Trying to help a friend

SpectrumFarms

Chronic Chemist
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
I’m stumped. Trying to help a friend diagnose his issues in coco. The tacoing is what’s got me stumped. The temps haven’t been above 75F the light is at 10% and at canopy the light level is at 9K lux and the light is about 28 inches above canopy.

IMG_6806.jpeg

that coco appears dry, but we dont know the growers fertigation schedule or whats going on exactly in those pictures above.

you do want drybacks, and you want drybacks in HFF/Coco too, im not saying dryback to 100% but still, "drybacks" are important.

roots do not like to be constantly drenched while O2 depletes.

sorry, i dont think so.

you could give them 3.0 or 5.0 E.C Solution.

its the Water Content thats really important

once you have a "HARD" dry back with 5.0 E.C then problems occur fast from "nute burn"

as the water content drops, and any unused ions/salts remain, E.C spikes, Frequent fertigation keeps this E.C down

thats where the "DRAIN" to WASTE comes from in DTW HFF.

i can not let incorrect info or context slide down in a grow forum, let alone HERE.

i grow in coco or rockwool or water, my last grow i JUST harvested I DID NOT WATER TILL RUN OFF LIKE EVERYONE HERE IS SAYING,
i kept my e.c and pH in check for the most part, alongside WATER CONTENT %
I also had "crazy ass" dry backs.

If you're E.C run off is higher than input or not within 0.1 you're wasting nutrients and $$ down the drain, and/or very low uptake

DTW/HFF

Can i ask some questions fast.

What is the room day/night temps and humidity? This will affect the target EC.

Pot dimensions and material?

Watering frequency and volume in and runoff out?

Light intensity if you can. Or height and type? This will also affect transpiration

What time of day is watering done?

A fee plant pics would soeak volumes if you can.

Type of nutrients used and ratios?

Lets start there

Pocs i seen there show light is to close, possibly leaf temp to high and/or to much wind.

They are being driven to hard and cannot transpire enough at that size to keep cool due to a small root system.

But all the other questions i asked need to be answered because there is not a single issue but rather a few issues.

There are work arounds but since all these variables affect eachother to really solve all his problems in one go that info is needed

Can i ask some questions fast.

What is the room day/night temps and humidity? This will affect the target EC.

Pot dimensions and material?

Watering frequency and volume in and runoff out?

Light intensity if you can. Or height and type? This will also affect transpiration

What time of day is watering done?

A fee plant pics would soeak volumes if you can.

Type of nutrients used and ratios?

Lets start there
I'm going to be seeing him this Saturday and will get the rest of the info and snap some pictures for you. I'm too new, I grow in coco but I've not ran into the issues he is experiencing, so thank you!!

Temps: 67F - 75F
RH: 65-70%
Medium: coco\perlite
Nutes: Lotus cal-mag and Grow
Light: EVO 3, 28 inches above canopy at 30% ( he was incorrect about the previous 10%)
Fertigating: Twice a day.

Ok light sounds ok but maybe a bit to much inder the conditions.

Temps shoot for 75-80f better for ideal plant temp of 77f.

But you need to drop the humidity a bit they are rooted now so 55-60% that will aid in transpiration.

Water once a day to get decent runoff for now. In the morning just after lights on.

EC of around 1.0-1.2 only use half does of cal mag.

I’m betting he has fans directly on them so tell him to stop that immediately. You just need gentle air movement in the room right now. They are no where near dense enough to require direct airflow.

Move the light up to 36” on the lowest setting until they come around. Light drives growth but it also increases demand and we want them to recover. The harderr you push a struggling plat the worse it will get and the faster it will get worse.

Water with nutrients at the same temp as the room. Often mix and let sit in the room intil used. You can shock small plants with cold or hot water.

Lets start there

Ok light sounds ok but maybe a bit to much inder the conditions.

Temps shoot for 75-80f better for ideal plant temp of 77f.

But you need to drop the humidity a bit they are rooted now so 55-60% that will aid in transpiration.

Water once a day to get decent runoff for now. In the morning just after lights on.

EC of around 1.0-1.2 only use half does of cal mag.

I’m betting he has fans directly on them so tell him to stop that immediately. You just need gentle air movement in the room right now. They are no where near dense enough to require direct airflow.

Move the light up to 36” on the lowest setting until they come around. Light drives growth but it also increases demand and we want them to recover. The harderr you push a struggling plat the worse it will get and the faster it will get worse.

Water with nutrients at the same temp as the room. Often mix and let sit in the room intil used. You can shock small plants with cold or hot water.

Lets start there
Relaying the info now!

Update, plants are looking better. I haven’t been by to see them yet. But they seem happier from the pictures. Thank you guys for the help!

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 11
Update, plants are looking better. I haven’t been by to see them yet. But they seem happier from the pictures. Thank you guys for the help!
Good stuff. #1 Rule and almost the only rule… lower light if plant is struggling. The more dialed in you get your environment. Nutes, ph, temps, humidity, etc. the more light they can handle

Ugh, why is this so difficult at his house? My guy is on vacation so I’m tending to the plants. The tacoing continues. My parameters are almost identical and my plants are showing 0 signs of light stress. What am I missing? Just experience?

Temp: 72-77F
Humidity: 50-56%
Par: 300
Light: 24 inches at 30%
Watering 3x daily 1.5 EC

Attachments

• IMG_6928.jpeg
    IMG_6928.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    669.9 KB · Views: 9
Ugh, why is this so difficult at his house? My guy is on vacation so I’m tending to the plants. The tacoing continues. My parameters are almost identical and my plants are showing 0 signs of light stress. What am I missing? Just experience?

Watering 3x daily 1.5 EC
Any pests in the rootzone?

Watering 3x daily 1.5 EC
Also 300 ppfd is too much at this stage imo. Different genetics also play a role. Honestly just read the plants and do NOT go by numbers. Sooo many people over light the plants in veg. This is a time to just give healthy growth so when you go into flower you can push them harder

Also What is his light cycle?

I have honestly watched so many growers continue to try and push too much light. For multiple grows on end chasing problems that simply is too much light.

In veg we should not be pushing our plants

Also What is his light cycle?

I have honestly watched so many growers continue to try and push too much light. For multiple grows on end chasing problems that simply is too much light.

In veg we should not be pushing our plants
He’s on 18/6. Tomorrow when I go, I will turn the light down.

And how light do the pots feel, last watering time?

And temp and rh.

I'd be at 80+f air and 60+rh
Could possibly move light to 26inches

But aquas here
They weren’t too light. Still moist, I’m trying to get him to up the temps. But his lung room stays at 72. He’s not used to this southern heat yet. He’s a L.A. native

He’s on 18/6. Tomorrow when I go, I will turn the light down.
Just cut back to 150ppfd for a week at least and see what happens. It takes time to recover from light stress. Temp also affects light tolerance. But honestly i bet you will see faster growth under 150ppfd than you do at 300. The less stress the more growth

Just cut back to 150ppfd for a week at least and see what happens. It takes time to recover from light stress. Temp also affects light tolerance. But honestly i bet you will see faster growth under 150ppfd than you do at 300. The less stress the more growth
Good to know! I honestly thought you wanted to push the light at all times.

Good to know! I honestly thought you wanted to push the light at all times.
Nope veg is all about getting the plants as healthy as possible to push in flower. But you slowly ramp up in flower over the first 2 weeks. The healthier they are the harder you will be able to push them in flower. You don’t want to go into flower with a stressed plant because it will impact your yields and quality.

These are running at 100ppfd 18hr
0.6 ec
5.4-5.7ph

dont have much ENV control and AC is out rn

Attachments

• 1719872501420310142824884801316.jpg
    1719872501420310142824884801316.jpg
    703.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 17198725223121116377072326179726.jpg
    17198725223121116377072326179726.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 17198726796268613741793901467483.jpg