Help I fried one of my plants!! Should I cut it?

Garbage_bear

Puff Paladin
Reaction score
Help internet nerds!! - no offense. Nerds are just people smarter than me lol.

Ugh so I have been dealing with russet mites and thrips. Just when you think they're dead they pop up on another plant(russet mites--bastards). I think I have killed the thrips but may have killed one of my plants in the process. I use General hydroponics pure spray. It's kind of like neem oil. Just mineral oil. Well it concentrated at the bottom of the sprayer and I didn't shake so this poor plant got covered in oil then fried by the sun the next day. It's a Jack Herer. Some funky new growth. Seems like just about every leaf got fried. Ian worried it will herm now. Should I pull this poor girl?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.21.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.21.03 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.21.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.21.15 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.21.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-21 at 7.21.25 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Help internet nerds!! - no offense. Nerds are just people smarter than me lol.

Ugh so I have been dealing with russet mites and thrips. Just when you think they're dead they pop up on another plant(russet mites--bastards). I think I have killed the thrips but may have killed one of my plants in the process. I use General hydroponics pure spray. It's kind of like neem oil. Just mineral oil. Well it concentrated at the bottom of the sprayer and I didn't shake so this poor plant got covered in oil then fried by the sun the next day. It's a Jack Herer. Some funky new growth. Seems like just about every leaf got fried. Ian worried it will herm now. Should I pull this poor girl?
Man im sorry to hear youve been dealing with bugs.
Sulfur spray or micronized sulfur works the best on bugs imo.
If that plant were mine, i would spray it down with plain water to try and rinse anything off of it, and just hope for the best. Not sure there is much to do with it otherwise.

I kinda have the same issue going on. I believe my kid got in my room and sprayed some of my plants with something, not sure what but they were looking really rough a couple days ago, and now they're starting to come back. around.

Man you can't catch a break.

You are beyond me on this one. I've never grown outside. To my feeble brain it seems impossible to sterilize the outdoors and move on, rather this seems like something you are just going to be dealing with going forward. Getting your pest management system sorted and in place is my best suggestion. Treat for bugs right from the start rather than waiting until you see damage. Just assume you have them and go medieval on they azz!

I am not sure if that plant will recover or not. You have a lot of time to try to nurse it back tho.

One of the things that I will tell you about is an organic spray called Trifecta. It has been bar none one of the best pesticides I have ever used. Spray just before dark every three days for a bit. Nothing likes it! It will even kick molds arse. Smells like a big Greek salad, is not oily and gets the job done! My ladies actually groove on it!

I would spray them regularly (every 3 days, or whatever lifecycle requirement for russet mites) with a substance they can't develop an immunity to, like mild detergents and mild acetic acid solutions. Then I'd look into beneficial organisms.

Being outdoors, you will not eliminate the critters, you can only make life difficult for them.

I often tout Arbico-Organics website, because it's a wealth of information. You don't need to buy from them. In fact, if you are getting beneficials, you should see if there are insectary near you (like in your state, or within a reasonable distance) and buy from them. I know Arbico does not have their own insectaries, and buys from others. This might put a delay in an order, that might result in less-than-healthy beneficials arriving at your door. The site will explain life cycles and methods to deal with pests, as well as offer you products. The products can be purchased anywhere, though.

One of the things that I will tell you about is an organic spray called Trifecta. It has been bar none one of the best pesticides I have ever used. Spray just before dark every three days for a bit. Nothing likes it! It will even kick molds arse. Smells like a big Greek salad, is not oily and gets the job done! My ladies actually groove on it!
☝️x2.

I would spray them regularly (every 3 days, or whatever lifecycle requirement for russet mites) with a substance they can't develop an immunity to, like mild detergents and mild acetic acid solutions. Then I'd look into beneficial organisms.

Being outdoors, you will not eliminate the critters, you can only make life difficult for them.

I often tout Arbico-Organics website, because it's a wealth of information. You don't need to buy from them. In fact, if you are getting beneficials, you should see if there are insectary near you (like in your state, or within a reasonable distance) and buy from them. I know Arbico does not have their own insectaries, and buys from others. This might put a delay in an order, that might result in less-than-healthy beneficials arriving at your door. The site will explain life cycles and methods to deal with pests, as well as offer you products. The products can be purchased anywhere, though.
So I did order some beneficials from them before the grow, while thesis was cooking. But I have never had good luck with them. I wonder if my sprays kill those as well? I saw some beneficial beetles from build a soil that look awesome. But they are expensive and I wonder if they will just leave as it is outside in a greenhouse.
If that plant were mine, i would spray it down with plain water to try and rinse anything off of it, and just hope for the best. Not sure there is much to do with it otherwise.

I kinda have the same issue going on. I believe my kid got in my room and sprayed some of my plants with something, not sure what but they were looking really rough a couple days ago, and now they're starting to come back. around.
Do you have any links t where to get that stuff?

Diatomaceous earth will help with mites..you just use a plastic puff container.do under leaves,mix it in the soil around the plant .its pretty cheap so you could go nuts around the whole area.beneficials are good but they are hard to keep them on your plant but some would stay….neem is a no no.burns the fuck out of your plants.I learnt my lesson with that shit..

Going forward I would start with a simple insecticidal soap solution before going with something harder on the plant. Cheap and easy to make. I would spray them down, top to bottom, side to side so that they are COMPLETELY drenched with leaf tips dripping solution off.

I would apply every few days for a couple of weeks keeping an eye on how they are responding to the IS solution. Because you are outside you will need to keep a pest control program going to keep the pests at bay. You won't get rid of them but you will keep them from chewing through your garden.

When things get beyond IS solution I go with Azamax and it hasn't failed me yet. It is a neem oil derivative so you will need to keep it well shaken within the solution before application.

Going forward I would start with a simple insecticidal soap solution before going with something harder on the plant. Cheap and easy to make. I would spray them down, top to bottom, side to side so that they are COMPLETELY drenched with leaf tips dripping solution off.

I would apply every few days for a couple of weeks keeping an eye on how they are responding to the IS solution. Because you are outside you will need to keep a pest control program going to keep the pests at bay. You won't get rid of them but you will keep them from chewing through your garden.

When things get beyond IS solution I go with Azamax and it hasn't failed me yet. It is a neem oil derivative so you will need to keep it well shaken within the solution before application.
Does simple dish soap work? What ratio to water?

I did find a mantis egg thing on one of my posts in the greenhouse so that should help!!

Attachments

• 75ADD4BD-9A23-44CC-8C31-79A1D3267CC3.jpeg
    75ADD4BD-9A23-44CC-8C31-79A1D3267CC3.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 7
The micronized sulfur G$ linked is what I used successfully. I like it because it helps the plant be stinky as well as kill all stages.

I have never dealt with Russet Mites. Being outside is going to be a pain in the ass to get thru to harvest at this point IMO. I hate to say it but I would probably cut down everything, spray the crap out of the area with something strong and start over. Make sure what ever you use will kill the eggs as well. The sulphur thing is cool but if you get too much in the ground you can probably end up with a sulphur toxicity problem later.

The micronized sulfur G$ linked is what I used successfully. I like it because it helps the plant be stinky as well as kill all stages.
This also seems to work well but my first time as well

I let these little guys go - this plant was full of bugs a couple weeks ago !
When I lived in SC, I had a little "grove" of Casa Blanca lilies. If you're not familiar, the scent is completely intoxicating -- very sweet. They used to attract a few flies. Every year, an anole lizard would take up residence during flowering. He'd jump from flower to flower, catching flies in mid air. Very entertaining.

Door lock with key....dont lock after the horse escaped the barn

Man you can't catch a break.

You are beyond me on this one. I've never grown outside. To my feeble brain it seems impossible to sterilize the outdoors and move on, rather this seems like something you are just going to be dealing with going forward. Getting your pest management system sorted and in place is my best suggestion. Treat for bugs right from the start rather than waiting until you see damage. Just assume you have them and go medieval on they azz!

I am not sure if that plant will recover or not. You have a lot of time to try to nurse it back tho.
Yeah at that point you fight nature with nature...

Mint
Tyme
Rosemary
Marigolds
Lavender
Peppers
Lemon balm
Cinnamon
And more probably

Beneficial bugs like ladybugs, spiders and praying mantises will all be your outdoor cannabuddies.

And then you got you're microbes too and beneficial bacteria and mycos

Combine this with a scheduled foliage treatment of organic pesticides/including the above

If problem still persist after all that, fuck me, volanco.

Back
Top Bottom