Smoke Alarm in the Tent

Probably be better off with two or just one 12KG.
I bought mine local and last time I was there I remember seeing a few more in the warehouse. Kinda surprised there's not more online. Widely available in the Middle East and Asia though?
I wonder if this is something that got caught up in buyouts of the indoor garden industry and production was cancelled? I know when Scotts/Miracle Grow, AKA Hawthorne, bought out major brands like General Hydroponics, Gavita, Sunlight Supply, Hydrofarm, and others we lost a lot of good products and those that are gone are getting harder to find, usually sitting on a back shelf of a shop somewhere collecting dust.
After a quick look through the Flame Defender looks like it would work the best. The one I posted is really for under a car hood and not so much in an open tent environment. Do you think a 2KG one would suffice?

After a quick look through the Flame Defender looks like it would work the best. The one I posted is really for under a car hood and not so much in an open tent environment. Do you think a 2KG one would suffice?
A 2KG is good for about a 4'x4' coverage area. Mine is in a 10'x10' room but I centrally located all electric connections on one wall and mounted the FD above it all.

I have a fused power strip connected to 2 lights and fan that pull around 5 amps total inside the tent. I would imagine you placed it where you did as that would be the most likely place you'll have the first flare up but in my case I highly doubt a 5 amp draw through a 15 amp fuse will amount to much as far as danger of a fire. I'm thinking it would be best to hang it in the middle over the lights as lights, for me, pose the biggest chance of catching fire.

Am I wrong?

I have a fused power strip connected to 2 lights and fan that pull around 5 amps total inside the tent. I would imagine you placed it where you did as that would be the most likely place you'll have the first flare up but in my case I highly doubt a 5 amp draw through a 15 amp fuse will amount to much as far as danger of a fire. I'm thinking it would be best to hang it in the middle over the lights as lights, for me, pose the biggest chance of catching fire.

Am I wrong?
Good chance I am wrong and didn’t hear the electrician correctly nor read electrical wiring for dummies correctly but I believe the fuse/breaker should be 20%+ smaller than potential max power draw by code.

This makes the breaker/fuse trip if a short circuit happens. So if 14gauge wire will potentially be fine if 20 amps are drawn you still put a 15amp breaker in the panel and if the user plugs 18 things in to the circuit drawing 16+ amps the breaker trips keeping the user safe because the user had 5 power strips plugged into 1 power strip.

Nobody should ever listen to my electrical advice because I only know enough to be dangerous đź’Ż

Whenever I've done a build I've tried to tally up the amps I'll be pulling for the entire operation up to the fax machines. I'll total it all up and rate my main box at least 30% higher so that I have enough headroom in case I missed something or I want to add something else on later. Same goes for wiring. Although it isn't necessary I usually go a grade up from what is "accepted". While copper is expensive that dude with the fish line and EMT bender is even more expensive. I'd rather err on the side of caution than kick myself for having to pay for an additional pull. Also, hot wire requires more amps to pull electricity through it.

When I built out sea containers I'd attach a 480v or 240v fused knife switch on the outside next to the mini split compressor depending on what the site had at hand. I'd split the source into 2 subs inside the container. One 240v sub and one 120v sub. High voltage stuff like HID lights and A/C on the 240v box and everything else on 120v.

Was it the right way to do it? Not sure but so far no one has died that I know of from the builds I did. I did have an electrician check it the first time I did it and he said it was correct but I'm not a licensed electrician to be able to agree with him.

Back
Top Bottom