This is Vertical Germination

Got some printing right now for giveaways at the 420 event CannaGranny is sponsoring. We are trying to bring in some new members, and probably get pretty high in the process.

Any other cool dodads you can think of for mostly non-growers at a weed festival?
sweet

id like to get one

@GrumpAzz .....Saw your posts in your thread and Steams thread so I wanted to drop in and clarify.
First off is if what you're doing is working great then I'm a big believer in not fixing what isn't broke and I never want to change how people do things.

However with the VG it really helps to use it as intended and that's why you had issues with it and over handle your sprouts so if you want to try using it again, this is how....

The VG is intended to equal the best germinating performance out there while also eliminating needs for any other seed starting mediums and containers. R&D has taken it to what we have today in a taller and much more user friendly version compared to it's early days and that was done for hydro needs

So in soil it eliminates the need for solo cups or starter pots going from the VG into a 1 or 2 gallon container to veg.
It also eliminates the need for seed starter mix soil as the sprout can go directly into any good fast draining enriched soil without burning up due to how it was germinated and allowing the tap to get 3-4 inches long. And it eliminates the need to use peat pucks

In hydro it eliminates the need for Root Riot plugs and small rockwool cubes allowing you to plant directly into hydroton for DWC or coco for drain to waste hydro as well as eliminating the need for starter trays and domes for all types of growing.

Basically no matter how you grow, the VG eliminates the needs and costs of every other type of propagation product and medium out there

This experiment with DWC was multi faceted to see if the VG could make a sprout suitable for DWC but it was also to test out potentials in 3D printed DWC systems and make the cross over into Hydro-organics.

When taking the sprout from the VG and into the net cup you basically cover the bottom of the pot with hydroton then hold the sprout into position while filling in more hydroton around it. There's no need for a root riot plug or rockwool cube here.
You want to make sure most of the root will be in water but also keep the upper half dry to prevent dampening off.
You'll want most of the netpot submerged but if it sits high it's not an issue since bubbling water will make it's way into the upper parts of the hydroton that is not submerged.
Here's the progression from sprout to veg to final destination going straight from VG into hydroton.
Any questions, fire away and I'll try to answer when I get free time🤘

IMG_5300.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5333.JPG

IMG_5351.JPG

IMG_5388.JPG

IMG_5422.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

@GrumpAzz .....Saw your posts in your thread and Steams thread so I wanted to drop in and clarify.
First off is if what you're doing is working great then I'm a big believer in not fixing what isn't broke and I never want to change how people do things.

However with the VG it really helps to use it as intended and that's why you had issues with it and over handle your sprouts so if you want to try using it again, this is how....

The VG is intended to equal the best germinating performance out there while also eliminating needs for any other seed starting mediums and containers. R&D has taken it to what we have today in a taller and much more user friendly version compared to it's early days and that was done for hydro needs

So in soil it eliminates the need for solo cups or starter pots going from the VG into a 1 or 2 gallon container to veg.
It also eliminates the need for seed starter mix soil as the sprout can go directly into any good fast draining enriched soil without burning up due to how it was germinated and allowing the tap to get 3-4 inches long. And it eliminates the need to use peat pucks

In hydro it eliminates the need for Root Riot plugs and small rockwool cubes allowing you to plant directly into hydroton for DWC or coco for drain to waste hydro as well as eliminating the need for starter trays and domes for all types of growing.

Basically no matter how you grow, the VG eliminates the needs and costs of every other type of propagation product and medium out there

This experiment with DWC was multi faceted to see if the VG could make a sprout suitable for DWC but it was also to test out potentials in 3D printed DWC systems and make the cross over into Hydro-organics.

When taking the sprout from the VG and into the net cup you basically cover the bottom of the pot with hydroton then hold the sprout into position while filling in more hydroton around it. There's no need for a root riot plug or rockwool cube here.
You want to make sure most of the root will be in water but also keep the upper half dry to prevent dampening off.
You'll want most of the netpot submerged but if it sits high it's not an issue since bubbling water will make it's way into the upper parts of the hydroton that is not submerged.
Here's the progression from sprout to veg to final destination going straight from VG into hydroton.
Any questions, fire away and I'll try to answer when I get free time🤘

View attachment 67123

View attachment 67124

View attachment 67125

View attachment 67126

View attachment 67127

View attachment 67128

View attachment 67129

View attachment 67130
Thanks Bandit. I remember watching your project 421, but it feels like forever ago. I can't remember who said it, but I was recommended the plugs or rockwool instead of directly into hydroton. I don't know who it was, but I've just been doing that since. As a newbie, I took in as much advice as I could and what stuck, stuck.

I didn't intend to slander the VG. It's a marvel of ingenuity that works absolutely great and you guys have continually improved on it, which is awesome. I may try a direct-to-hydroton transplant with my next grow.

Thanks for the writeup.

Thanks Bandit. I remember watching your project 421, but it feels like forever ago. I can't remember who said it, but I was recommended the plugs or rockwool instead of directly into hydroton. I don't know who it was, but I've just been doing that since. As a newbie, I took in as much advice as I could and what stuck, stuck.

I didn't intend to slander the VG. It's a marvel of ingenuity that works absolutely great and you guys have continually improved on it, which is awesome. I may try a direct-to-hydroton transplant with my next grow.

Thanks for the writeup.

All good brother and I didn't take it as slander at all. I've seen some funky things done with the VG like paper only on one side, no paper at all, planted too deep, etc and have realized I needed to have better instructions posted from the start.
But yeah man you can go straight into hydroton with a sprout just like you can with a bare root clone. Main thing is just keeping it moist.

Last edited:
But yeah man you can go straight into hydroton with a sprout just like you can with a bare root clone.
Nice. That would also allow me to control the depth of it as well. The plugs are nearly as tall as my 4" netpots are deep so whatever stretch they start with, I'm stuck with. I imagine you could just coil the root along the bottom layer of pebbles to achieve your desired height?

I got some new hydroton and maybe you could weigh in. You're a fart smeller. It's not so much hydroton as it is just small clay pebbles. They're not expanded like a rice puff, just smoothish, small and round. 3-5mm size. I ordered it after dealing with these small netpots and the limited hydroton that fits around the plugs (light leak worries). I've sorted the smallest pebbles out of my bag which is a pain. Seems like the new small ones would hold enough water on the surface with more surface area, but the expanded pebbles would "store" it better. Not sure if store is the right word.

See any reason why I shouldn't try it on the next grow? The smaller sized pebbles may also work better with the direct transfer from VG to Hydroton, holding it tighter with less air in the rootzone. What do you think?

I have a brand new bag of rapid-rooters but I may just go this route next round. I haven't tossed the VG yet, so thanks for chiming in bro.

Back
Top Bottom