Live Poet and Creatives Society

ninjadip

Hydro Ninja
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to start this off by sharing something I wrote that is very intimate to me and re-reading this now reflects those memories in a way I want to share with others. Let's share some creative writing here, all formats are welcome. I love literature. Writing has been very therapeutic for me during some of the hardest times of my life.

“A Small Onion'd Window”​

Walking en masse to food alongside everyone else with only that hungry purpose in mind. Back and forth. There is a sidewalk just for us. There are no uniform lines or orderly direction. Only suggestive patterns. This is chow movement. Some walk to leave only to turn around to go again with a different face. The food is bland to suit regulations for the availability to serve almost all needs, especially the very few. It is served hot, or tepid, with one packet of salt and pepper accompanied by a utensil deemed inadequate by certain standards. Sometimes there are pieces of onion, but usually not. They have another purpose. We must walk just right down the concrete path. No one ever runs, while many stop, and others slow to an insatiable crawl. Whistles are blown by men not eating, not walking, different men, at those who walk incorrectly. The klaxons are blown by observers with linear eyesight paid to blow whistles. There are no puffs of visible white smoke to warn of danger, or to signal the end of a shift, these whistles share a purpose as in a game where some can only hope for good calls.

In between chow calls one does whatever is available according to their limiting ethics. Many tattoo the hunger away with things like their own name imprinted on their neck or of names of past lovers who they hope are faithful to the extent that doesn't require blunt awareness. The one receiving the art is usually somewhere else in a paradox of distance and locality. Memories that offer a glimpse of better times go in and out of focus, it is frustratingly hard to hold onto them. It is very difficult to tattoo an already existing memory that will reflect true in the mirror; an exact map to such a defined, distinct, collapsing memory does not truly exist. Several attempts are mandatory. The tools are not the best, but they work, or it is believed by some, with their one color, void of sterility or relief. Once the makeshift gun is held and “loaded” it is an unspoken agreement of what is to be done; more anxious for the gun than talk, there is little talk.

Wherever there is time there are willing participants for exchanges of something. Always there is the noise. One must block it out if not also to have a tattoo. The lookout men are funny types. Poised in conspicuous ways: looking, listening, for them. Eyes and ears for others with nothing left of their own. Their noises are funny. A noise of a siren from an American police car right before the lights hit you, a warning sound used by both sides, is the most common signal. This infamous alarm will forever alert the senses into a hyper awareness that very quickly decides on a flight or fight scenario, especially for those all too familiar with sirens. Even though the noise is artificial it is enough to command a surreal sobriety, along with the memories. The tattoo gun stops. They all look at nude magazines nonchalantly as the officer does the rounds. Because looking at nude women is normal, accepted as our standard behavior, anything else is suspicious. They look and look at the glossy pages with blind eyes, flipping back and forth, holding them at various angles to give the appearance of seeing more, pausing accordingly, exchanging magazines and little else. It is all very calm and casual. No one is overly excited, this time. Everything resumes once again. Resuming to familiarity, comfortable bittersweet familiarity.

Some eat and eat until the eating tires them. Eating and sleeping at close to equal amounts of time. Insulin, or some other drug that is needed, is given to facilitate various ways of passing time. Here the reasons on both sides are perfunctory statistical. It is more obvious here, with limited vision more is apparent, the vision of the world less convoluted. Even here there is more.

Chow is loud, fast, and random. Sunglasses and earplugs are common and indifferently effective. Stealing is normal, sometimes with a different face. Bread, sustenance, of all kinds is stolen and given to the birds: wrens, black birds, haunting seagulls, and evident to all but them. The smaller birds sing, the seagulls bark. Bark for more, bark for smaller, safer, swallowable pieces, bark to fight, bark for being away from their seas, always barking. Only in the winter do the barkers come, away from water, like loud stalking snow that does nothing to cool the body. As opposed to the heartening wrens who like to gracefully hop instead of walk, and lovingly talk as in a purposeful opera. The only food seen on the chow designated walkway is stolen. They all fight for it. Before it hits the ground, before it is reappropriated. They each know when it's their time. Everything is stolen. Even the secure items are stolen. A locked and bolted refrigerator door can be lifted off its hinges and reattached without any adrenaline. Calm and normal as the locked door before and after its tampering. All is stolen. It is normal. Even onions are stolen. Everything that is stolen tastes better than its counterpart, especially if nonexistent.

There is a go-to man for everything. Onions sell for one to two dollars worth of whatever, particularly other food items that are not stolen. They sell to people who would otherwise never buy an onion were they not stolen. They sell to people who have never cooked anything to do with onions. They sell to be easily added to something of independent substance. All one has to do is cut it anyway they can and add it, then they have used the agent in some way, some form. They sell better than meat, cheese, and even wine. There are never enough onions. The smell of them is always there. It finds you like an intelligent, inversely alluring game of hide-n-seek. One smells, looks, and sees nothing of onions, only wavering people. When we leave we will not buy onions. Some will, but not in the same way. Hunting for more tattoos and onions; without tears we are cut. I do not need any part of onions for tears, only a hope of them. A very real, living hope.

I am going to start this off by sharing something I wrote that is very intimate to me and re-reading this now reflects those memories in a way I want to share with others. Let's share some creative writing here, all formats are welcome. I love literature. Writing has been very therapeutic for me during some of the hardest times of my life.

Walking en masse to food alongside everyone else with only that hungry purpose in mind. Back and forth. There is a sidewalk just for us. There are no uniform lines or orderly direction. Only suggestive patterns. This is chow movement. Some walk to leave only to turn around to go again with a different face. The food is bland to suit regulations for the availability to serve almost all needs, especially the very few. It is served hot, or tepid, with one packet of salt and pepper accompanied by a utensil deemed inadequate by certain standards. Sometimes there are pieces of onion, but usually not. They have another purpose. We must walk just right down the concrete path. No one ever runs, while many stop, and others slow to an insatiable crawl. Whistles are blown by men not eating, not walking, different men, at those who walk incorrectly. The klaxons are blown by observers with linear eyesight paid to blow whistles. There are no puffs of visible white smoke to warn of danger, or to signal the end of a shift, these whistles share a purpose as in a game where some can only hope for good calls.

In between chow calls one does whatever is available according to their limiting ethics. Many tattoo the hunger away with things like their own name imprinted on their neck or of names of past lovers who they hope are faithful to the extent that doesn't require blunt awareness. The one receiving the art is usually somewhere else in a paradox of distance and locality. Memories that offer a glimpse of better times go in and out of focus, it is frustratingly hard to hold onto them. It is very difficult to tattoo an already existing memory that will reflect true in the mirror; an exact map to such a defined, distinct, collapsing memory does not truly exist. Several attempts are mandatory. The tools are not the best, but they work, or it is believed by some, with their one color, void of sterility or relief. Once the makeshift gun is held and “loaded” it is an unspoken agreement of what is to be done; more anxious for the gun than talk, there is little talk.

Wherever there is time there are willing participants for exchanges of something. Always there is the noise. One must block it out if not also to have a tattoo. The lookout men are funny types. Poised in conspicuous ways: looking, listening, for them. Eyes and ears for others with nothing left of their own. Their noises are funny. A noise of a siren from an American police car right before the lights hit you, a warning sound used by both sides, is the most common signal. This infamous alarm will forever alert the senses into a hyper awareness that very quickly decides on a flight or fight scenario, especially for those all too familiar with sirens. Even though the noise is artificial it is enough to command a surreal sobriety, along with the memories. The tattoo gun stops. They all look at nude magazines nonchalantly as the officer does the rounds. Because looking at nude women is normal, accepted as our standard behavior, anything else is suspicious. They look and look at the glossy pages with blind eyes, flipping back and forth, holding them at various angles to give the appearance of seeing more, pausing accordingly, exchanging magazines and little else. It is all very calm and casual. No one is overly excited, this time. Everything resumes once again. Resuming to familiarity, comfortable bittersweet familiarity.

Some eat and eat until the eating tires them. Eating and sleeping at close to equal amounts of time. Insulin, or some other drug that is needed, is given to facilitate various ways of passing time. Here the reasons on both sides are perfunctory statistical. It is more obvious here, with limited vision more is apparent, the vision of the world less convoluted. Even here there is more.

Chow is loud, fast, and random. Sunglasses and earplugs are common and indifferently effective. Stealing is normal, sometimes with a different face. Bread, sustenance, of all kinds is stolen and given to the birds: wrens, black birds, haunting seagulls, and evident to all but them. The smaller birds sing, the seagulls bark. Bark for more, bark for smaller, safer, swallowable pieces, bark to fight, bark for being away from their seas, always barking. Only in the winter do the barkers come, away from water, like loud stalking snow that does nothing to cool the body. As opposed to the heartening wrens who like to gracefully hop instead of walk, and lovingly talk as in a purposeful opera. The only food seen on the chow designated walkway is stolen. They all fight for it. Before it hits the ground, before it is reappropriated. They each know when it's their time. Everything is stolen. Even the secure items are stolen. A locked and bolted refrigerator door can be lifted off its hinges and reattached without any adrenaline. Calm and normal as the locked door before and after its tampering. All is stolen. It is normal. Even onions are stolen. Everything that is stolen tastes better than its counterpart, especially if nonexistent.

There is a go-to man for everything. Onions sell for one to two dollars worth of whatever, particularly other food items that are not stolen. They sell to people who would otherwise never buy an onion were they not stolen. They sell to people who have never cooked anything to do with onions. They sell to be easily added to something of independent substance. All one has to do is cut it anyway they can and add it, then they have used the agent in some way, some form. They sell better than meat, cheese, and even wine. There are never enough onions. The smell of them is always there. It finds you like an intelligent, inversely alluring game of hide-n-seek. One smells, looks, and sees nothing of onions, only wavering people. When we leave we will not buy onions. Some will, but not in the same way. Hunting for more tattoos and onions; without tears we are cut. I do not need any part of onions for tears, only a hope of them. A very real, living hope.

Thanks for sharing @ninjadip

...Birth

Thrust into a world anew
Blinding light rains upon
Sounds clear ringing true
Out of the darkness drawn

Inhale and breathe unhindered
Exhale loudly and nude
Atmosphere feels of winter
Comforting warmth removed

Witness sensation of splendor
Sight brings new perspective
With this comes feeling of wonder
Sight and sound collective

All around everything's new
Taking it in as you become you.

Well ain't you an eloquent sumbitch..

Jokes aside, I'm stoked about this place and totally forgot we'd talked about it. Glad I check the corner today. Posts get buried quick over there.

I figured I'd start out with one I wrote about birth. This being the birth of a new thread and all. Hard to follow that beautifully written exposè though.

Remember what they said about how onions are really powerful, "that guy really knows his onions." Ninja you gave us a nice gift, TYVM.

I could have easily been fooled into believing I was reading some Dean Koontz. Love it!
That writing was my first attempt to get published, I was really honing a skill back then I never knew I had. I really appreciate the positive feedback from everyone!
Never did get anything published, but I'm still happy with it all. One day I'd like to write a novel about the times when my dad was ill, there was so much going on back then in my life...

Since my first post was so long here is a short poem from last year, daydreaming about stuff

Strangers and Clouds

Rolling, they float by
Lofty billows of water;
Dragons, strangers, and lovers they are..
or will be.
Against the blue,
They appear majestic.

I have nothing to hide from a prying eye. I do not care about societies opinions and judgements. No matter how harshly meted out, nor how loving and kind.
I am lain bare to you. Each wrinkle upon my weathered face like an old table littered with burns and deep prominent cracks. Each a ring in the wood, a year, a moment, a lifetime.
First kisses to the feel of a dead cold hand of a soul that has elevated.
Aching pains and pure elated joy, tragedy and blessings.
Etched upon my soul like ice crystal designs upon a pane of warm yet cold glass.
My secrets are few and even the deepest are of a time past that have lain deep crevices into the chambers of my heart. Locked away a prisoner of sheer depth and most times purposefully. A choice to forget something the mind will always remember.
The gray stands in my hair, earned. Appreciated even. Means I have lived yet another circle around the sun. Means I have existed to raise creaky painful bones and join the dance.
I have seen the wonders of this world and I have seen hell. Both, strangely beautiful in their own way. Yearning for the bright warm living light, but drawn to the beauty of the hellfire flames.
I have eaten lies like candy. Because the truth hurts just as much. Warm savory healing broth spooned through bloody swollen painful lips.
My hands have touched in gentle kindness and they have been balled into fists of rage. Meting out both empathy and pain.
I have swam the warm ocean waters and felt the hot dry winds of the desert.
Spending my entire life in pure wonder. Questioning why I am here, what is my job? What is my part in this strange place?
Perhaps one will never know, perhaps many will. An enigma she will remain. Whole and yet empty. Alive and yet decidedly deceased.

Last edited:
I have nothing to hide from a prying eye. I do not care about societies opinions and judgements. No matter how harshly meted out, nor how loving and kind.
I am lain bare to you. Each wrinkle upon my weathered face like an old table littered with burns and deep prominent cracks. Each a ring in the wood, a year, a moment, a lifetime.
First kisses to the feel of a dead cold hand of a soul that has elevated. Aching pains and pure elated joy, tragedy and blessings. Etched upon my soul like ice crystal designs upon a pane of warm yet cold glass.
My secrets are few and even the deepest are of a time past that have lain deep crevices into the chambers of my heart. Locked away a prisoner of sheer depth and most times purposefully. A choice to forget.
The gray stands in my hair, earned. Appreciated even. Means I have lived yet another circle around the sun. Means I have existed to raise creaky painful bones and join the dance.
I have seen the wonders of this world and I have seen hell. Both, strangely beautiful in their own way. Yearning for the bright warm living light, but drawn to the beauty of the hellfire flames.
I have eaten lies like candy. Because the truth hurts just as much. Warm savory healing broth spooned through bloody swollen painful lips.
My hands have touched in gentle kindness and they have been balled into fists of rage. Meting out empathy and pain.
I have swam the warm ocean waters and felt the hot dry winds of the desert.
Spending my entire life in pure wonder. Questioning why I am here, what is my job? What is my part in this strange place?
Perhaps one will never know, perhaps many will. An enigma she will remain. Whole and yet empty. Alive and yet decidedly deceased.
Yes!
You sing the body electric!

So I believe I'm allowed to post this because it says public domain, if anyone knows better please let me know so we can get it deleted.

I want to post the first poem that made me interested in poetry. This was by one of our own Laureates. The style, the imagery, the emotions... Just love this poem.

Edit: you know what would be really cool to me would be to not only share our own works but to discuss other works that move us. Idk... Maybe I'm crazy

The Red Wheelbarrow​

BY WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

William Carlos Williams, “The Red Wheelbarrow” from The Collected Poems of William Carlos Williams, Volume I, 1909-1939, edited by Christopher MacGowan. Copyright 1938 by New Directions Publishing Corporation. Public Domain.

So I believe I'm allowed to post this because it says public domain, if anyone knows better please let me know so we can get it deleted.

I want to post the first poem that made me interested in poetry. This was by one of our own Laureates. The style, the imagery, the emotions... Just love this poem.

Edit: you know what would be really cool to me would be to not only share our own works but to discuss other works that move us. Idk... Maybe I'm crazy

The Red Wheelbarrow​

BY WILLIAM CARLOS WILLIAMS

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

William Carlos Williams, “The Red Wheelbarrow” from The Collected Poems of William Carlos Williams, Volume I, 1909-1939, edited by Christopher MacGowan. Copyright 1938 by New Directions Publishing Corporation. Public Domain.
I have never lived on a farm but I am very familiar with the country.

This poem made me feel like I was there .. and feeling the weight that the wheelbarrow has on the farm. So elanglty powerful...

Here is another of mine,

I will not write you, you have written me.
Windy currents cascading love,
A squirrel has emerged from branches breaking,
from twigs snapping, the black cat chased,
and chasing.
What green joy you bring my eyes;
My pen’s interpretation of external sight,
Is forever wrought by our shared plight.

9-4-2013

If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans.”
― James Herriot , All Creatures Great and Small
Man..

On the way home today I had a fly buggin' me to where I eventually took my hat off and started swatting. Several near squishes later, it started hiding in the window's crevice. It literally started taunting me by popping out an inch or two and right back in, 4 or five times repeatedly. After a couple missed swats and a bump or two, I then waited for the opportune moment. It never emerged. I told the wife "This fly is fuckin' with me. I'm just waiting for him to pop back out."

It did not. I looked left, in the corner, and it buzzed back out and back in, quickly, one time. Like it was sitting there waiting for me to notice it'd crawled a foot or so down the crevice and was planning to surprise me when I looked over.

I gave up. I told her that and said "It's like he's sentient. He can have a pass."

The fly seemed to have left me alone and a few minutes later, I looked out the window while crossing a bridge. The fly was exactly to the left of where I looked, on the door now. My peripherals caught it and when my focus shifted and I looked at it, it was facing directly at me. It surprised me, no doubt.

Happy coincidence, or not. Either way, I agree Granny.

Man..

On the way home today I had a fly buggin' me to where I eventually took my hat off and started swatting. Several near squishes later, it started hiding in the window's crevice. It literally started taunting me by popping out an inch or two and right back in, 4 or five times repeatedly. After a couple missed swats and a bump or two, I then waited for the opportune moment. It never emerged. I told the wife "This fly is fuckin' with me. I'm just waiting for him to pop back out."

It did not. I looked left, in the corner, and it buzzed back out and back in, quickly, one time. Like it was sitting there waiting for me to notice it'd crawled a foot or so down the crevice and was planning to surprise me when I looked over.

I gave up. I told her that and said "It's like he's sentient. He can have a pass."

The fly seemed to have left me alone and a few minutes later, I looked out the window while crossing a bridge. The fly was exactly to the left of where I looked, on the door now. My peripherals caught it and when my focus shifted and I looked at it, it was facing directly at me. It surprised me, no doubt.

Happy coincidence, or not. Either way, I agree Granny.
I get you man... Sometimes it feels undeniable that the universe is alive in a very different way than we often give it credit for.

Shit's wild sometimes for sure

That fly story reminds me of a weird video game called mr. Mosquito, where you are a mosquito... You must be covert and only suck enough blood not to alert your human host. It was a little bit of a mind bender

Back
Top Bottom