Need help choosing growlight

Mars_Barz

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing an HLG growlight when they go on sale next. I want the Diablo X, but it's advised new growers stay way from it. What sorts of issues might I encounter using it as a new grower? Should I get it anyways? It's a steep investment so I don't wanna tread wrong here.

I am going to be purchasing an HLG growlight when they go on sale next. I want the Diablo X, but it's advised new growers stay way from it. What sorts of issues might I encounter using it as a new grower? Should I get it anyways? It's a steep investment so I don't wanna tread wrong here.
The Diablo X is a double chip design which essentially means half the heat with near twice the light intensity of a single chip LED.You say, wow, less heat ... has to be a good thing. It is except a new grower is much more likely to max out the light and burn up the plants underneath it. It's not the light. The light is probably a top 5 grow light in the industry ... and the price tends to show that. The problem is a new grower's lack of experience in recognizing how much light is too much. It's the light intensity and not the heat and that means light burn can creep up on you before you even realize it.

I would not tell a new grower not to buy an HLG light. Instead, I would recommend keeping the light intensity down until you know how the plants under it will respond. For example, different stages of growth requires different levels of light. Seedlings probably don't need more than 30% of the light's capability. That would likely change to the neighborhood of 50% during veg and 75-80% during peak flower. To use that light at 100% intensity, you would either need a large distance between plant tops and the light or be using a well dialed in hydro system with CO2 supplement.

To sum it up, its just too strong unless you go into the grow knowing what it's capable of and how to recognize plant damage due to excessive light. If you want to purchase it, you'll love it after your learning curve. You can shorten that learning curve using a free ppfd phone app (or an expensive quantum light meter) and dialing in your light levels based on the plant's growing stages.

I am in touch with Spartan Grown of MBGS, he now works for GML or Grand master level lighting company. These led lights have the same problem as HLG, User Error, with that said, Spartan told me GML will have a more budget friendly light soon, spec's unknown. I'll keep everyone at Bud Builders updated as I text with Spartan further. SS

Ao the TLDR version.

Moat decent LEDs will be capable of producing too much light.

Less heat simply is a result of more efficient LEDs

generally these are marketed for use with co2 but thats just a marketing thing these days because most LEDs will put out enought light to take advantage of co2.

If you have the space i would buy it as they are good quality and well build lights

Your decision is going to come down to your grow space itself. What height do you have?

You can always run it on a lower power output and there are tools to measure light intensity

Can you provide information on your plans and grows space as that would really determine your needs as well as any future plans

The Diablo X is a double chip design which essentially means half the heat with near twice the light intensity of a single chip LED.You say, wow, less heat ... has to be a good thing. It is except a new grower is much more likely to max out the light and burn up the plants underneath it. It's not the light. The light is probably a top 5 grow light in the industry ... and the price tends to show that. The problem is a new grower's lack of experience in recognizing how much light is too much. It's the light intensity and not the heat and that means light burn can creep up on you before you even realize it.

I would not tell a new grower not to buy an HLG light. Instead, I would recommend keeping the light intensity down until you know how the plants under it will respond. For example, different stages of growth requires different levels of light. Seedlings probably don't need more than 30% of the light's capability. That would likely change to the neighborhood of 50% during veg and 75-80% during peak flower. To use that light at 100% intensity, you would either need a large distance between plant tops and the light or be using a well dialed in hydro system with CO2 supplement.

To sum it up, its just too strong unless you go into the grow knowing what it's capable of and how to recognize plant damage due to excessive light. If you want to purchase it, you'll love it after your learning curve. You can shorten that learning curve using a free ppfd phone app (or an expensive quantum light meter) and dialing in your light levels based on the plant's growing stages.
So if I were to purchase a PPFD meter, it'll save my plants from user error? What about the abundance of deep red LED's? How does a new grower mitigate the 'stretch' effect exhibited by the plants when exposed to these LED's?

Ao the TLDR version.

Moat decent LEDs will be capable of producing too much light.

Less heat simply is a result of more efficient LEDs

generally these are marketed for use with co2 but thats just a marketing thing these days because most LEDs will put out enought light to take advantage of co2.

If you have the space i would buy it as they are good quality and well build lights

Your decision is going to come down to your grow space itself. What height do you have?

You can always run it on a lower power output and there are tools to measure light intensity

Can you provide information on your plans and grows space as that would really determine your needs as well as any future plans
I don't have a tent yet, I am considering grabbing that 'new' 4x4 Gorilla grow tent that's 6'8 tall.

I'd like to grab the light during HLG's next Black Friday sale, which is coming up. I want the X, because I think I'm going to get more value with it in my growing endeavours altogether. But because I'm a new grower, I don't want to purchase it and be unable to use it due to grower ignorance/error or something of the sort. Hopefully that makes sense.

So if I were to purchase a PPFD meter, it'll save my plants from user error? What about the abundance of deep red LED's? How does a new grower mitigate the 'stretch' effect exhibited by the plants when exposed to these LED's?
I, personally, would be more inclined to suggest you use a free PPFD smart phone app over purchasing a quantum light meter. As for "stretch," I don't worry about it. My space has a ceiling height of 80" and I typically change the light cycle to 12/12 when my plants get to be around 18" - 24" and I use a combination of low stress training and supercropping to keep my plants within its space. Others top their plants. I prefer not to ... that's a personal choice.

Gorilla tents are fine although quite expensive. I have an AC Infinity 5' x 5' and an over-size Agro Max 4' x 8' both are top of the line in quality and can be purchased for less than a Gorilla Grow Tent. The choice is yours. You won't go wrong with any of those brands mentioned.

The deep reds influence the plant morphology. I have added extra reds to both my setups as I believe it improves bud quality in the lower parts of the plant and has a direct influence on the number of bud sites and leads to better yields.

If you're looking for a complete setup, my suggestion would be to look at AC Infinity Tent and Light packages. HLG are great lights but they aren't the only great lights out there. My preference are bar lights. I have a pair of Grower's Choice ROI-E720's which produce 800 watts when using the GC light controller and a 640 watt Nanolux foldable in my tents. I don't use quantum board style lights past seedling stage. I believe bar lights work better in grow spaces 80" and less where large size quantum boards work better in spaces with higher over-head space.

I don't have a tent yet, I am considering grabbing that 'new' 4x4 Gorilla grow tent that's 6'8 tall.

I'd like to grab the light during HLG's next Black Friday sale, which is coming up. I want the X, because I think I'm going to get more value with it in my growing endeavours altogether. But because I'm a new grower, I don't want to purchase it and be unable to use it due to grower ignorance/error or something of the sort. Hopefully that makes sense.
Its definitely overkill for a 4x4 you only need close to half that wattage. But you can do it if run at lower intensity.

Personally i think you could spend half that much money on a light that will be adequate for your 4x4.

To answer your other post the reds in it will actually help give an even canopy by taking advantage of the shade avoidance mechanism.

If you want HLG honestly save some money and go refurbished. These lights here are way more than capable for a 4x4 and will do a 5x5 in flower.

I, personally, would be more inclined to suggest you use a free PPFD smart phone app over purchasing a quantum light meter. As for "stretch," I don't worry about it. My space has a ceiling height of 80" and I typically change the light cycle to 12/12 when my plants get to be around 18" - 24" and I use a combination of low stress training and supercropping to keep my plants within its space. Others top their plants. I prefer not to ... that's a personal choice.

Gorilla tents are fine although quite expensive. I have an AC Infinity 5' x 5' and an over-size Agro Max 4' x 8' both are top of the line in quality and can be purchased for less than a Gorilla Grow Tent. The choice is yours. You won't go wrong with any of those brands mentioned.

The deep reds influence the plant morphology. I have added extra reds to both my setups as I believe it improves bud quality in the lower parts of the plant and has a direct influence on the number of bud sites and leads to better yields.

If you're looking for a complete setup, my suggestion would be to look at AC Infinity Tent and Light packages. HLG are great lights but they aren't the only great lights out there. My preference are bar lights. I have a pair of Grower's Choice ROI-E720's which produce 800 watts when using the GC light controller and a 640 watt Nanolux foldable in my tents. I don't use quantum board style lights past seedling stage. I believe bar lights work better in grow spaces 80" and less where large size quantum boards work better in spaces with higher over-head space.
Yeah bar lights get a lot more even coverage and can be hung lower. Ideal for tents

OP in a tent a strip light is probably a better option.

Yeah bar lights get a lot more even coverage and can be hung lower. Ideal for tents

OP in a tent a strip light is probably a better option.

@Mars_Barz

Tell us more about your space you're planning to use for your grow area. There's a lot more to consider than just a light and tent. For example, tent placement matters unless you're able to reach all plants from the front or don't mind playing "Twister" on watering days. My tents are positioned so I can get to them on 3 sides ... 4 sides is even better. You'll also want to consider both ventilation and airflow (there's a difference). I can go on about other things too ... soil/coco/hydro grows all have different things to consider.

Anyway, tells us what you have to work with space-wise and so on .... @Aqua Man had a reason for asking this question earlier.

I actually don't have a smartphone, haha. I was honestly intending to purchase a PPFD meter along with everything else to run my setup (trust me, there's a lot of things). The way I look at it, $200 or $300 is a small price to pay in the greater scheme of things to accurately dial in your light distance, considering most invest $1000 or more into their growlight, $500 for a tent, $400 for inline fan, etc.

As for the tent, the only reason I opted for Gorilla is because of the height clearance. They have a 'new' tent that no longer has the option to make it higher (permanent 6'8 height) and they've departed from their old door design; it only opens from one way now, similar to most other tents on the market. Vivosun has a newly designed tent on the market that looks absolutely FANTASTIC. However, it doesn't extend past six feet in height. If they offered that tent in 7ft model, I'd probably grab it tomorrow.
@Mars_Barz

Tell us more about your space you're planning to use for your grow area. There's a lot more to consider than just a light and tent. For example, tent placement matters unless you're able to reach all plants from the front or don't mind playing "Twister" on watering days. My tents are positioned so I can get to them on 3 sides ... 4 sides is even better. You'll also want to consider both ventilation and airflow (there's a difference). I can go on about other things too ... soil/coco/hydro grows all have different things to consider.

Anyway, tells us what you have to work with space-wise and so on .... @Aqua Man had a reason for asking this question earlier.
I actually don't know what space I have to work with at the moment. I'm probably not going to run it in the place I currently reside. Which is sort of the reason I wanted to grab a 4x4 tent as opposed to a 5x5 tent, I don't know the space of the next dwelling I am going to move to next. A 4x4 tent is definitely easier to make work than a 5x5 (albeit, probably not by much).

We're only allowed to (legally) run four plants here in Canada. Therefore a 4x4 or preferably a 5x5 grow space is optimal to achieve that end. Right now I'm running a MH in a 2x4 grow space and I can only really push two plants per time in that space.
Its definitely overkill for a 4x4 you only need close to half that wattage. But you can do it if run at lower intensity.

Personally i think you could spend half that much money on a light that will be adequate for your 4x4.

To answer your other post the reds in it will actually help give an even canopy by taking advantage of the shade avoidance mechanism.

If you want HLG honestly save some money and go refurbished. These lights here are way more than capable for a 4x4 and will do a 5x5 in flower.

I contacted HLG and asked them if I could run the Diablo in a 4x4, they told me the same thing lol. Told me I'd have heat issues, suggested to turn the lamp down and put an exhaust over the driver.

I appreciate the links, but I'm really deadset on the X. I was having a conversation with someone on another forum about the light. This user has been growing since the 90's, only using HID. She decided to take a spin on the Diablo X. She was so blown away by the performance of this light that she bought another one. Needless to say, she no longer uses HID's.

Interestingly enough though, that 650R was actually the first HLG growlight that tickled my fancy and had me watching them for the last three and a half years. Every single time they have a sale and I don't buy a growlight, I am left feeling awfully disgusting and disappointed in myself afterwards. This has been something I've wanted to do for a while now.

And for anyone in Canada reading this, if you grab a growlight during their Black Friday sale, I believe it's 30% off. 25% or 30% off. In Canada, they have two sales, Black Friday and 420. I've been tracking them. The Black Friday promotion offers a better discount than the 420 promo does. At thirty percent discount, the light only comes to $1253 instead of $1791

I actually don't have a smartphone, haha. I was honestly intending to purchase a PPFD meter along with everything else to run my setup (trust me, there's a lot of things). The way I look at it, $200 or $300 is a small price to pay in the greater scheme of things to accurately dial in your light distance, considering most invest $1000 or more into their growlight, $500 for a tent, $400 for inline fan, etc.

As for the tent, the only reason I opted for Gorilla is because of the height clearance. They have a 'new' tent that no longer has the option to make it higher (permanent 6'8 height) and they've departed from their old door design; it only opens from one way now, similar to most other tents on the market. Vivosun has a newly designed tent on the market that looks absolutely FANTASTIC. However, it doesn't extend past six feet in height. If they offered that tent in 7ft model, I'd probably grab it tomorrow.

I actually don't know what space I have to work with at the moment. I'm probably not going to run it in the place I currently reside. Which is sort of the reason I wanted to grab a 4x4 tent as opposed to a 5x5 tent, I don't know the space of the next dwelling I am going to move to next. A 4x4 tent is definitely easier to make work than a 5x5 (albeit, probably not by much).

We're only allowed to (legally) run four plants here in Canada. Therefore a 4x4 or preferably a 5x5 grow space is optimal to achieve that end. Right now I'm running a MH in a 2x4 grow space and I can only really push two plants per time in that space.

I contacted HLG and asked them if I could run the Diablo in a 4x4, they told me the same thing lol. Told me I'd have heat issues, suggested to turn the lamp down and put an exhaust over the driver.

I appreciate the links, but I'm really deadset on the X. I was having a conversation with someone on another forum about the light. This user has been growing since the 90's, only using HID. She decided to take a spin on the Diablo X. She was so blown away by the performance of this light that she bought another one. Needless to say, she no longer uses HID's.

Interestingly enough though, that 650R was actually the first HLG growlight that tickled my fancy and had me watching them for the last three and a half years. Every single time they have a sale and I don't buy a growlight, I am left feeling awfully disgusting and disappointed in myself afterwards. This has been something I've wanted to do for a while now.

And for anyone in Canada reading this, if you grab a growlight during their Black Friday sale, I believe it's 30% off. 25% or 30% off. In Canada, they have two sales, Black Friday and 420. I've been tracking them. The Black Friday promotion offers a better discount than the 420 promo does. At thirty percent discount, the light only comes to $1253 instead of $1791
Im in Canada. Manitoba if you are considering co2 i do have a 20lb tank and autopilot co2 controller im getting rid of. Its the 8200. Also getting rid of my hydro system if you want to go that route. No cost for that except shipping if you like

Im in Canada. Manitoba if you are considering co2 i do have a 20lb tank and autopilot co2 controller im getting rid of. Its the 8200. Also getting rid of my hydro system if you want to go that route. No cost for that except shipping if you like
I appreciate that. I'm not considering CO2 at the moment, but in the future I might consider. Is the Diablo X powerful enough to supplement my plants with CO2?

Also. Remember that thing you mentioned about silica? About it hardening up buds? Would that have any sort of effect on the buds of a sativa plant?

I appreciate that. I'm not considering CO2 at the moment, but in the future I might consider. Is the Diablo X powerful enough to supplement my plants with CO2?

Also. Remember that thing you mentioned about silica? About it hardening up buds? Would that have any sort of effect on the buds of a sativa plant?
Yeah that light is meant to be used with co2 as many these days are.

Yes silica will affect all tissue of the plants including buds

I realize you're pretty set on the Diablo X ... If I could persuade you to at least look into some of the higher end bar lights, I think you'll find "Photontek" makes a few bar lights that would better serve you if you're also set on using a tent.

Here's my opinion on this ... the Quantum Board design of the Scorpion Diablo X is best suited for growing in an open room with higher ceilings ... like 8' of more. The bar lights are better suited for tent applications where the light is evenly distributed by the bar spacing. The spacing also allows the heat from the light to rise up where your carbon filter system can then exhaust the heat. A large quantum board design (even with those cut-outs) trap a lot of the heat between the plants and the big chunk of aluminum that your LEDs are installed on.

At the end of the day, you CAN successfully use a Scorpion Diablo in a tent but you'll want to think through how you're going to get rid of the heat ... especially what is trapped at the plant's level. Your plants happy temperature for an indoor grow under LEDs without CO2 is about 82F +/- 2F ... (80-84F).

Edit: Links to a couple of lights by Photontek

There is more to growing than a light, the best lights may help the best growers but less experienced growers won't be able to get the most out of the light.

Get set up with good equipment to control your environment & a light that will cover your 4x4. Spiderfarmer has an SE5000 that would do just fine as an example at 1/2 or less the price, see what it can do then move on up after a few years if needed.

A good grower can get more out of a refrigerator light than a new grower with a top model light...well maybe a hedge there but still its the grower not the light.

I had the hlg 600 respect in my 5x5 at first to much heat so out it went back in the box. Then installed the Photonteck 600 smooth sailing after that.
Thanks for this @OLDCRO ... It's what I would expect. I ran a 450w Spiderfarmer board for 1 run and then gave it to my son in law. It was a contest gift so I didn't have any money in it ... It was a light I didn't need that didn't match the performance of the lights I already had so I passed it on to someone who could use it.

I had the hlg 600 respect in my 5x5 at first to much heat so out it went back in the box. Then installed the Photonteck 600 smooth sailing after that.
Too much heat???? up north here??? I need all the heat I can get except for our 2 months of summer. I'm already using my heater to get to 78-80f lights on. I'm border line wanting my hps back through winter months. I think I'd be ahead on electrical costs with a 1000w hps. rather than 900 w led's and a 1200w heater

Too much heat???? up north here??? I need all the heat I can get except for our 2 months of summer. I'm already using my heater to get to 78-80f lights on. I'm border line wanting my hps back through winter months. I think I'd be ahead on electrical costs with a 1000w hps. rather than 900 w led's and a 1200w heater
My basement is already heated. Variables like that make a difference. If heat is needed, then yes, the Diablo X producing that heat might be welcome for some growers ... As for adding HPS to your LEDs for heat (and extra red) ... some people do. It's not unheard of.

My basement is already heated. Variables like that make a difference, if heat is needed, then yes, the Diablo X producing that heat might be welcome for some growers ... As for adding HPS to your LEDs for heat (and extra red) ... some people do. It's not unheard of.
I'm adding far reds through this grow so far from 2 weeks old they have 15 min far reds at lights out. I think I should shut it off through the stretch as it adds a lot of height but I love what it does to the leaves. They get big and wide and healthier than any I've had before adding reds.

My 5th run with them, using them different ways. I was going for the Emerson effect and having them finish faster but I'm not sure it was effective as they went 10 weeks anyways but I'm not giving up on it,

My basement is already heated. Variables like that make a difference. If heat is needed, then yes, the Diablo X producing that heat might be welcome for some growers ... As for adding HPS to your LEDs for heat (and extra red) ... some people do. It's not unheard of.
I have heat as well but 70f isn't 78f they need. 70f they don't go through water fast enough and bad things happen

I'm adding far reds through this grow so far from 2 weeks old they have 15 min far reds at lights out. I think I should shut it off through the stretch as it adds a lot of height but I love what it does to the leaves. They get big and wide and healthier than any I've had before adding reds.

My 5th run with them, using them different ways. I was going for the Emerson effect and having them finish faster but I'm not sure it was effective as they went 10 weeks anyways but I'm not giving up on it,
I think I will do the far red right at lights off this run too. Last time I used them during lights on, but at a greater distance to offer less intensity.

Not sure if I should do short, periodic bursts, or just the one cycle right at lights off

I'll be experimenting with extra reds and trying to mimic the emerson effect with my fall grow. I currently have 4 plants started from which I will take cuttings for clones here in a few weeks. My reds have 660 nm and 730 nm chips.

I've run these lights before through the entire flower cycle. I haven't made my mind up just yet but I may just run the reds 10 minutes before lights on through to 10 minutes afterwards. These will be quick flip clones in 2 gallon bags ... there will be plenty of room for stretching since I'll only veg a week or so before running 12/12

Bar lights in a tent for sure. I have COB style boards much like the light you want and they work fine but I have hot spots that I'd like to get rid of or at least diminish. Bar lights will give me a much better edge to edge spread than the COB style boards. The Diablo is a great light but, as mentioned, in the wrong hands can turn into a disaster.

I use Bestva for my lighting but I also like ViparSpectras Pro model lights.

Just an FYI but the way you calculate the power you need in your tent is to multiply the square footage of your tent by 35w and 55w. In a 4 x 4 you have 16 sq/ft. 35 x 16 = 560w. 55 x 16 = 880w. Minimum light power 560w. Maximum light power 880w.

Most grow lights will have an adequate light spectrum for you to grow to harvest. I wouldn't be worried about buying the best right now. Improve your grow chops first then bring in the big guns.

Bar lights in a tent for sure. I have COB style boards much like the light you want and they work fine but I have hot spots that I'd like to get rid of or at least diminish. Bar lights will give me a much better edge to edge spread than the COB style boards. The Diablo is a great light but, as mentioned, in the wrong hands can turn into a disaster.

I use Bestva for my lighting but I also like ViparSpectras Pro model lights.

Just an FYI but the way you calculate the power you need in your tent is to multiply the square footage of your tent by 35w and 55w. In a 4 x 4 you have 16 sq/ft. 35 x 16 = 560w. 55 x 16 = 880w. Minimum light power 560w. Maximum light power 880w.

Most grow lights will have an adequate light spectrum for you to grow to harvest. I wouldn't be worried about buying the best right now. Improve your grow chops first then bring in the big guns.
I have to honestly disagree. IMO 20-30w is plenty without co2.

The difference is COB leds are hardly used anymore and they need a further distance because of hot spots leading to wasted wattage. Also the efficiency has improved drastically over the last 20years when that calculation was used. Its an outdated parameter. Places like Spiderfarmer, mars still say this but they just want you to spend more money and often just regurgitate whatever sells more for them.

Unless you are using co2 there really is no need for more than 30w/sqft. With the new LED’s on the market.

I have used 480w to 720w for a 4x4 all with co2 the only one i could max is the 480w with a dialed in grow with a higher hanging height

I agree with this site.

Last edited:
I think I will do the far red right at lights off this run too. Last time I used them during lights on, but at a greater distance to offer less intensity.

Not sure if I should do short, periodic bursts, or just the one cycle right at lights off
I'll be experimenting with extra reds and trying to mimic the emerson effect with my fall grow. I currently have 4 plants started from which I will take cuttings for clones here in a few weeks. My reds have 660 nm and 730 nm chips.

I've run these lights before through the entire flower cycle. I haven't made my mind up just yet but I may just run the reds 10 minutes before lights on through to 10 minutes afterwards. These will be quick flip clones in 2 gallon bags ... there will be plenty of room for stretching since I'll only veg a week or so before running 12/12
I've been playing with extended hours in flower while using the reds at 15 min lights out. I started them at 12/12 increased to 12.5/11.5 at 2 weeks then increased again to 13/11 trying to finish faster. Not sure I've had success with that but I'll try again after they set into flower. I finished one batch at 14/10 with 60% light the last week with no noticeable changes either....I'll keep playing with them....if I could find a purpose for blues I'd use them too...lol

Back
Top Bottom