Male and Female Spinach in my garden. Still learning, LOL!

IamN2pot

Dank Daredevil
Reaction score
Spinach. I've had no luck growing spinach until this year. The first couple of attempts, nothing ever germinated. Last year, I planted a small 1 foot plot of 50ish seeds. A few grew, but went straight to bolt and I yanked them. This year I planted 2 varieties. The first was so slow to germinate, so I planted the 2nd variety. They both germinated, but the slow to germinate went right to bolt, again. The other patch came right up and has been sweet. Loads of leaves and after nearly 2 months, is just starting to bolt. But back to the first ones. This time I was lazy and didn't pull the ones that were starting to flower. Then last week I noticed what looked to me like 2 sexes of the plant. One had loads of pollen, just shake it. It's sisters were indeed female with pistils that look somewhat like the pistils in cannabis, and seed clusters. The old man 👨‍🌾 is still learning from my experiances in my gardens. Here is a video from a youtuber showing it. Note the ratio if M to F, about 10-1. Same in my spinach. I wish we could get those ratios in 'regular' weed seeds. :geek:
Enjoy the 5 minute video.

Back
Top Bottom