How to make the most potent canna butter ?

I really want to start experimenting with making and producing edibles like the cakes I mentioned amongst other things, because I really do believe or so I keep telling myself that we can't be that far behind and they legalise it over here and once they do I believe there wud be a massive gap in the market for it , I'm currently studying catering hoping to be a pastry chef in the hope of opening a bakery/pastrisserie in the future, and it wud be sick if one day I cud legally sell edibles I've made ! Sure it's all just a pipe dream at the moment but totally do able if the government sorts it's fuckin head out !

I really want to start experimenting with making and producing edibles like the cakes I mentioned amongst other things, because I really do believe or so I keep telling myself that we can't be that far behind and they legalise it over here and once they do I believe there wud be a massive gap in the market for it , I'm currently studying catering hoping to be a pastry chef in the hope of opening a bakery/pastrisserie in the future, and it wud be sick if one day I cud legally sell edibles I've made ! Sure it's all just a pipe dream at the moment but totally do able if the government sorts it's fuckin head out !
We all started in the same place, have faith and be a proponent every chance you get.

We all started in the same place, have faith and be a proponent every chance you get.
The whole systems totally messed up bud, I'm a recovering alcoholic been sober 5 years now but was bad for 15 years, lost everything through drink more than once and the fact I can go to practically any shop, supermarket or anywhere and legally buy that poison, yet if the police came into my cellar I'd get arrested (maybe not arrested for 4 plants, the only reason I only do 4) but they wud certainly take my plants and all my equipment, well I think that is fuckin ridiculous ! And they need to sort it out ! Rant over 😂

The whole systems totally messed up bud, I'm a recovering alcoholic been sober 5 years now but was bad for 15 years, lost everything through drink more than once and the fact I can go to practically any shop, supermarket or anywhere and legally buy that poison, yet if the police came into my cellar I'd get arrested (maybe not arrested for 4 plants, the only reason I only do 4) but they wud certainly take my plants and all my equipment, well I think that is fuckin ridiculous ! And they need to sort it out ! Rant over 😂
Congrats on your sobriety!
I get the whole legal poison thing. I always felt that way here. It’s a good argument to be presented to legislators, along with death statistics.
Maybe some day they will become greedier like here. They couldn’t say no when they found out what they could make in taxes!

Congrats on your sobriety!
I get the whole legal poison thing. I always felt that way here. It’s a good argument to be presented to legislators, along with death statistics.
Maybe some day they will become greedier like here. They couldn’t say no when they found out what they could make in taxes!
Well that's another reason it's a no brainer for me, the amount of money they could make, plus the amount of jobs it wud create 😂 if there's one thing that our government is, its bloody greedy, so I just don't get it 🤷‍♂️

Sometimes I miss the black market. The grass is not always greener.

I never made a living or anything like that off growing, but at least the option was there. Now, there is no way to compete with the volumes. $25 ounces means that after electricity and whatnot, you might make a buck or 2 an hour on a personal grow.

If cakes are your thing, I would definitely work on the consistency problem with edibles. Thats the biggest hangup IMO. People can self moderate how high they get when smoking, the high is pretty quick and its easy to quit puffing or smoke some more as needed. With edibles, you really need to hit that correct dosage point or disappointment, or worse yet scaring someone away from the product permanently can happen.

The good thing about cake is that you can benefit from the cheap weed (assuming you go legal and things pan out like they did here) and focus on the baking. Here we need a special license to make things from concentrates, but it is a step removed from growing. Seems like the farming side is the one that has huge competition, less so on the custom baked goods. I think if you were here you would do alright selling your stuff.

Sometimes I miss the black market. The grass is not always greener.

I never made a living or anything like that off growing, but at least the option was there. Now, there is no way to compete with the volumes. $25 ounces means that after electricity and whatnot, you might make a buck or 2 an hour on a personal grow.

If cakes are your thing, I would definitely work on the consistency problem with edibles. Thats the biggest hangup IMO. People can self moderate how high they get when smoking, the high is pretty quick and its easy to quit puffing or smoke some more as needed. With edibles, you really need to hit that correct dosage point or disappointment, or worse yet scaring someone away from the product permanently can happen.

The good thing about cake is that you can benefit from the cheap weed (assuming you go legal and things pan out like they did here) and focus on the baking. Here we need a special license to make things from concentrates, but it is a step removed from growing. Seems like the farming side is the one that has huge competition, less so on the custom baked goods. I think if you were here you would do alright selling your stuff.
Firstly where the hell can you buy weed for $25 an ounce ??? Is that what it is over there ? Bloody hell I need to immigrate ! 😂 not that your country wud take me with my previous criminal record but that's mental ! It's £140/150 an ounce over here. But yeah cakes is mainly what I'm gonna be working with, don't get me wrong I prefer a smoke myself all day long, but I know alot of people that stay away from weed because the don't like the idea of smoking it and with edibles you can do it more discreetly, like if your walking down the street with a joint hanging out your mouth everyone knows your smoking weed, but if you walk down the street eating a piece of cake nobody bats an eyelid 😂

Decarb weed, melt an entire box of butter and add same amount of water, add weed to butter. Slow simmer for 2 - 4 hrs. Strain through cheese cloth filter into large glass bowl. Put bowl in freezer. The next morning your canna butter will have separated from the water and the water will have frozen. Remove ice and butter from bowl and separate the two.

I used to package it so I would slow melt the butter to pour consistency and pour it into butter molds.

@Jonnyboi84 - The last time I was in California I could buy an ounce of weed from a dispensary for $90. Black market meet ups you could buy oz's for around $35. With the overabundance of product in states like Oklahoma and Oregon it's killed the price of weed overall here in the states.

Decarb weed, melt an entire box of butter and add same amount of water, add weed to butter. Slow simmer for 2 - 4 hrs. Strain through cheese cloth filter into large glass bowl. Put bowl in freezer. The next morning your canna butter will have separated from the water and the water will have frozen. Remove ice and butter from bowl and separate the two.

I used to package it so I would slow melt the butter to pour consistency and pour it into butter molds.

@Jonnyboi84 - The last time I was in California I could buy an ounce of weed from a dispensary for $90. Black market meet ups you could buy oz's for around $35. With the overabundance of product in states like Oklahoma and Oregon it's killed the price of weed overall here in the states.
@Rootsruler that is madness to me I sell mine dirt cheap to the local dealer for £110, and as I say that's really cheap if I was only getting £35 for an ounce it wouldn't even be worth it to me, not that I even do it for the money I mainly do it so I don't have to pay 140/150 an ounce coz I smoke 1 per week and cant afford it so I normally keep 15 ounce for myself and then just sell whatevers left and that's just a bonus, so yeah when I think about it like that legalisation has its issues too I guess. So if I was to use an ounce of weed how much butter would I need ? Bearing in mind the blocks of butter you buy over here are 250g ?

Hey Rootz, why add water?

Firstly where the hell can you buy weed for $25 an ounce ??? Is that what it is over there ? Bloody hell I need to immigrate ! 😂 not that your country wud take me with my previous criminal record but that's mental ! It's £140/150 an ounce over here. But yeah cakes is mainly what I'm gonna be working with, don't get me wrong I prefer a smoke myself all day long, but I know alot of people that stay away from weed because the don't like the idea of smoking it and with edibles you can do it more discreetly, like if your walking down the street with a joint hanging out your mouth everyone knows your smoking weed, but if you walk down the street eating a piece of cake nobody bats an eyelid 😂
People over here sell it thru the mail for those prices I'm told. I don't know how except maybe outdoor or greenhouse weed.

Edibles on the go are for sure the best stealth way to do it.

I'm not sure of @Rootsruler's reason for the water. However, I can tell you mine .... the water prevents burning the butter since it floats on the water. It also helps ensure that you're not getting the weed too hot.

He freezes the mixture when done, and that works well because the ice will melt and then you pour the water off the butter. When I make mine, I chill the mixture in the refrigerator and then pour the water off the solidified butter. Both methods work just fine.

I'm not sure of @Rootsruler's reason for the water. However, I can tell you mine .... the water prevents burning the butter since it floats on the water. It also helps ensure that you're not getting the weed too hot.

He freezes the mixture when done, and that works well because the ice will melt and then you pour the water off the butter. When I make mine, I chill the mixture in the refrigerator and then pour the water off the solidified butter. Both methods work just fine.
Thanks! Always open to learn a new method!

I rarely use weed in its vegetative state for magic butter. Instead, I use concentrates which can be purchased in my area in "1/4 oz baller jars" for about $5.00 a gram. With concentrates, no "green butter" after-taste. In my opinion, it makes a better tasting edible.
I use well cured flower, which means left overs between harvests. The worst I have ever done was dubbed skunk butter and man was it!

@Rootsruler that is madness to me I sell mine dirt cheap to the local dealer for £110, and as I say that's really cheap if I was only getting £35 for an ounce it wouldn't even be worth it to me, not that I even do it for the money I mainly do it so I don't have to pay 140/150 an ounce coz I smoke 1 per week and cant afford it so I normally keep 15 ounce for myself and then just sell whatevers left and that's just a bonus, so yeah when I think about it like that legalisation has its issues too I guess. So if I was to use an ounce of weed how much butter would I need ? Bearing in mind the blocks of butter you buy over here are 250g ?

1 to 1. Sticks of butter in the states usually weigh around 4 ozs. A box of butter usually carries around 4 sticks. 16 ozs of butter to 16 ozs of weed trim. I never really "Weighed" how much I was putting in so 1 to 1 may be a bit much but it was pretty close! @CannaGranny mentioned her recipe uses an ounce for every pound of butter. Probably why the first batch I sold to a dispensary sold out the same day!!! 😄

I had forgotten that I was making this for sale and not personal consumption so I printed up custom butter wrappers from parchment paper on my inkjet printer with a comical devil face and "XXX" on the wrapper and delivered it to the dispensary. Dispensary called me the afternoon of the morning I had delivered them and wanted to reorder. He told me someone had come in and bought a stick then came back a few hours later and bought all the rest.

At the time I was brokering bales of trim to extractors through some of the connections I had to some of the NorCal farms so trim wasn't hard for me to come by. I used to sell 5 lb bags of trim to local edible bakers that made their own infused oils also.

As @MiGrampa mentioned, it helps from scorching the butter but I feel it's most useful after I get it in the freezer. Most of the solids that are suspended in the butter after it's been filtered will sink to the bottom of the butter floating on top of the ice. When I separate the butter from the ice I can scrape off the solids and get a pretty clean consistent butter without bits of plant material in it. After I've strained it into the glass bowl, I usually let it sit on the counter for a few hours to cool and allow the solids to sink to the water. If I stuck it in the freezer immediately it would solidify the butter too fast and any solids would stay suspended in the butter.

I also don't try and squeeze out the cheesecloth to try and extract every bit of butter. I noticed it imparts this weird grassy flavor if I do that.

Last edited:
1 to 1. Sticks of butter in the states usually weigh around 4 ozs. A box of butter usually carries around 4 sticks. 16 ozs of butter to 16 ozs of weed trim. I never really "Weighed" how much I was putting in so 1 to 1 may be a bit much but it was pretty close! @CannaGranny mentioned her recipe uses an ounce for every pound of butter. Probably why the first batch I sold to a dispensary sold out the same day!!! 😄

I had forgotten that I was making this for sale and not personal consumption so I printed up custom butter wrappers from parchment paper on my inkjet printer with a comical devil face and "XXX" on the wrapper and delivered it to the dispensary. Dispensary called me the afternoon of the morning I had delivered them and wanted to reorder. He told me someone had come in and bought a stick then came back a few hours later and bought all the rest.

At the time I was brokering bales of trim to extractors through some of the connections I had to some of the NorCal farms so trim wasn't hard for me to come by. I used to sell 5 lb bags of trim to local edible bakers that made their own infused oils also.

As @MiGrampa mentioned, it helps from scorching the butter but I feel it's most useful after I get it in the freezer. Most of the solids that are suspended in the butter after it's been filtered will sink to the bottom of the butter floating on top of the ice. When I separate the butter from the ice I can scrape off the solids and get a pretty clean consistent butter without bits of plant material in it. After I've strained it into the glass bowl, I usually let it sit on the counter for a few hours to cool and allow the solids to sink to the water. If I stuck it in the freezer immediately it would solidify the butter too fast and any solids would stay suspended in the butter.

I also don't try and squeeze out the cheesecloth to try and extract every bit of butter. I noticed it imparts this weird grassy flavor if I do that.
A trick I use. I make butter in pint jars. As soon as they come out, I allow it to sit cool and start to solidify then I go to the fridge with it. As soon as it solidifies I use a sucker stick and make holes all the way through to the bottom. I put the lid back on and invert the jar. It drains everything into the lid. Milk solids, minute pieces of material. Works great!

I can get it delivered starting at about $50Cdn an oz or about 20 in British pounds
1711741349625.png

Back
Top Bottom