New light ideas.

Ikilledit

Puff Paladin
Reaction score
So this year I’m looking to get a new light. I’m looking for something 800 watts to 1000 watts. 5x5 veg 4x4 flower. I’ve been looking at a few like Philips, HLG, Gavita or a Lumatek Zeus. Also Mars Hydro. Looking for a rail style. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m probably going to run me a new line because I want to go 240 volts also.

I just installed my 2 MH FC 8000 into my room.
I only use them for flower. Puts out more heat than my TSL2000 boards and figure that plants don't need that much in veg?
Can't say I would recommend MH but I have used their lights for over 5 years on my reef tank and they have been very good there.
That is why I chose them for the room. Only second time using the 8000's.

The raging kush is hot and next I would give California Light Works a good look.
Bandit is running the 1000 from CLW.
We got 3 good growers here running the CLWs. Bandit, Stoney, and Cool Beans.
Two good growers running the Raging Kush. Moe, and Sweet Leaf Grow.
Both are lights I have looked at.

I only use them for flower. Puts out more heat than my TSL2000 boards and figure that plants don't need that much in veg?
Can't say I would recommend MH but I have used their lights for over 5 years on my reef tank and they have been very good there.

The raging kush is hot and next I would give California Light Works a good look.
Mystic is running the raging kush as well!
I think lol.

I’ve got these 3 MH TSW’s 2000 and 2 Bloom Pros Xp 4000. Just 2 dang many hanging lights. I have to rehang and adjust them all through my grows and I’m over it. I’d like to get 2 but it all comes down to price.

What's the limit on your budget?
You can get into something top of the line at around $1000 and something that will do well but maybe not top shelf will be in the $500-$700 range.

Brands like CLW, Raging Kush, Fluence, and Phlizon are top shelf lights. Each unique from everything else and high performance.

You'll have to dig deep on stats but looking close at Gavita, HLG, Growers Choice, and Iluminar, they're all very similar if not the same but under a different brand then weigh the pricing between them to choose.

The next tier in lights would be something from Kind. Kinda middle grade. Not elite performance but also not garbage you'll regret buying unless you go with something too small for the space.

Then after that you got the Mars and Vipers of the world and they'll save on money up front and do well but also give you wanderlust wanting to upgrade later.

If you want high end without the cost, ebay used lights are a really good option.
Two of my CLW were bought used and they perform just as good as the one I bought new and I saved about $500 buying used.
If you do go this route, be patient for the right score and come back here for second and third opinions on the deal you're looking at. We love talking lights around here ;)

Thanx some great choices to look into. The CLW spectruamax Vertical 1000 looks nice.

What's the limit on your budget?
You can get into something top of the line at around $1000 and something that will do well but maybe not top shelf will be in the $500-$700 range.

Brands like CLW, Raging Kush, Fluence, and Phlizon are top shelf lights. Each unique from everything else and high performance.

You'll have to dig deep on stats but looking close at Gavita, HLG, Growers Choice, and Iluminar, they're all very similar if not the same but under a different brand then weigh the pricing between them to choose.

The next tier in lights would be something from Kind. Kinda middle grade. Not elite performance but also not garbage you'll regret buying unless you go with something too small for the space.

Then after that you got the Mars and Vipers of the world and they'll save on money up front and do well but also give you wanderlust wanting to upgrade later.

If you want high end without the cost, ebay used lights are a really good option.
Two of my CLW were bought used and they perform just as good as the one I bought new and I saved about $500 buying used.
If you do go this route, be patient for the right score and come back here for second and third opinions on the deal you're looking at. We love talking lights around here ;)
Awesome thanx. And yeah I’m around $1000 plus tax of course. I definitely want something top of the line but not overly expensive. Never thought of Ebay but I will be looking now. I would like to have something for all growth stages tho.

Thanx some great choices to look into. The CLW spectruamax Vertical 1000 looks nice.

It runs hot Brother. Great light but if you do go with it, the heat output is very similar to 1000watt HPS.
I'm not sure it's a good light for a tent because of the heat unless you have AC.
Right now mine is off and I need a heater in my room but I guarantee when I turn it back on I won't be needing the heater

It runs hot Brother. Great light but if you do go with it, the heat output is very similar to 1000watt HPS.
I'm not sure it's a good light for a tent because of the heat unless you have AC.
Right now mine is off and I need a heater in my room but I guarantee when I turn it back on I won't be needing the heater
I don’t have a tent. Just an upstairs bedroom. If it gets too hot up here I place a fan in the attic entry in the ceiling to pull out the heat. I only grow from October until late may. Because those are our coldest months. And your right my lights do most of the heating so no heaters unless it hits below 20 degrees.

Hot isn’t the word. Roasting is more like it. The CLW runs 3065 btu 104 degree operating temp. The raging Kush ll isn’t that far behind less BTU ‘s but runs at 104 degrees also. I like the CLW Vertical 1000 but I also like the 120’ optics of the Kush.

So this year I’m looking to get a new light. I’m looking for something 800 watts to 1000 watts. 5x5 veg 4x4 flower. I’ve been looking at a few like Philips, HLG, Gavita or a Lumatek Zeus. Also Mars Hydro. Looking for a rail style. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m probably going to run me a new line because I want to go 240 volts also.
I’ve been running the lumatek zeus pro 2.7 for a few years now in flower..great light and no issues at all..checkout the buds in my grow or media photos

I run a Kind X750 and have been happy with the performance. Doesn’t have the bells and whistles of some of the high end ones but is full spectrum and allows you to adjust the intensity of the white and red individually

The photontek is the sister company to lumatek ..yeah they are pricey you don’t need anymore than 630 watts really in a 5x5.I’m in that size but not using a ft at the front for equipment.heater fans etc.

I have two Grower's Choice ROI-E720's. They will provide up to 800w each if using the lighting controller. I also have a 640 W NanoLux foldable unit. I paid about $850 each for the grower's choice. I paid $350 for the NanoLux on a black friday special 2 years ago. The grower's choice gives me more options with my lighting ... for example, I still have enough light if I hang them high in the tent. The NanoLux is more than adequate for a 4 x 4 to 5 x 5 at distances from the plants up to 18". However, you can't tell which light I used once everything is harvested, dried and cured.

What would I choose? Well that depends on how I am growing a particular run ... am I using a scrog net or am I allowing them to grow tall without and weaving or bending? That's really where your question lies ... how do you intend to use the light? If you are after the biggest bang for your buck, opt for the higher wattage because you can use it in a wider variety of grow situations. If its purely purchased based on budget ... 640 Watts of good quality lighting is enough for 25 ft square spaces.

Bottom line, Grower's Choice is a premium priced light. It's great but there are cheaper options out there. Instead, look at the components used in the light. Samsung chips are good but are not the only good ones out there. Osram is another great chip. I'd shop components used in my next light over a "brand name." Don't fall for the marketing gimmick that says higher output more expensive lights are better. For example, most people would not want to use a Photontek/Lumatek 1000w fixture in a 5 x 5 tent. It would fry the plants under it.

P.S. Many people here love Phlizon due to their price vs performance ratio. On the other hand, I'm of an opinion that some brands a severly over-priced (Grower's choice is one of them) so like most things these days ... do your own research and choose your next light based on what you're looking for instead of relying on the advice of a salesman at your local grow store who is going to want to push you into the higher priced unit. Today, I'd be far less likely to purchase the high priced Grower's Choice unit. When I bought those, the budget options were far slimmer than they are today. Phlizon or similar units have enough power at half the price of the more expensive units.

I have two Grower's Choice ROI-E720's. They will provide up to 800w each if using the lighting controller. I also have a 640 W NanoLux foldable unit. I paid about $850 each for the grower's choice. I paid $350 for the NanoLux on a black friday special 2 years ago. The grower's choice gives me more options with my lighting ... for example, I still have enough light if I hang them high in the tent. The NanoLux is more than adequate for a 4 x 4 to 5 x 5 at distances from the plants up to 18". However, you can't tell which light I used once everything is harvested, dried and cured.

What would I choose? Well that depends on how I am growing a particular run ... am I using a scrog net or am I allowing them to grow tall without and weaving or bending? That's really where your question lies ... how do you intend to use the light? If you are after the biggest bang for your buck, opt for the higher wattage because you can use it in a wider variety of grow situations. If its purely purchased based on budget ... 640 Watts of good quality lighting is enough for 25 ft square spaces.

Bottom line, Grower's Choice is a premium priced light. It's great but there are cheaper options out there. Instead, look at the components used in the light. Samsung chips are good but are not the only good ones out there. Osram is another great chip. I'd shop components used in my next light over a "brand name." Don't fall for the marketing gimmick that says higher output more expensive lights are better. For example, most people would not want to use a Photontek/Lumatek 1000w fixture in a 5 x 5 tent. It would fry the plants under it.

P.S. Many people here love Phlizon due to their price vs performance ratio. On the other hand, I'm of an opinion that some brands a severly over-priced (Grower's choice is one of them) so like most things these days ... do your own research and choose your next light based on what you're looking for instead of relying on the advice of a salesman at your local grow store who is going to want to push you into the higher priced unit. Today, I'd be far less likely to purchase the high priced Grower's Choice unit. When I bought those, the budget options were far slimmer than they are today. Phlizon or similar units have enough power at half the price of the more expensive units.
Thanx for all the great info. I have looked at the Philzon FD8000. No tent for me. I have 8’ ceilings and a 12x12 space. Minus a walking area. So 10x12. And No salesman hoopla for me. All my research is here and at the websites. Yeah the top shelf lights are nice if you need 1. But the way I’m looking at sq feet I may need 3. Kinda why I’m looking for something that doesn’t lose light intensity on the sides. Or at certain heights. I hang my lights a bit higher than manufacturers recommendations.

Thanx for all the great info. I have looked at the Philzon FD8000. No tent for me. I have 8’ ceilings and a 12x12 space. Minus a walking area. So 10x12. And No salesman hoopla for me. All my research is here and at the websites. Yeah the top shelf lights are nice if you need 1. But the way I’m looking at sq feet I may need 3. Kinda why I’m looking for something that doesn’t lose light intensity on the sides. Or at certain heights. I hang my lights a bit higher than manufacturers recommendations.
I have 2 quantum boards from Phlizon, theyve been good to me so far.
Theyre just hot

I have 2 quantum boards from Phlizon, theyve been good to me so far.
Theyre just hot

All quantum boards will be hotter than a bar style light ... unless you purchase something like the HLG Diablo line. Unfortunately, HLG Diablo boards in the watt range to light a 4 x 4 to 5 x 5 will run you about $1000 +/- a bit depending on where you shop.

Edit: @Ikilledit - Phlizon has some excellent priced bar lights ... for example: https://www.amazon.com/Phlizon-Cove...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

I’ve seen raging kush mentioned a few times.

I run them and like them.

I would not recommend them at this time. They require an app to make the adjustable spectrum work and @SweetLeafGrow never got his working afaik.

Also they restructured/ changed hands last year after running the company into the ground. Enough there to make me nervous.

I’ve seen raging kush mentioned a few times.

I run them and like them.

I would not recommend them at this time. They require an app to make the adjustable spectrum work and @SweetLeafGrow never got his working afaik.

Also they restructured/ changed hands last year after running the company into the ground. Enough there to make me nervous.
Thanx for the heads up.

On the optics. Is this necessary or is it like a lens on a headlight or a magnifier of sorts.?
Think of optics like the f stop on a camera. You can make the photons converge in a specific zone to keep the ppfd focused on a specific band in the canopy rather than spraying them everywhere. It’s an efficiency thing.

I’m running hlg’s on 220 with groflux controllers. I really like them.

I should add that running your lights on a 220 versus 110 circuit will make them run cooler since you will be drawing half the amperage of a 110 powered light.

I’m running hlg’s on 220 with groflux controllers. I really like them.
@Ikilledit I didn't catch the part earlier about running 220V. Are you setting up a commercial grow? I guess I'd like to know more about your plans ... For a small home based grow using 1 or 2 lights, there's no real benefit to justify the extra expense. My answer changes if you are looking at running multiple lights on the same circuit.

I should add that running your lights on a 220 versus 110 circuit will make them run cooler since you will be drawing half the amperage of a 110 powered light.
That's really not true. When you double the voltage, you use half the amps. The circuit to the light may run cooler, but 640 watts is still 640 watts and the light fixture temperature remains the same. For one light, it's a big expense for no realistic amount of energy saved.

That's really not true. When you double the voltage, you use half the amps. The circuit to the light may run cooler, but 640 watts is still 640 watts and the light fixture temperature remains the same. For one light, it's a big expense for no realistic amount of energy saved.
Makes the ballast cooler with less amperage

@Ikilledit I didn't catch the part earlier about running 220V. Are you setting up a commercial grow? I guess I'd like to know more about your plans ... For a small home based grow using 1 or 2 lights, there's no real benefit to justify the extra expense. My answer changes if you are looking at running multiple lights on the same circuit.
I thought about it just to relieve the wall outlets. But when I ran the electrical I only put 3 receptacles per home run. Plus they’re on 20 amp breakers. I used 12/2 with ground so they should be good. The reason I thought about going 240 was so I could just run a line and have a ceiling plug and eliminate the extension cords. But I could do that with a single pole I could just run a dedicated circuit for 2 lights on a 20 amp breaker.

Back
Top Bottom