questions about cloning this go around

budsofmadison

Puff Paladin
Reaction score
when i go to top my photos this go around if i wait till the top is long enough could i clone what i top ? and what all would i need ?
would i need a separate tent for the clones or could i leave them in the tent with there mothers ?
i know i would need some root hormone, but what's the cheapest thing to media to grow them in
also if i take clones as soon as they root could i flip them along with there mothers
sorry for my bad english it's only my first language

Lower branches typically root easier, but the top will work. You need pick a method. Sounds like aero cloner is out, so you could go with rapid rooter plugs or rockwool with a dome, or stick them straight in water and leave them. The plugs and dome will be faster, but both would work. If your tent with mothers is on 18/6 light and you have the room, that will work. Regardless of method, you can flip after rooting if you want.

#1. You will need a separate place with at least 18 hours of low light. A 5 watt LED or a 30 watt CFL is ideal for cloning. I run 24/7 for clones
#2. You will need a tray of some sorts for the cuttings with a cover. Typically hydro stores sell a dome with 2 top covers that can be opened as the clones start to root to help lower the humidity and hard off the clones.
#3. As you mentioned you will need a rooting horome.
#4. You will need some sort of media. I use 2" rockwool cubes with about a 100 percent rooting success.

I would not suggest taking the tops for clones. I would in your case take the lower branches and use those to clone with.

when i go to top my photos this go around if i wait till the top is long enough could i clone what i top ? and what all would i need ?
would i need a separate tent for the clones or could i leave them in the tent with there mothers ?
i know i would need some root hormone, but what's the cheapest thing to media to grow them in
also if i take clones as soon as they root could i flip them along with there mothers
sorry for my bad english it's only my first language
I have used peat pellets, rapid rooters and straight coco they all work well. The biggest key is get the media tight to the stem and keeo them under the least light possible until they root.

I just use promix rooting powder like $4 a bottle.

You can absolutely use the tops for clones

Lower branches typically root easier, but the top will work. You need pick a method. Sounds like aero cloner is out, so you could go with rapid rooter plugs with a dome, or stick them straight in water and leave them. The plugs and dome will be faster, but both would work. If your tent with mothers is on 18/6 light and you have the room, that will work.
I was also told that many years ago and taking the lower branches is not ideal. I actually listed to a podcast and I want to say the guy worked for Botanicare and had access to lab grade grow rooms and he stated it does not matter.

Lower branches typically root easier, but the top will work. You need pick a method. Sounds like aero cloner is out, so you could go with rapid rooter plugs or rockwool with a dome, or stick them straight in water and leave them. The plugs and dome will be faster, but both would work. If your tent with mothers is on 18/6 light and you have the room, that will work. Regardless of method, you can flip after rooting if you want.
i was wondering if i could just stick them into water like a tomato cutting

#1. You will need a separate place with at least 18 hours of low light. A 5 watt LED or a 30 watt CFL is ideal for cloning. I run 24/7 for clones
#2. You will need a tray of some sorts for the cuttings with a cover. Typically hydro stores sell a dome with 2 top covers that can be opened as the clones start to root to help lower the humidity and hard off the clones.
#4. You will need some sort of media. I use 2" rockwool cubes with about a 100 percent rooting success.

I would not suggest taking the tops for clones. I would in your case take the lower branches and use those to clone with.
With the rooting hormone i have found 0 difference from tops to lower branches

i really have no more room for another tent not even a small tent

i really have no more room for another tent not even a small tent
Put them in the bathroom with the light on or aeven a desk lamp… they need the absolute minimum for light. They are free plants and can toss after if you don’t need… nine the less its good practice even if not used.

Put them in the bathroom with the light on or aeven a desk lamp… they need the absolute minimum for light. They are free plants and can toss after if you don’t need… nine the less its good practice even if not used.
put a cardboard box over them with a few holes in the lid in the mother tent

I said that because in my experience cutting the top off a good plant getting ready to flower really slows down the growth.
it wont be topped right before flower but more like 3 or 4 weeks before i would want to flip the mothers and the clones at the same time in the same tent

it wont be topped right before flower but more like 3 or 4 weeks before i would want to flip the mothers and the clones at the same time in the same tent
You could try it. Figure 2 weeks to root the clones. about 10 days of growth for the clones so I would plan accordingly. Meaning the clones will not be the same size as the moms.

You could try it. Figure 2 weeks to root the clones. about 10 days of growth for the clones so I would plan accordingly. Meaning the clones will not be the same size as the moms.
yes i do understand that im not sure if it would be worth it ya thinking ya could get an oz per clone like that if it worked ?

would the clones have to go in the same size pots the mothers are in ?
There are two many things that go into that for a simple answer. Plants rarely get root bound as many think. I have seen large plants grown in 1 gallon pots of coco. It is all a matter of what your skill set is and the time you want to put into the grow. The 1 gallon grow I knew about I want to say ended up with 12 or 14 waterings a day.

There are two many things that go into that for a simple answer. Plants rarely get root bound as many think. I have seen large plants grown in 1 gallon pots of coco. It is all a matter of what your skill set is and the time you want to put into the grow. The 1 gallon grow I knew about I want to say ended up with 12 or 14 waterings a day.
12 to 14 waterings a day hell man i can only water my 3 gallon pots with a 3/4 a gallon every 3 or 4 days

Back
Top Bottom