Middle-Aged Men & Women's usage of alcohol and weed increasing

SiamSam

Hide the Roaches
Bud Builders Supporter
Reaction score

Middle-Aged Adults Are Binge Drinking and Using Marijuana at Record Levels; some of the denizens of this site may or may not believe in 'the media' but....this article seems to resinate with me.​

Matt Richtel
By Matt Richtel
Published Aug. 17, 2023Updated Aug. 19, 2023
  • Share full article

The News​

Binge drinking among adults aged 35 to 50 occurred at record prevalence in 2022, according to research funded by the National Institutes of Health. A new study found that nearly 30 percent of people in this age group reported binge drinking in 2022, continuing a consistent upward trend in the behavior. In 2012, 23 percent of such adults reported binge drinking.
Use of marijuana in this group also reached historic levels, with 28 percent reporting the behavior, up from 13 percent in 2012. In 2022, 4 percent of adults in this group reported using a hallucinogen, double the figure in 2021.
The survey also looked at behavior among adults 19 to 30 years old. For this group, use of marijuana in 2022 was significantly greater, at 44 percent, up from 28 percent in 2012. But their self-reported binge drinking had fallen to 30.5 percent, down from 35.2 percent a decade earlier.

A row of customers sit at a bar with a wall of bottles behind it. A bartender pours a beer from a tap.

A recent study found that alcohol-related deaths among women are rising at a faster rate than among men.Credit...Damian Dovarganes/Associated Press

A row of customers sit at a bar with a wall of bottles behind it. A bartender pours a beer from a tap.

Why It Matters: Alcohol-related deaths have risen among people 65 and older.​

Different generations use different drugs and at different levels. “Drug use trends evolve over decades and across development, from adolescent to adulthood,” said Megan Patrick, a research professor at the University of Michigan and principal investigator on the study, known as Monitoring the Future.
The research has been supported since 1975 by the National Institutes of Drug Abuse, or NIDA, which is a part of the N.I.H. NIDA typically draws attention for its study of behavior and drug use patterns among young people in middle and high school. But the research also follows people throughout their lives, looking at the use of alcohol, marijuana, cigarettes and other substances.
“It’s important to track this so that public health professionals and communities can be prepared to respond,” Dr. Patrick said.
The implications of what drugs a generation tends to use can be significant. For instance, a recent study found that alcohol-related deaths continued to increase among people 65 and older, with deaths among women in this age group rising at a faster rate than among men.

What’s Next​

The study suggests that substance-use behavior is heavily influenced by the culture of a generation and the legal status of various drugs at various periods of life. For instance, among the adults aged 35 to 50, the 50-year-olds had tried marijuana the least — only 68 percent of them reported having used it sometime in their life. “These respondents graduated from high school in 1990, when marijuana and other drugs were at or near historical lows across the past four decades, suggesting a cohort effect,” the study noted.
Nora Volkow, the director of NIDA, said in a news release that the data from this study and others like it can inform how health officials and individuals address the risks posed at different life stages. “We want to ensure that people from the earliest to the latest stages in adulthood are equipped with up-to-date knowledge to help inform decisions related to substance abuse,” Dr. Volkow said.
Matt Richtel is a best-selling author and Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter based in San Francisco. He joined The Times in 2000, and his work has focused on science, technology, business and narrative-driven storytelling around these issues. More about Matt Richtel

Makes me wish I had a drink now..
I would think as the stigma and laws change marijuana use will go up, it's just natural.

I remember our state let you pick up open cocktails to go during COVID, made it too easy to drink more. I would drive home with 4-6 $3 margaritas on Monday, heck they even had straws in them already

Wasnt open container per se but we sold a shitload of cocktails w takeout during covid. Put them in the juice pouches like capri sun.
I know the delivery services were allowed to deliver alcohol but in sealed bottles and cans not Margaritas with straws in them.

I too imbibed enough alcohol I had to quit for 4 months to dry out. Now I drink XX Dos equis or bud light, 4.2 is all I need at 64. Cheers SSgrower

I know the delivery services were allowed to deliver alcohol but in sealed bottles and cans not Margaritas with straws in them.
Texas has drive up bars where you can get mixed drinks. Comes in a styrofoam cup with a straw, and it's in a sealed bag. Technically it's not an open container until you puncture the straw through the bag.

Texas has drive up bars where you can get mixed drinks. Comes in a styrofoam cup with a straw, and it's in a sealed bag. Technically it's not an open container until you puncture the straw through the bag.
Indeed we do!

o.jpg

Those places also sell jello shots and loaded gummies that come in a box that looks like a Happy Meal.
Most restaurants also sell some form of booze to go down here. Also drive thru liquor stores.

And IDK if there's other towns that have them but Las Vegas has drive thru weed dispensaries!

Indeed we do!

View attachment 22137

Those places also sell jello shots and loaded gummies that come in a box that looks like a Happy Meal.
Most restaurants also sell some form of booze to go down here. Also drive thru liquor stores.

And IDK if there's other towns that have them but Las Vegas has drive thru weed dispensaries!
Maine has drive through liquor stores, not sure on dispensaries tho. Im sure they do!

I'm probably the last person on the planet who doesn't like drive-thru anything. Not even banks!

A while back, I was depositing some checks and getting cash back, so I put the checks and driver's license in that capsule, then sent it up that tube... Oops! It was the 1 in a million time when the capsule gets stuck in the tube! On Saturday! When no one is going to extract my DL from it until Monday!

Now, a few years later, the tellers at my credit union know everything about me and me about them. Which reminds me, it's almost Tina's daughter's birthday. I'll have to get her a card.

Indeed we do!

View attachment 22137

We have drive through dispensaries. You can go online, make the order and pick it up at a drive through.
I think one of the other reasons we are seeing increased numbers is the legalization in so many states. I know a ton of people here that would never touch the stuff. After it became “legal” they have no qualms about it. Shocking in fact!

We have drive through dispensaries. You can go online, make the order and pick it up at a drive through.
I think one of the other reasons we are seeing increased numbers is the legalization in so many states. I know a ton of people here that would never touch the stuff. After it became “legal” they have no qualms about it. Shocking in fact!
Sometimes I wonder about those that say they never touch the stuff but as soon as it goes legal they're like....

multi joint.jpg

I’m all about a muffalotta from Parian’s in Metairie!
Love me some NOLA!!!
Brunch at the Ruby Slipper then late dinner at Acme Oyster House or any one of the really good oyster bars in the Quarter is our jam when we stay in that town

Metairie must be the place! When I was in the area for work, the locals suggested places in Metairie, not in N.O. Drago's in Metairie is the one we tried - unbelievable for roasted oysters.
I know where that is. It’s lakefront. Most say the tourist trap of NOLA is not the best and often times not authentic.
My Hubby is a NOLA native and yet we always go to Metairie to eat.

It's funny how this discussion on alcohol and weed use among the middle aged quickly turned to food.

My wife and I are about to drive off to Pictured Rocks on the U.P. for a couple of days. I'm tempted to add a stop in Metairie. It's not that far out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom