Light meter.

GrumpAzz

Wingin' it
Staff member
Contest Guy
Reaction score
Hey folks. I've been thinking about grabbing a light meter ever since I picked up the hobby. The prices weren't appealing in the beginning, but now I'd like to know my PPFD output.

I know there are phone apps you can get but all the reviews say that they get close but aren't accurate, so I don't see the point. Why get readings if they're inaccurate?

I'm seeing lots of different kinds of meters online and I just have one main question...
- What's the difference between a PAR meter and a PPFD meter? PAR meters seem to be a bit cheaper. Are there conversions to take into account when measuring PAR levels while wanting to know the PPFD?

Anyone have a PPFD meter they'd recommend? I'm currently looking at the Spot On brand.

Hey folks. I've been thinking about grabbing a light meter ever since I picked up the hobby. The prices weren't appealing in the beginning, but now I'd like to know my PPFD output.

I know there are phone apps you can get but all the reviews say that they get close but aren't accurate, so I don't see the point. Why get readings if they're inaccurate?

I'm seeing lots of different kinds of meters online and I just have one main question...
- What's the difference between a PAR meter and a PPFD meter? PAR meters seem to be a bit cheaper. Are there conversions to take into account when measuring PAR levels while wanting to know the PPFD?

Anyone have a PPFD meter they'd recommend? I'm currently looking at the Spot On brand.
I don't know enough about them but everything I read says Apogee Instruments is the best of the best. Made by Bruce Bugbee if that means anything to you 🤷🏻

This also has a par meter and gives you all the info of your grow

"I know there are phone apps you can get but all the reviews say that they get close but aren't accurate, so I don't see the point. Why get readings if they're inaccurate?"

Why? Because numbers are just numbers-it's all relative. Any meter that gives consistent readings is all you need. Not all PAR is created equal either. I can think of a dozen reasons not to have a PAR meter, and not one good reason to need one. GL though.

This also has a par meter and gives you all the info of your grow
I know Bandit uses the pulse pro. I like the fact that it measures all kinds of things. I have no idea what my co2 levels are.

Why? Because numbers are just numbers-it's all relative. Any meter that gives consistent readings is all you need
Well I'm not looking for readings that are simply consistent. I would also like accuracy. If you're consistently wrong, you're wrong every time.

What's it gonna hurt to have an accurate number for the amount of light your plants are getting? Your wallet?

I understand it may not be necessary, but for someone trying to dial in their grow space, I can absolutely see the benefit of having one.

What about the old timey analog ones used for photography? ,,Dont need no batteries.....

if i had $500 to burn i would have had a pulse pro when they first came out. it's good with the blurple, not all meters are.
Well it's up high on my list. 500 for all those readings or 500 for an apogee. Or a little under 500 for a mammoth. I do like the mammoth because it's got it's own screen.

What about the old timey analog ones used for photography? ,,Dont need no batteries.....
I'm not sure. I'd have to look into it. It will need to be able to read spectrums as well.

I do like the mammoth because it's got it's own screen.

on sale right now to, i like the wand deal. you're never going to want to just see one spot. you'll want to move it all around and measure a "grid" so to speak..

Mo'par no par, carry on

C'mon now!!!

il_794xN.6155786828_m4l2.jpg

if i had $500 to burn i would have had a pulse pro when they first came out. it's good with the blurple, not all meters are.
This is what I'm confused on-I think. Hope someone can educate me. 1000 ppfd from a blurple light isn't going to be the same as 1000 ppdf from a 3000k samsung led. Isn't the optimal ppfd going to depend on the spectrum and the light source?
Sorry, I'm confused maybe.

This is what I'm confused on-I think. Hope someone can educate me. 1000 ppfd from a blurple light isn't going to be the same as 1000 ppdf from a 3000k samsung led. Isn't the optimal ppfd going to depend on the spectrum and the light source?
Sorry, I'm confused maybe.
You're right. That's why the good one's get expensive because they also include a spectrometer and use red, green and blue wavelengths to find actual ppfd.

Correct color spectrum is a whole different topic, but if you've got the color ratios dialed in conjunction with the right meter, you can hit optimal color ratios and ppfd. I'm sure "optimal" will vary with different strains, though.

Isn't the optimal ppfd going to depend on the spectrum and the light source?
Spectrum yes light source no. A photon is a photon does not care what the source is. But light sources have specific spectrums that define how many blue, red, etc photons combine to give you ppfd.

This is a truly complex topic that deserves a proper explanation. Putting a number on your light (the most important part of any grow) is like understanding VPD. Useful if you have a good understanding of what it means, confusing and detrimental if you don’t.

I use apogee personally. But I also use a spectrophotometer. Both are needed to fully understand what you are feeding your plants. You can make a spectrophotometer for about $200 which gives you the curve. Apogee gives you the overall power you are sending to the plant. It’s kinda like amps and volts. You really need both numbers to understand what an electrical appliance is doing, but separately they still have meaning.

What do you think of this one?
I like it. Tech has come a long way since I bought mine. That gives you actionable info, especially if you have control of spectrum.

Ppfd gives you the sugar making potential
Spectrum gives you morphology and hormone control

Together these are how we tune our lights.

If you want to measure the effects of sugar production at various ppfd you could use one of these.

IMG_4220.png

You use this to measure the sugar content from fan leaf sap. If all you vary is ppfd or spectrum you can see the results in the plant from day to day

I like it. Tech has come a long way since I bought mine. That gives you actionable info, especially if you have control of spectrum.
Cool. I like that it's a standalone unit. No need for an extra app or wifi.

I have a couple things I need to talk the wife into and this'll be something she can at least benefit a little from.

Cool. I like that it's a standalone unit. No need for an extra app or wifi.

I have a couple things I need to talk the wife into and this'll be something she can at least benefit a little from.
You can borrow my apogee if you want. My lights are all off for the next month. Give you plenty of time to measure your space and build a profile. Mine has a switch to measure far red too if you are into that. And I have uva and uvb meters you can play with too. I know you are good for it, and I also know where you live if I don’t get them back lol

You can borrow my apogee if you want. My lights are all off for the next month. Give you plenty of time to measure your space and build a profile. Mine has a switch to measure far red too if you are into that. And I have uva and uvb meters you can play with too. I know you are good for it, and I also know where you live if I don’t get them back lol
Yeah hell yeah. That'd give me time to talk the wife into it, too.

Far red, maybe. UV I don't think will do me any good.

Yeah hell yeah. That'd give me time to talk the wife into it, too.

Far red, maybe. UV I don't think will do me any good.
Far red is a way to create specific responses but has become a marketing thing. Most lights that say they have it don’t have enough to be effective. But it’s nice to know what you are working with.

Uv is not something I plan to pursue further. I’d rather pump more red photons out during flower than uv from a tuning standpoint. Uv has also become a marketing thing. Although I have seen uvb bring out minor cannabinoids like thcv.

never used any of the fancy ones but I use the phone app Photone and use the cosine corrector you can get through the app for 25 bucks. I'd like to compare it to a legit light meter to see how accurate it is but so far I haven't had any issues

"I know there are phone apps you can get but all the reviews say that they get close but aren't accurate, so I don't see the point. Why get readings if they're inaccurate?"

Why? Because numbers are just numbers-it's all relative. Any meter that gives consistent readings is all you need. Not all PAR is created equal either. I can think of a dozen reasons not to have a PAR meter, and not one good reason to need one. GL though.
@GrumpAzz - The actual type of meter you're looking for is called a quantum light meter. I have one. It's a nice gadget, but to be honest it doesn't get used much. I tend to see this more like @growsinse79 ... its a number. What matters more than that number is how your plants respond to the light they are receiving during your grow.

I bought the meter thinking it would be useful, and I thought that it would be something I would use often. The reality is I rarely use it, and whether or not I use it has no correlation to how well I manage my grows. It's probably been easily 2 yrs and near 100 plants ago that I used it last.

In my eyes, you're better off focusing on how the plant looks and responds than buying an expensive meter to give you a ppfd reading. Save your money and use a free phone app instead.

Spectrum yes light source no. A photon is a photon does not care what the source is. But light sources have specific spectrums that define how many blue, red, etc photons combine to give you ppfd.

This is a truly complex topic that deserves a proper explanation. Putting a number on your light (the most important part of any grow) is like understanding VPD. Useful if you have a good understanding of what it means, confusing and detrimental if you don’t.

I use apogee personally. But I also use a spectrophotometer. Both are needed to fully understand what you are feeding your plants. You can make a spectrophotometer for about $200 which gives you the curve. Apogee gives you the overall power you are sending to the plant. It’s kinda like amps and volts. You really need both numbers to understand what an electrical appliance is doing, but separately they still have meaning.

This has been my understanding as well. With my old PAR meter I was always comparing what my lights were doing to the Sun.
In some instances, I felt like I was creating better light indoors than what the Sun could do especially since outdoor plants still stretch and still have larf just like an under powered grow light indoors

What UV meter do you like Moe?
Mine are simpletons...one is digital but it's for like sunbathers and knowing the UV index and how long you can be exposed without harm.
The other is just a card for reptiles. It turns blue like a pregnancy test when UV is present😋
I haven't used my Pulse under UV yet though so not sure if it will work.

Far red is a way to create specific responses but has become a marketing thing. Most lights that say they have it don’t have enough to be effective. But it’s nice to know what you are working with.

Uv is not something I plan to pursue further. I’d rather pump more red photons out during flower than uv from a tuning standpoint. Uv has also become a marketing thing. Although I have seen uvb bring out minor cannabinoids like thcv.

Like a moth to the flame I'm gonna dive into another trial with UV. This time with a LED source and not floro.
I'm the sucker the marketing is targeting. Nothing matter more to me than potency, terps, and cannabinoids. They say increase of resin/oil and I'm like

giphy.gif
never used any of the fancy ones but I use the phone app Photone and use the cosine corrector you can get through the app for 25 bucks. I'd like to compare it to a legit light meter to see how accurate it is but so far I haven't had any issues

I might be able to test this for you in a few weeks.

I use mine mostly for multi light arrays and seeing how they blend and work together, figuring out spacing and heights.
But if using one light or say two lights that are the same I agree they're not really needed. Manufacturer info and plants will tell you everything

I know Bandit uses the pulse pro. I like the fact that it measures all kinds of things. I have no idea what my co2 levels are.

Well I'm not looking for readings that are simply consistent. I would also like accuracy. If you're consistently wrong, you're wrong every time.

What's it gonna hurt to have an accurate number for the amount of light your plants are getting? Your wallet?

I understand it may not be necessary, but for someone trying to dial in their grow space, I can absolutely see the benefit of having one.

Inkbird make a nice temp/RH/CO2 monitor. CO2 PPM is some nice info to have in the grow.

on sale right now to, i like the wand deal. you're never going to want to just see one spot. you'll want to move it all around and measure a "grid" so to speak..

Exactly. Sweet spots and dead zones are nice to identify before a plant goes in otherwise you don't realize you have a dead zone until a plant is under performing. And say you know you have a sweet spot without a meter, it's a good idea to give your best specimen that spot to get the most out of her.
But yeah with a meter and adjusting lights you can pretty much turn the whole footprint into a sweet spot

Back
Top Bottom