it just putting them in coco/the 1 gal pot and then hand water with nutrients?

Awesome, thanks.

I know the mother plant doesnt matter if shes in soil or not, but should I stick to a 5 gallon pot? I can also go down to a 3, or up to a 7 if it’s preferable.

With the clones, should I get some rooting/cloning gel? Would fresh aloe be useful? (I have a few aloe plants that I could harvest). Other than that, is it just putting them in coco/the 1 gal pot and then hand water with nutrients?
Whatever you feel comfortable with any will work and you can always start a nee mother from a clone in the future.

I would use cloning gel and rapid rooters with a tray and dome. They sell fairly reasonably priced kits that come with the rapid rooters

Whatever you feel comfortable with any will work and you can always start a nee mother from a clone in the future.

I would use cloning gel and rapid rooters with a tray and dome. They sell fairly reasonably priced kits that come with the rapid rooters

Okay cool. I’ll prob start a mother plant this weekend - get everything cleaned up and ready for it.

I’ll also start getting things here and there over the next 2 months while I build up the table and get that room all situated.

Okay cool. I’ll prob start a mother plant this weekend - get everything cleaned up and ready for it.

I’ll also start getting things here and there over the next 2 months while I build up the table and get that room all situated.
How much were you pulling per plant in yield? 3 - 4 oz per plant in cured bud is about my average. Occasionally the monsters pop up and give 6 - 8 but that’s not often for me. I grow in 5 - 7 g fabs.

Vegging with 12-12 idk total or individual weights but it's decent.
IMG_20230503_185810.jpg1000000417.jpg_20221127_145252.JPG_20221205_191910.JPG_20221127_145409.JPG_20221127_145015.JPG
These days after vegging/sexing with 12-12 I go to 11-13 I get a shorter more compact plant allowing me to grow more variety and even 2 per pot.

These two for example are in the same pot.
20240809_190141.jpg
20240819_144115.jpg
One of two plants from the same pot.
20240531_185827 (1).jpg
Coco mineral salts, dtw and autopots if I can help out with a plan give a shout.

Back
Top Bottom