Home Office/Man Cave Closet Build

Starting to think through some of the details about the base shelf in the closet build. Under the bar will be a beverage cooler that weighs ~55lbs. In the next column over, the bottom cubby will be holding a safe that weighs ~450lbs (this is gonna be a motherfucker to install). I'm debating framing in the base with 2x4, and modifying how I planned on finishing out the bottom with some much nicer crown moulding for base boards.

With that context, how overbuilt do y'all builder types recommend going for the bottom shelf under the beverage cooler and the safe? using 1/2" plywood for the shelve tops, and since it's the base shelf, i have flexibility around whether to use 2x4, or whatever other nominal lumber for the shelf supports themselves. I'm not too worried about under the beverage cooler, but the safe is a heavy mf'er and I do NOT want any warping or failure of the shelf over the decade plus that safe will be living there.

For scale, the outer dimensions of the safe are 16" H x 19 5/8" W x 21" D. I'm thinking of building a grid of 6"OC studs with blocking every 7" between them under the safe. Probably overkill, but like I said, failure under that thing isn't really an option.

So, input please!

4 x 4 cut to the length. 5 pieces cut to 21" will give you a base of 20" x 21", will be solid with no gaps in your base and will be much easier to assemble. You don't even need to put them together. You can lay them in there and secure them with the Crown Moulding surround. If you want to get fancy you can make a 4 x 4 frame by cutting 45's with a small void in the middle. This is for the safe. IIRC, your place is on a concrete slab?

The cooler shouldn't need much more support unless it's unusually heavy.

4 x 4 cut to the length. 5 pieces cut to 21" will give you a base of 20" x 21", will be solid with no gaps in your base and will be much easier to assemble. You don't even need to put them together. You can lay them in there and secure them with the Crown Moulding surround. If you want to get fancy you can make a 4 x 4 frame by cutting 45's with a small void in the middle. This is for the safe. IIRC, your place is on a concrete slab?

The cooler shouldn't need much more support unless it's unusually heavy.
yessir, concrete slab. didn't think about using 4x4s, that's a great idea. similar to how ballasts are built for super heavy workbenches. i like it

Yup! Good thing is if you want to move it later you can reclaim the space with minimal effort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom