Best and Worst ideas and buys you've made for your grow space?

Bandit420

The Terp Slurper
Reaction score
You ever do something for your room, cab, tent, outdoor plot where before you did it you thought it would be a huge upgrade and then it goes just about as horrible as it possibly could?
Additionally, you ever do or buy something you thought would be good but then it changed everything about how you grow and was the best idea you ever had?
I've had a few of both....

The best idea that quickly became the worst idea ever for me might've been a CO2 generator. In particularly this fucker right here

10051.jpg

This was before affordable CO2 monitors were around and there were only CO2 controllers with starting prices at $300 up to a couple grand for the fancy do it all units.
I have a natural gas line in my room and Green Air came out with this NG fueled, air cooled CO2 gen.
"Brilliant!" I thought to myself. I'll be able to gas my ladies and the air cooling won't add a single BTU of heat to my room was my reasoning for this buy.
$500 later and some work on install it was up and running. Hell yeah!
I close up the room and go to work. Excited all day to get home and see how my plants love the new toy.
I get home and walk in and they're cooked. Temps are at 170*F and this thing is roaring like a damn fully stoked fire place. The air cooling on it was absolute ineffective garbage. I coulda made BBQ in my room.
Very pissed off the next day, it was out of the room, and listed on ebay.

I dabbled with CO2 a couple times after that fiasco. Those Exhale bags loaded with compost? Yeah had that and it was garbage. Tried a tank system but quickly dismissed it after emptying a tank in under 2 days.
Needless to say my CO2 wanderlust is deader than dead now and am fine with whatever is there.

Another bad idea but was ok really, just awkward to manage indoors was this one.
Coming in at #2 of my worst ideas and buys was the Geopot 4'x6'x2' PVC framed raised bed

GEOPLANTER-Product-Carousel-5.jpg

Yeah a raised bed indoors. 🤪Most would balk at the idea but not me. I had convinced myself it was a great idea and it was in the end a pretty bad one.
First of all it was expensive AF to fill with good soil. Next it was near impossible to keep adequately and evenly watered.
So after two grows it was out but not all was lost. The bed was set up outdoors and was used for about 5 more years until it fell apart from wear and some of the original soil is still in containers today. The PVC frame became a shade cloth frame for my peppers yesterday so it did have some reuse and recycle qualities but was just impractical to set it up indoors.
Another thing about the raised bed was the misleading advertising pics. That's not what they look like at all. That soil is dry and those plants are babies so it's staged for that photo.
What actually happens is the fabric expands and bloats off the frame and the frame bends. So what you really get is a sort of oval shaped swollen raised bad of dirt, not that nice and orderly thing in the picture

Quite possibly the single best thing and buy I ever did for growing my weed was getting into airpots.
Circa 2010 a lady in Florida was using airpots to show her exotic plants at plant shows. They intrigued me. She bought them in England and agreed to sell me 3 in different sizes. This was a couple years before they were widely available in the USA.
This move would change the way I grew pot forever and what bumped me out of hydroponics and into organics.
Since they came out there's been some copycats but nothing as good as the original. IMO they are the best container to veg soil plants and it's not close. If there was something better, I'd be using it. 13 years later they are still my go-to container and I'll recommend them with confidence to any grower looking for a game changer container.

To understand exactly what they do and how they do it, here's a video that explains it much better than I ever could. Everything she describes is 100% legit and spot on

Last edited:
What is the advantage of an air pot to a cloth pot?

Same crap happened to me with an NG burner. I was nervous from the beginning having live flames in the grow room but it was the cheapest way to go versus bottled CO2. Burner worked for about a month and then cooked the crop. Fuck those burners. I finally forked over the cash and bought a C.A.P. fuzzy logic controller and never had a problem with CO2 again.

I worked with a group that had set up their gardens in raised flood tables filled with hydroton. Stick the 6" rockwool cube in the hydroton and roots galore. Same concept as your raised garden beds but not quite as flimsy!! ;)

Other than what I've posted I've been lucky enough to stay away from the snake oil. Probably because I got to watch it in action when I was working.

What is the advantage of an air pot to a cloth pot?
Can be reused for many years. Some of mine are 13 years old. IDK of fabric bags lasting that long. The fabric bags I've used are done inside of two years.

Root guidance and equal branching of the roots thru the entire column of soil creating a better more robust and more active feeding root system

Better drainage. No waterlogged soggy bottoms and dry tops. They wet and dry evenly

Greater availability of oxygen in the root zone

Airpots plants can be removed from the pot for upcanning or planting without the shock of tearing a bag off the roots and the bag taking roots with it. But if planting in the ground then the bag should stay on and the roots will punch thru it.

When using synthetic nutes there will be salt build up in the bag fabric that can cause toxicity issues

The only advantage fabric has over airpots or other plastic pots is it's ability to run coco in flood & drain without the coco washing out of the container

Biggest waste? Buying a bunch of meters that I'll likely never use again trying to figure out what was going on with that one stupid auto... which I fucked up all on my own by treating it like a photo. Bright side is, I know my water is in an acceptable range I guess.

Best idea I ever had? Trying a scrog outside. Originally I did it soley for stealth, but as the season progressed, it was clear that it made everything more manageable. Better airflow, easier maintenance, no ladders required, everything right there in view. More even sized buds. First year I think EVER that I had no PM or rot... still had a bit of both at location two which were not scrogged. Piggybacking off that, buying a leaf blower to dry out my crop after a dew or rain was also a game changer, and the scrog made the morning blow outs easy as pie. Few people said it was dumb to do s scrog outside, I think proved them wrong on all fronts. Hope to improve my outdoor scrog skilllz this year.

So I'll be honest I made alot of bad ideas, not so much bad ideas (well I did make plenty of those) but mostly bad purchases. I made 1 good idea that saved it all. I signed up for prime so every shit fan that didn't get me there or crappy space heater that seemed like a fire hazard went back until I got where I wanted. I'm usually the guy that buys stuff and takes the L if it sucks, but I had a set amount that had to get me there.

Biggest waste? Buying a bunch of meters that I'll likely never use again trying to figure out what was going on with that one stupid auto... which I fucked up all on my own by treating it like a photo. Bright side is, I know my water is in an acceptable range I guess.

Best idea I ever had? Trying a scrog outside. Originally I did it soley for stealth, but as the season progressed, it was clear that it made everything more manageable. Better airflow, easier maintenance, no ladders required, everything right there in view. More even sized buds. First year I think EVER that I had no PM or rot... still had a bit of both at location two which were not scrogged. Piggybacking off that, buying a leaf blower to dry out my crop after a dew or rain was also a game changer, and the scrog made the morning blow outs easy as pie. Few people said it was dumb to do s scrog outside, I think proved them wrong on all fronts. Hope to improve my outdoor scrog skilllz this year.
I have a small box of meters, most of them dead. From TDS to pH to PAR to CFM. I used to try and measure everything that could be measured. At some point, likely when two meters that measure the same thing give different readings, I just quit looking and caring. Ironic enough when I quit measuring everything was when my gardens gave me the least trouble 🙃

I have a small box of meters, most of them dead. From TDS to pH to PAR to CFM. I used to try and measure everything that could be measured. At some point, likely when two meters that measure the same thing give different readings, I just quit looking and caring. Ironic enough when I quit measuring everything was when my gardens gave me the least trouble 🙃
I think the danger with meters is that many try and chase a number when they just need to keep it in range.

I think meters have there place.
IMO it is to get a baseline and then use as a tool to help diagnose issues.
Every day with soil is not needed.
I think I would not do a RDWC without proper meters.

Agreed. RDWC needs more monitoring since it doesn't have dirt to even things out. Essentially you are the dirt!

But when they're wrong they make the problem worse and that's where I found myself.
I still use my Blue Lab truncheon and can't recommend it enough. 10 years and still works like new but the only reason I still use it is to make sure my RO filter is working properly.
PAR meter is ok and cool but not really needed after the first grow when I figure out the real footprint and ideal heights.
Killawatt meter is a really good one to have especially with LED and making sure a circuit doesn't get overloaded. Plus I use it around the house for other things like making sure I don't overload my generator during a power outage.
CO2 meter is nice to have so I know if I need the gas or not.
CFM meter is unnecessary.
pH meters have a special place in Hell IMO. In fact I'm fairly certain Hanna is ran by a satanic cult or maybe the North Koreans, not sure yet. If I need to know that number I do the 3 drop test kit.

I've always grown rdwc and always have had the blue lab meter hanging on the wall. Lately ive added blue lab auto dosers and find calibrating them 2 weeks apart makes for a good average between the 2

I'm relatively new so I dont have a long history of purchases but can say for the money the ACI controllers and automating climate has been my most impactful purchase thus far.
I think while learning to grow we need all the meters we can get. Reading ph & ppm while adding nutes and run off teaches you how it all works, I stopped taking readings in soil because I have it pretty well figured out. I just started with the Auto Pots, an ebb and flow system and I'm back on the meters again trying to learn this new type of grow. I use a cheap ph tester but I have ph strips to double check that the readings are close.

This was a bad purchase for me, but it might work out for someone who makes bubble hash at a larger scale than I do.

I use a 5 gallon bucket to make bubble hash. My grows don't warrant anything larger, but this thing really shouldn't be used in a 5 gallon bucket. It is too powerful. It broke up leaf matter so much that the hash turned out greenish. Also, one time I made the mistake of walking away from it for half an hour while it was running. I think it foamed up the water and spewed "hash water" all over the floor.
IMG_7670.jpeg
It clips onto the side of whatever bucket or basin you are using to mix the ice water and plant material. Then you turn it on and it churns the water with the disk you can see near the bottom of it. When I got it, a few years ago, the manufacturers said it was suitable for a 5 gallon bucket or larger. It is not suitable for a 5 gallon. I think a 20 or 30 gallon container would be more reasonable for the power it has.

My thought, while I was running it, was that it could use a longer shank to put that twirling disk deeper in the bucket, but it is probably just too damned powerful for a smaller bucket, period.

If anyone makes large quantities of hash in larger buckets, and would like to give this thing a try, it can be arranged.

Lots of wasted money on my end. Mostly trying different nutrients hoping for magical results and not realizing that the environment and watering practices were most important. Best buy in my experience has been my Blumat watering system. I travel a lot, and being able to leave for a week or two and not worry about my plants is priceless.

And yes, the Blumats appear to be working great in Coco

Lots of wasted money on my end. Mostly trying different nutrients hoping for magical results and not realizing that the environment and watering practices were most important. Best buy in my experience has been my Blumat watering system. I travel a lot, and being able to leave for a week or two and not worry about my plants is priceless.

I just keep walking the aisle of grow shops, looking for any product that has the word "miracle" on the label, but not if it's followed by "grow". Cause, you know, a miracle sometimes helps.

I just keep walking the aisle of grow shops, looking for any product that has the word "miracle" on the label, but not if it's followed by "grow". Cause, you know, a miracle sometimes helps.
I'm thankful for the experience I had working in cultivation. I learned that there is no magic bullet in terms of nutrients. I learned that timing plays just as important a role as what you are giving them and the ratio balance of nutrients that matter when it comes to feeding. Watering properly. Interpreting what the plant is telling me. Keeping as sanitary an environment as possible to reduce infection and infestation. Maintaining a consistent environment unless I want to introduce a stressor to steer them in a particular direction.

I've always been impressed by Advanced Nutrients.

First, you have a feed chart which according to how many bottles you buy will determine your status from Amateur to Master Grower.
I always knew I could buy my way into experience and AN proved me right.

Then you have the owner, Big Mike, who flies to the Cannabis Cups in a private jet with a stable of strippers in tow.

big mike.jpg

And those product names...Connoisseur, pH Perfect, Bud Candy...that's just perfection in a bottle!
Never mind the fact much of it is sourced from the same place GH Trio is sourced or that we can buy the same exact things under different labels like Humboldt for less. We're talking Master Grower status and strippers here and if there's one thing I know is a recipe for ganja farming success that's it. The advertising says so and I know the advertising is always looking out for my best interest.🤑

I've met and talked to Big Mike many times. You are right. He went from weed dealer to advertising mogul. BTW the whole hooker/private plane thing is part of the advertising scheme.

I will say that if you can block out the advertising noise he has some good product.

I will also say that, much like most brands, there are usually just a few actual manufacturers that white label product for a multitude of brands. Heavy 16 is a good example. Mills, Black Label, Humboldts Secret, etc. These brands all come out of one factory.

A few years ago, when only medical was legal in MI, I was at some sort of High Times sponsored medical weed festival. AN had some promo items, like vials and papers, that had this ad line:

Ask: Was it grown with Advanced Nutrients?

Ask who? Some bud tender or someone else you might be buying weed from? And for what? Who on earth would give a shit? "Like whoa, this is some of the best weed I've ever smoked, but it wasn't grown with Advanced Nutrients? Sorry, that's a deal breaker for me."

I've met and talked to Big Mike many times. You are right. He went from weed dealer to advertising mogul. BTW the whole hooker/private plane thing is part of the advertising scheme.

I will say that if you can block out the advertising noise he has some good product.

I will also say that, much like most brands, there are usually just a few actual manufacturers that white label product for a multitude of brands. Heavy 16 is a good example. Mills, Black Label, Humboldts Secret, etc. These brands all come out of one factory.
His entire line got cut out of the offerings by the local hydroshop chain about 10 years ago. The things AN was telling people in email and phone support was insane. The answer was always another product so growers would go to the shop and ask and the owner would be like WTF? Who is telling you guys to do this? Their advice was killing more plants than spider mites with their hot formulas. Owner just got fed up and cancelled AN and stopped selling it.

His entire line got cut out of the offerings by the local hydroshop chain about 10 years ago. The things AN was telling people in email and phone support was insane. The answer was always another product so growers would go to the shop and ask and the owner would be like WTF? Who is telling you guys to do this? Their advice was killing more plants than spider mites with their hot formulas. Owner just got fed up and cancelled AN and stopped selling it.
Had a friend that had a warehouse grow going and got the call from a licensed grow op to come be their master gardener. He asked me to take care of his gardens while he got acclimated at the new place then we could talk about a partnership. He was running Aptus Nutes but not getting very good results. He was also paying an arm and a leg for the nutes.

I did a run with them and hated it. I decided to reset the nutrition program and brought in AN's basic line to run the next grow. That run yielded 30% more dry product than he had been able to do with the Aptus line. Same genetics as we had a large mother room to house multiples of each cultivar. Same everything except for the nutrients.

AN's nutes work. You just need to know how to use them. Forget about the bottle directions. All that other stuff is just fluff Mike uses to milk more cash out of the newbs that don't know how to interpret their plants and fix whatever issues they may be having. I agree that a lot of that stuff is just water but, again, if you block out the noise the base stuff ain't bad. Overpriced for sure but if you don't want to have to pH or have no recipe that works his product will work.

I'm thankful for the experience I had working in cultivation. I learned that there is no magic bullet in terms of nutrients. I learned that timing plays just as important a role as what you are giving them and the ratio balance of nutrients that matter when it comes to feeding. Watering properly. Interpreting what the plant is telling me. Keeping as sanitary an environment as possible to reduce infection and infestation. Maintaining a consistent environment unless I want to introduce a stressor to steer them in a particular direction.
Im starting to thingk a consistent evironment and root zone health are the two biggest factors in a plant flourishing or not. Healthier the plant is, the more they repel pests and disease. I wonder if a plant that is having issues sends out some sort of smell/hormone that attracts pests. Like stress hormones or something?

That happens in almost every industry - some use different formulas and or configuration , I’ve also seen a product just get a different label and cost twice as much

Best thing I ever did was elevate whole tents , on platform about 10” off the ground great for rolling around on a stool to work , no need to raise plants off the floor so I can use the whole tent if needed , collect runoff underneath-

Back
Top Bottom