New nematode product - not working out

MysticEpipedon

Herb Hitman
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
I imagine many of you have tried beneficial nematodes for fungus gnats and/or thrips. I have had good success with the Sf species, purchased from Arbico Organics.

I just wanted to mention here a total failure of a new method of packaging these nematodes. Nematode Beads:

These things supposedly have a long shelf life and don't need to be refrigerated.

I used them, as directed, on June 6th. At this point, the fungus gnat population in my grow has exploded. The fuckers are all over the place -- getting caught in sticky trichs. A bit of a population explosion before a fast drop in population is typical, because to establish nematodes in soil, the soil is kept moist for several days to a week, which excites the fungus gnats.

Anyway, let the buyer beware. At this point after an application, the fungus gnat population should be near zero. I just sent for another pack of the normally packaged, non-bead nematodes, from a different vendor.

I imagine many of you have tried beneficial nematodes for fungus gnats and/or thrips. I have had good success with the Sf species, purchased from Arbico Organics.

I just wanted to mention here a total failure of a new method of packaging these nematodes. Nematode Beads:

These things supposedly have a long shelf life and don't need to be refrigerated.

I used them, as directed, on June 6th. At this point, the fungus gnat population in my grow has exploded. The fuckers are all over the place -- getting caught in sticky trichs. A bit of a population explosion before a fast drop in population is typical, because to establish nematodes in soil, the soil is kept moist for several days to a week, which excites the fungus gnats.

Anyway, let the buyer beware. At this point after an application, the fungus gnat population should be near zero. I just sent for another pack of the normally packaged, non-bead nematodes, from a different vendor.

When I grew in coco, gnats and whiteflies seemed to come with the territory and infestations would be horrendous.
Only thing that was 100% was predatory nematodes and they could knock down an infestation inside of a week.

I've always understood these guys were best bought local and if they didn't come out of a fridge it would be wise to pass so that's what I always bought. Can't remember the brand though it's been so long.
I've never even heard of them being in beads

When I grew in coco, gnats and whiteflies seemed to come with the territory and infestations would be horrendous.
Only thing that was 100% was predatory nematodes and they could knock down an infestation inside of a week.

I've always understood these guys were best bought local and if they didn't come out of a fridge it would be wise to pass so that's what I always bought. Can't remember the brand though it's been so long.
I've never even heard of them being in beads
The beads are new. I use nematodes almost every grow and I never saw these before. I won't be trying them again. Depending on how my new source works out, I might not be a customer of Arbico again.

I have used "Rove Beetles" from build-a-soil. They eliminated hemp russet mite eggs for me in my greenhouse! I highly suggest using those things. I released 100 and in a few days there were thousands of them! I still have some bugs and still spray mineral oil (Pure Spray from general Hydroponics) but those things are awesome. When you are outside bugs just find there way into my greenhouse. But so do mantis, lady bugs, frogs and lizzards. Nature can balance things out.

BTW -- I ordered some Sf nematodes and minute pirate bugs from Nature's Good Guys on Sunday night, they arrived yesterday at about 10:00 AM. I applied the nematodes this morning. I'll let you know if they were viable in another week or two.

Back
Top Bottom