I may have bought the last $33 bag of COM Stonington Blend on Amazon

Bandit420

The Texican
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
Last week I wanted to do my usual order and get the 4 bag limit but could only buy 1 bag.
Been checking every day but it's not restocking at that price and seems that option is sold out
Clicked on "See all buying options" and minimum price is around $40/bag

There was a 4 bag deal for $152 and that's around $38/bag so I took that deal.

com order.png

However, right after I placed that order the price jumped to $170 and it's no longer sold by Esbenshades but rather COM

Next best deals are a 6 bag, 8 bag, and 10 bagger and all were still under $40/bag at around $38/bag then minutes later the price jumped on them too.

Also looks like the COM storefront on Amazon is directing us to buy the $40 bags but if you search Stonington on Amazon's home page then the 4, 6, and 10 bag deals appear.

I guess the popularity is catching on and COM is charging us more now folks

Last edited:
this sucks!! i'm out of soil right now and have to get some for the round... might have to do a reboot if i can't find anything.

i looked quick at GGMi and they had nothing. i have a few weeks before i need it so i'll have to do some shopping...

this sucks!! i'm out of soil right now and have to get some for the round... might have to do a reboot if i can't find anything.

i looked quick at GGMi and they had nothing. i have a few weeks before i need it so i'll have to do some shopping...

I have 6 bags in my carport. That last $33 bag will be here Saturday then the 4 bag in a week or so. I think I'm good for this grow and maybe into the next, IDK yet.

I can get it for $35/bag but it's a two hour round trip drive.
Roots Lush is comparable but even more expensive.
Fox Farm is an option sold at the grocery store at $40/2cf bags but that's a last resort option.

I think the big culprit here is shipping costs and not so much COM trying to get the most out of us.
There's also the bag of Stonington mix that could be used for used soil or even to spice up something like Roots Original IDK.
Just hard to let it go because it's truly the best soil I've ever used

Last edited:
I have 6 bags in my carport. That last $33 bag will be here Saturday then the 4 bag in a week or so. I think I'm good for this grow and maybe into the next, IDK yet.

Fox Farm is an option sold at the grocery store at $40/2cf bags but that's a last resort option.

I think the big culprit here is shipping costs and not so much COM trying to get the most out of us.
There's also the bag of Stonington mix that could be used for used soil or even to spice up something like Roots Original IDK.

Those prices are insanely high most likely (as you said) because its an expensive product to ship.

Food for thought here ... recycle your soil using Sub Cool's Super Soil mix. You can find several versions of it here: https://budbuilders.org/threads/subcool-super-soil-mix.164/

I bought a kiddie size swimming pool for mixing in the amendments. I mix it about 1 to 1 with fresh Roots Organic Original. It's a good way to stretch the life of your expensive potting soil if you have a place to mix it and store it.

Last week I wanted to do my usual order and get the 4 bag limit but could only buy 1 bag.
Been checking every day but it's not restocking at that price and seems that option is sold out
Clicked on "See all buying options" and minimum price is around $40/bag

There was a 4 bag deal for $152 and that's around $38/bag so I took that deal.

View attachment 71572

However, right after I placed that order the price jumped to $170 and it's no longer sold by Esbenshades but rather COM

Next best deals are a 6 bag, 8 bag, and 10 bagger and all were still under $40/bag at around $38/bag then minutes later the price jumped on the 6 bag as well but the 8 and 10 are still under $40 with the 10 bag at around $37/bag.

Also looks like the COM storefront on Amazon is directing us to buy the $40 bags but if you search Stonington on Amazon's home page then the 4, 6, and 10 bag deals appear.

I guess the popularity is catching on and COM is charging us more now folks

You still get better deals than we do. IMG_9980.jpg

That’s the best CND deal I could find on Amazon Canada. BS 😑

Those prices are insanely high most likely (as you said) because its an expensive product to ship.

Food for thought here ... recycle your soil using Sub Cool's Super Soil mix. You can find several versions of it here: https://budbuilders.org/threads/subcool-super-soil-mix.164/

I bought a kiddie size swimming pool for mixing in the amendments. I mix it about 1 to 1 with fresh Roots Organic Original. It's a good way to stretch the life of your expensive potting soil if you have a place to mix it and store it.

Once upon a time I was into mixing my own. I even had a cement mixer for the job and thought if I got into that again I'd use one of those compost bins that spins and do it that way.
But a combination of lack of time, space, bulging disc in my lower back, and straight up laziness got me out of it. And every now and then a bug infestation makes me put the used soil in quarantine for outdoor veggie garden use only.

Downsizing from 7 gallon to 4 gallon has helped cut the cost and buying bulk is always a good plan.
At some point though I'm gonna have to convince my buddy at the hydroshop to carry it. He got Vermifire in there when I requested it a while back so I might have to do some schmoozing once again.

View attachment 71689

Costs me like 140ish for 3 grows.
Makes about 18 cubic feet.

Without getting too much into it, Promix is just peat moss and perlite with microherds. The cost is low and it should be.
For me to turn it into a supersoil like stonington, the cost and labor would skyrocket or I could use salt based synthetic fertz which I won't do.

I keep things organic, no salts, and prefer a soil already built up to avoid the labor, costs of amendments, and storing those amendments which around here attract pests like raccoons getting into my shed to chow down on crab meal and other meals.
I also prefer coco + peat based mix over peat by itself and prefer supersoils because they're a just add water type of medium. So what I spend on it, I save tons in ferts using only 1/10th recommended dosing when feeding.

Without getting too much into it, Promix is just peat moss and perlite with microherds. The cost is low and it should be.
For me to turn it into a supersoil like stonington, the cost and labor would skyrocket or I could use salt based synthetic fertz which I won't do.

I keep things organic, no salts, and prefer a soil already built up to avoid the labor, costs of amendments, and storing those amendments which around here attract pests like raccoons getting into my shed to chow down on crab meal and other meals.
I also prefer coco + peat based mix over peat by itself and prefer supersoils because they're a just add water type of medium. So what I spend on it, I save tons in ferts using only 1/10th recommended dosing when feeding.

Based on everything you just stated above, it might be worth chatting with your buddy at your local hydro shop to see if he can start stocking Roots Organic "Lush." It's one of the best commercial potting mixes I have ever used. I stopped using it when prices went over $30.00 a bag locally. I do know where I can pick it up for $20.90 per 1.5 cu/ft bag but I have to make a road trip (1 1/2 hrs round trip) to get it and their open hours makes it difficult. I can still get Roots Organic "Original" locall for under $15.00 a bag out the door. I like the texture of it. It would make a great base for a super soil mix if you wanted to keep things organic ... otherwise, I have had my best results with "Original" using salts based nutrients.

Anyway, sorry for rambling there ... see if your guy can get you "Lush." You're already paying top dollar for Stonington. Your guy might be able to sell it locally for a few dollars less.

And in the midst of a nation wide growing boom Sohum has just disappeared.
Possibly the best soil I ever used?
Only got to run it one time with my Stonington. I was totally impressed and would be using it today if it was available.
Happy Frog was I just snagged for my two clones, but I have not installed it yet, more or less seen a whole grow with it.

Based on everything you just stated above, it might be worth chatting with your buddy at your local hydro shop to see if he can start stocking Roots Organic "Lush." It's one of the best commercial potting mixes I have ever used. I stopped using it when prices went over $30.00 a bag locally. I do know where I can pick it up for $20.90 per 1.5 cu/ft bag but I have to make a road trip (1 1/2 hrs round trip) to get it and their open hours makes it difficult. I can still get Roots Organic "Original" locall for under $15.00 a bag out the door. I like the texture of it. It would make a great base for a super soil mix if you wanted to keep things organic ... otherwise, I have had my best results with "Original" using salts based nutrients.

Anyway, sorry for rambling there ... see if your guy can get you "Lush." You're already paying top dollar for Stonington. Your guy might be able to sell it locally for a few dollars less.

Yep I was using Lush before I got into using Stonington. Did some side by side since I like both a lot and only thing I saw was the Lush was a bit lighter and needed watering a little more often but nothing too major. Performance wise they're about the same.
He can get Roots products I know that but I don't think I saw any Lush the last time I visited. His shop is also a Hydrofarm distribution hub for Texas, New Mexico, and Louisiana so he'll need to order it by the pallet. Sometimes he will but there will have to be demand for it other than me and most people here are using Original or Greenfields and may not be aware Lush exists.
When I was using it I was having it shipped in from Michigan.
I also need to check into True Value Hardware since they can get Roots Lush with a ship to store option. I used that during covid when everything was shuttered except for stores like hardware and grocery that stayed open. I can do that for Stonington and only pay $35/bag but the hardware store that will do it is a 2 hour round trip.

Yep I was using Lush before I got into using Stonington. Did some side by side since I like both a lot and only thing I saw was the Lush was a bit lighter and needed watering a little more often but nothing too major. Performance wise they're about the same.
He can get Roots products I know that but I don't think I saw any Lush the last time I visited. His shop is also a Hydrofarm distribution hub for Texas, New Mexico, and Louisiana so he'll need to order it by the pallet. Sometimes he will but there will have to be demand for it other than me and most people here are using Original or Greenfields and may not be aware Lush exists.
When I was using it I was having it shipped in from Michigan.
I also need to check into True Value Hardware since they can get Roots Lush with a ship to store option. I used that during covid when everything was shuttered except for stores like hardware and grocery that stayed open. I can do that for Stonington and only pay $35/bag but the hardware store that will do it is a 2 hour round trip.

I purchase most of my soil and nutrients at Grow Generation where with my grower's account I get a discount and that is why I can get the "Original" for what I do. They don't stock "Lush" either. I've never asked why, but my assumption is due to its cost, it doesn't sell very well. That might be what your guy is up against too.

It's $36 a bag at Ace Hardware right now, with no special sale. If you join their club, they will drive it out to your house for free. That's great when I get 3 bales of promix...........bam, right in the driveway.
Pays to watch for the sale and load up. I've gotten quite a bit from them over the years. COM, Promix, and lots of Miracle-Gro potting soil.

Good thing you're going hydro, right?

ain't gonna lie, the thought crossed my mind.:oops:

It's $36 a bag at Ace Hardware right now, with no special sale. If you join their club, they will drive it out to your house for free. That's great when I get 3 bales of promix...........bam, right in the driveway.
Pays to watch for the sale and load up. I've gotten quite a bit from them over the years. COM, Promix, and lots of Miracle-Gro potting soil.

thanks for the tip Willie!!!! i have a feeling their sales is about to go up. hehe

just ordered four bags, $152.60 delivered.

thanks again Willie!! saved me from probably paying more.

I'm SOL in regards to Ace. None of the local stores carry it or have a ship to store option so they try to get me with a $60+ shipping rate on 4 bags.

I may have a line going thru True Value though. Same deal back during the covid shutdown where it ships out to a general store and livestock supply only 8 miles away.
Won't let me order online and says to call but it's so close and I really like that store. Kinda joint where you can buy baby chicks, a bale of hay, bee keeping supplies, and some old school Levi's 501 jeans lol. Gives me a reason to go out there and browse so I'll go there and ask in person, see if they can special order it for me at only $34/bag. Maybe do another 4 bag order trial run before I make it my go-to source.

Amazon is once again a moving target. The 10 bag dropped from $422 to $367 today.
My recent orders make no damn sense at all.
The last single bag for $33 is taking a long time to get here and it's coming from Colorado.
The 4 bag order arrived this morning and even though the garden store is based in Pa, the bags shipped from Fort Worth so they were pretty much FedEx'ed overnight. Amazon logistics are just weird. 😵‍💫

Won't let me order online and says to call but it's so close and I really like that store. Kinda joint where you can buy baby chicks, a bale of hay, bee keeping supplies, and some old school Levi's 501 jeans lol.
Sounds like a cooler Tractor Supply lol
Grow stuff is just expensive 😒

got the soil delivered from ACE today.. driver was a bit upset with finding my place, i talked to him and he's all good now.

stuff was dry and light, looked clean and didn't look like it was stored outside...

should be good till next spring.. i really like the rewards from ACE though, just from this one order i got $5 plus another $5 off coupon over $15 spent and a 10% off coupon for anything regular priced. and a discount for my birthday!!

002.JPG

got the soil delivered from ACE today.. driver was a bit upset with finding my place, i talked to him and he's all good now.

stuff was dry and light, looked clean and didn't look like it was stored outside...

should be good till next spring.. i really like the rewards from ACE though, just from this one order i got $5 plus another $5 off coupon over $15 spent and a 10% off coupon for anything regular priced. and a discount for my birthday!!

View attachment 72417
Ace has been great for me. COM products are available 45 minutes from me in person. Ace doesn't stock them either but they can get them in 2 days. Which is fine with me.........that keeps them fresh.
I ain't driving 45, lol. I'll wait a few days for the driveway placement.

View attachment 72417
Happy Birthday!

Back
Top Bottom