New Grower, Gifted a Clone, Potted Outdoor - need advice, thanks!

Annaresti

Stoned Scientist
Reaction score
Hello,

First off, Thank you for being a forum that is welcoming of noobs.

I am seeking the collective wisdom as I have planted a clone in a fabric pot, outdoor. I was gifted the clone - so i'm not sure how old it was when I got it. I planted it in the pot on June 20 and let it get used to outdoors, now it looks pretty happy. As a fan of cali-green on youtube, I'm trying to do living organics.

It looks like it might have been topped once or twice while it was a clone, but I can't tell. It's doing well and I think I have a good grasp on watering and feeding (but I'm not sure). I'm not expecting any mind blowing results, but I hope to keep it alive and get some flower.

I don't know what to do in terms of pruning or topping - or really anything.

I've been using neem oil once a week and ran out of B.T so I need to get some more to do that once a week (Unless people advise spinosad?) My water when it gets dry every 2-3 days, depending on the heat, try not to allow runoff. Spray it once in a while with see weed extract. Watered with compost tea twice now. I'm in northern California.

This strain is called "Rank Bull" which i've never heard of (Maybe a big bull cross?)

Please check photo. Any advice that you think will be helpful is most welcome. Sorry i'm all over the place.

- Annaresti

1000007272.jpg1000007273.jpg

Bacillus Thuringiensis (B.t.). That's the one I use for caterpillars. And then neem is for mites and aphids and the like.

I am mostly trying to do it for preventative measures, parts of my garden have aphids, and the squashes have had powdery mold. I feel like i've gotten them both under control, but I don't want to have to do that for this lady. The ganja plant is not right next to them, but in the same vicinity.

I figured that there was no real foliar pest management after flower, so it's good to remember that.

I've heard good things about potassium salts in integrated pest management and oil's of peppermint, thyme and clove. I love diametatious earth for my other plants, so I'll put that on the topsoil.
Powdered cayenne pepper helps keep some bugs and 4 legged pests away. From mice to raccoons. Just growing one seems to have helped keep things away. That or it’s been our luckiest year so far.

Watch around cucumbers or similar plants. They tend to absorb things and shouldn’t be sprayed with some things.

Looks good to me. Keep up adjusting watering and feeding as needed because demands will increase as the plant get bigger.

My opinion is an Outdoor plant really doesn’t need pruning at all.

Topping is also not necessary because the light get to the plant all over not just from directly above.

So in short i think you are doing everything right and no need to change anything yet. It may be tempting to try more but honestly less is more
100%

Bacillus Thuringiensis (B.t.). That's the one I use for caterpillars. And then neem is for mites and aphids and the like.

I am mostly trying to do it for preventative measures, parts of my garden have aphids, and the squashes have had powdery mold. I feel like i've gotten them both under control, but I don't want to have to do that for this lady. The ganja plant is not right next to them, but in the same vicinity.

I figured that there was no real foliar pest management after flower, so it's good to remember that.

I've heard good things about potassium salts in integrated pest management and oil's of peppermint, thyme and clove. I love diametatious earth for my other plants, so I'll put that on the topsoil.
Do not forget the organic/fancy/whatever it is caterpillar Monterey BT or similar needed towards the end of flower or the caterpillars will decimate all your hard work💯. The moths especially like to lay eggs on the biggest buds and then once the eggs hatch the baby caterpillars will eat their way through the center of the buds a ruin them.

Good luck bud! Looks great so far!

Peace

Cool areas like a basement work well for drying/curing. You don't have much control over drying environment outside, but with that said, many people have done it successfully. You want a cool area preferably no warmer than 70f with an RH around 60 for best results.
The old school way for drying lots of herbs besides cannabis using paper bags in a dark cool place is a great option for a beginner and even a seasoned vet that doesn’t have the equipment to keep the dry area correct. It has been used since paper bags were invented and will help avoid potential problems IMO.

Yes, ok ...
Bacillus ... I use Southern Ag's Garden Friendly Fungicide up until I notice the start of flowering. It works best as a preventative I think.

So far, you're doing everything as I would so keep up the good work.

The old school way for drying lots of herbs besides cannabis using paper bags in a dark cool place is a great option for a beginner and even a seasoned vet that doesn’t have the equipment to keep the dry area correct. It has been used since paper bags were invented and will help avoid potential problems IMO.
I've used paper bags before to slow down the speed of drying ... however lucky for me, there's a closet underneath the basement stairs that stays within reasonable temp and RH year round. I don't have to use paper bags anymore .... However, it's a good idea for those who need them.

Oldest leaves will be the first to get used up by the plant and fall off.
Have you been feeding? If so what's in your feed?
If not, might be time for some additional food 👍🏻

As Mr @GoodShit97 stated, lower leaves will release its nitrogen to the rest of the plant first. They yellow and then die off and fall off the plant. To an extent this is normal because as a (flowering) plant matures, it goes through a process called senescence ... but you're not even into flowering yet so yes, its time to feed your plant.

Here's where full blown organics becomes a challenge. Your soil is beginning to run low on nitrogen and other essential nutrients. This probably actually means it's in the mix but not in a readily useable form for uptake. You have 2 options:

1) Add something like "Recharge" in a super aerated tea (about a 24 hr heavily oxygenated brew). The microbes help break down the nutrients in the soil into plant useable form. This is a process that can take a few days.

or

2) Use something like General Hydroponics "Flora Series" - (Flora Grow, Flora Micro, and Flora Bloom) or something similar ... these nutrient salts are already in "ready to uptake" form and your plant will be able to begin to use the nutrients right after the feed.

Both methods will work. It is hard to grow a 100% organic plant unless you have experience in organic gardening. In my eyes, there's nothing wrong in rectifying nutrient imbalances with a round or 2 of a salts based feeding program.

Oldest leaves will be the first to get used up by the plant and fall off.
Have you been feeding? If so what's in your feed?
If not, might be time for some additional food 👍🏻
When I planted, I used potting soil mixed in with several kinds of organic fertilizer. Since the start, i've been trying to do worm tea and foliar sprays etc. I'll try a tea, vermistera tea + Microlife tea has some readily available nutrients, so I'll include that. But i might get some General Hydroponics Flora to have on hand in case. Thanks!

When I planted, I used potting soil mixed in with several kinds of organic fertilizer. Since the start, i've been trying to do worm tea and foliar sprays etc. I'll try a tea, vermistera tea + Microlife tea has some readily available nutrients, so I'll include that. But i might get some General Hydroponics Flora to have on hand in case. Thanks!

I mentioned GH flora series because its reasonably priced and because I have had excellent results from the product. My grows have become more of a hybrid cross between organic gardening and "salts based." What I mean by that is I mix everything up like you did in advance, but here's the most important part of it ... I allow the mix to "cook." One of the all time best soil mix recipe comes from "SubCool," (You can find it here: https://budbuilders.org/threads/subcool-super-soil-mix.164/) but it takes about a month for it to become active. I also start regular feeding with GH flora at the first sign of nutrient issues. In my area it's running from around $9 to $13 a quart depending on which bottle you're purchasing.

I'm going to guess that even though your choices in Organic Amendments were spot on but with the clone being a gift, your soil mix didn't have the chance to cook. I chose the product "Recharge" by a company called "Real Growers" (https://www.realgrowers.com/product/recharge/) because the microbes in the mix were specifically chosen to act in symbiosis with the plant root system and to aid in nutrition uptake by the plant. It's not the only method to achieve this, and its not the only product on the market that reacts with the plant in this way. It's just the one I like the best. I always keep some in my "grower's toolbox". I'm sure other growers will chime in with what they have used and what works for them.

A clone left to cycle/flower can be revegged later.
It is not always the prettiest or fastest but some harvest and reveg the very same plant for repeated grows.
I like to keep my clones in veg until I want to flower them. It is just easier if you have the space/place for them.
A little 2x4 tent is perfect for vegging. I would want bigger if I was flowering in it.

You can clone your clone. I would be concerned about moving an outdoor plant indoors though. It doesn't mean it can't be done. It means there's risks involved in what you might be bringing indoors (pests) from the outside.
Thanks. I mostly needed to clean up afew branches that were crowding and hate to toss them into the compost when i know they can clone.

I really want to get into indoor grows, but it's a whole new rabbit hole!

A clone left to cycle/flower can be revegged later.
It is not always the prettiest or fastest but some harvest and reveg the very same plant for repeated grows.
I like to keep my clones in veg until I want to flower them. It is just easier if you have the space/place for them.
A little 2x4 tent is perfect for vegging. I would want bigger if I was flowering in it.
Thanks. I'm thinking about getting a tent. Do folks sell old equipment here?

Some of us do, the problem is shipping rates have gotten sooo high it's almost cheaper to buy a new tent with free shipping then it is for you to cover just the shipping on a free tent
I bet to ship you my old 4x4 it would cost 100 bucks or more because of it being oversized

Yeah we have a buy/sell/trade page. I don't know if there are any tents in it but you can make a post looking for one.

What size tent were you thinking of purchasing? When buying a tent, you usually get what you pay for. The cheapest tents might have pin hole light leaks out of the box. It will also have lighter weight fabric, smaller diameter poles and sometimes a very cheap zipper. A cheap tent does have its uses though. If its in a basement where the lights are off during the plant's night time, a cheap tent with pin hole light leaks is still more than adequate. In that case, I would be more concerned about the zipper. If you're placing it in a high traffic area where light leaks would hurt the crop, you'd be better off paying a bit more and purchasing something made by AC Infinity or similar.

Tell us more about the area you would like to put your tent in and we will have more answers for you.

What size tent were you thinking of purchasing? When buying a tent, you usually get what you pay for. The cheapest tents might have pin hole light leaks out of the box. It will also have lighter weight fabric, smaller diameter poles and sometimes a very cheap zipper. A cheap tent does have its uses though. If its in a basement where the lights are off during the plant's night time, a cheap tent with pin hole light leaks is still more than adequate. In that case, I would be more concerned about the zipper. If you're placing it in a high traffic area where light leaks would hurt the crop, you'd be better off paying a bit more and purchasing something made by AC Infinity or similar.

Tell us more about the area you would like to put your tent in and we will have more answers for you.
Not sure. Still thinking. Thanks folks for the link, I'll keep learning and looking.

Thanks, that's good to know as i don't know much about LST or any other training. Now, LSD... anyhow, thanks Grampa!

She seems happy! Just top dressed a little 4-4-4 and worm castings and a compost tea with vermistera tea, microlife biomatrix, and seaweed extract. So far so good.
Someone say LSD

Flower. Sulfur treatments, peroxide, and few others

Or "organic" route like a mix of herbs, (thyme, rose and such)

Update!

She looks happy. When in flower should i stop neem/bt/mite spray?

Anything i should be looking for?

View attachment 69354

Neem oil is considered a no-no during flower. It will affect the way your finished flowers will taste. Maybe @GoodShit97 can expand on his outdoor treatments during flowering. However, industry wide, the "rule" is pretty hard and fast ... don't spray anything on maturing buds.

Back
Top Bottom