Simple Hack takes RSO up to Distillate Quality

CHSAdmin

Dope Dynamo
Reaction score
Greetings,

New here, steamroller invited me to share this with y'all.

If you make RSO/FECO, there is a very simple hack that can be done in making RSO/FECO that has huge ramifications on cost and quality. I've spent the last three years developing this and am publishing it for free, for everyone to use. This simple change will take the Total Cannabinoids from the mid 30s to high 70s. Now, you can take 2oz cured plant and have vape-able decarbed winterized oil in under 2 hours. Here's the web page and demo video.

Remember, there's nothing for sale, its all free. I created this for home bound MMJ patients needing to make their meds faster, cleaper and more potent.

Let me know your thoughts. If you like this, pass it on.

Cheers!

Chrt-Rice Oil Number 1 img001.jpg

Great info here.
I like the idea of boiling of the alcohol with water.
Besides the added benefit you have found it just seems safer for those who are apprehensive.
I personally have smoked RSO for a long time. Found out about RSO and isomerization back in the 80's
I find if you can let it cure with air it gets smoother. You seem to have saved a ton of time.
I also sometimes mix it back to a little good herb, then the ISO would off gas/ evaporate quicker.
Will be giving this a try soon.
Thanks~!

This is very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing CHS and welcome to our growers home!

I would have to think about this quite a bit before I ever tried it since I use a distiller to re-collect all my alcohol. I would need to adapt what you are doing to be able to reclaim the alcohol, or at least most of it.

I am curious how many grams of oil you are getting per ounce of flower? Seems to me this would throw off all my numbers (in a good way) because it's getting rid of all the unwanted stuff and would be more concentrated.

Gonna study this a lot more hopefully before I have to make oil again and may give it a try!

Thank you again CHS!

I would have to think about this quite a bit before I ever tried it since I use a distiller to re-collect all my alcohol. I would need to adapt what you are doing to be able to reclaim the alcohol, or at least most of it.
I recently got a distiller like yours [maybe same one].
It has the adjustable temperature setting.
We know alcohol will boil off before water.
If you set the distiller at 200-210 the alcohol would evaporate first.
I plan on doing this with measured amount of alcohol so I can know [ since you can't see in the distiller] when I have come close to full recovery.
Does make sense? I think it will work with tweaks regarding temperature. I noticed in the video his thermometer read 210.

Yea, it is quite different from what I am used to but I like it!

That's a bit hotter than I like to go, generally I go 84C (183F) which is just slightly hotter than alcohol requires, not close to water boiling point temps for sure.

I recently got a distiller like yours [maybe same one].
It has the adjustable temperature setting.
We know alcohol will boil off before water.
If you set the distiller at 200-210 the alcohol would evaporate first.
I plan on doing this with measured amount of alcohol so I can know [ since you can't see in the distiller] when I have come close to full recovery.
Does make sense? I think it will work with tweaks regarding temperature. I noticed in the video his thermometer read 210.

Yes, perfect sense. I am wondering if that is necessary or even accurate since we are not getting 100% of the alcohol back during filtration and distillation.

I know my distiller will shut off when the alcohol is almost completely boiled off and if you have your temps down in that 84C range, I would imagine it would leave all the water once the alcohol is almost gone and the unit shuts off, it may even get more alcohol boiled off. I typically leave a bit of the alcohol in the oil so it's not so thick getting it out of the distiller, then boil that off on a stir plate. I'm pretty sure that shut off on the distiller is linked to the temp setting and when it starts to get too high over that, it shuts down.

That, at least in my mind, would save you having to be able to see inside the distiller or having to measure alcohol and try to estimate how much you lost during the process.

Make sense?

I would think the distiller will not overheat causing a shut off with water in it?
If it is linked to the temperature that would be even easier.
Off to read the owners manual.

I would think the distiller will not overheat causing a shut off with water in it?
I do think it would but I could be wrong. If you are set to 84C and it gets much hotter than that, it will shut down, you just have to keep an eye on it because it will shut down, BUT, if you leave it, when it cools it will turn back on and go through the process all over again. I try not to let it do that because I am not sure how hot it will get doing that and I don't want to damage the terps.

My distiller is a megahome oil distiller not the water distiller. The oil distiller has a lower watt heating element. Mine has a auto shutoff that worked last batch because i would half distill 2 batches and then mix them together and boil that off.

Normally i would dump the washed material into the collection container and mark that level with a piece of scotch tape. The top of the tape at the liquid level and then i would stop the boil off when the recovered alcohol level was half way up the tape. The level has just reached the bottom of the tape in the picture, almost ready to turn it of

20210801_141444.jpg

Last edited:
This is very interesting indeed! Thanks for sharing CHS and welcome to our growers home!

I am curious how many grams of oil you are getting per ounce of flower? Seems to me this would throw off all my numbers (in a good way) because it's getting rid of all the unwanted stuff and would be more concentrated.

Gonna study this a lot more hopefully before I have to make oil again and may give it a try!

Thank you again CHS!
Howdy,

You can use a distiller as long as it has some form of temperature control. I'm writing a 'Shop Manual' that covers the various steps and it goes into detail on distillers. Years ago, I bought a water distiller for making oil, but now use a small 3 gallon moonshine still for alcohol recover. For distillers, here's how I run mine. I set the stop temp for 82c/179f. This way, it runs until the alcohol/water ratio changes. Once it shuts down, swap capture jars. This jar will have the highest alcohol concentration. Then set it for 98c/208f and let it run to completion. Add ice to the boiler to drop the temp to 10c/50f and the oils go solid. This lets you pour out the waste water through a coffee filter basket and not lose oil. The basket saves any floating oils or sediments. Now place the basket in the boiler, add 1-2oz of 95% ethanol, turn it on for a few seconds to heat up the boiler. Then dissolve all the oils and sediments in the boiler and the coffee filter basket. If you have utensils with oil, recover that oil by washing them clean in the boiler. You are now ready for Rapid Winterization.

On grams per oz, normal expectation is 2g per oz. With this process using water distilling and rapid winterization, I'm seeing about 1.5-2g per oz. This process eliminates water solubles and the waxes via winterization. So the quantity goes down as much as 25% worst case, but the Total Cannabinoids goes up to as high as 79%, just under distillates that start at 80%. Some of the loss is from the emulsion in the waste water. You can boil out the water and reclaim that but it smells like dried dog piss. HAHAHAH.. I'm not kidding. The water solubles are the nasty part that gets boiled into standard RSO/FECO, but removed via the waste water. Once you boil out the water, you can save that oil for cooking.

My distiller is a megahome oil distiller not the water distiller. The oil distiller has a lower watt heating element. Mine has a auto shutoff that worked last batch because i would half distill 2 batches and then mix them together and boil that off.

Normally i would dump the washed material into the collection container and mark that level with a piece of scotch tape. The top of the tape at the liquid level and then i would stop the boil off when the recovered alcohol level was half way up the tape. The level has just reached the bottom of the tape in the picture, almost ready to turn it of

View attachment 1168
Megahome alcohol distillers are definitely better for using less heat. For water distillers, here's a hack a friend and I worked out back in 2019. His solution was better than mine! Check this out, its an add-on water cooled condenser. It adds the cooling power to recondense the alcohol at the level of a moonshine still. He says he gets back about 98% of the alcohol poured into the boiler.

I run a turbo source and sometimes can only get 151 proof everclear - lots more water than the 200 - I’ll try this as well - with the 151 I felt I got a more full spectrum oil ? And the nasty shit dropped out of the water - looked bad bud end product was good

I run a turbo source and sometimes can only get 151 proof everclear - lots more water than the 200 - I’ll try this as well - with the 151 I felt I got a more full spectrum oil ? And the nasty shit dropped out of the water - looked bad bud end product was good
I'm out of my league here because I've never worked with source turbo, but have seen many videos. Under vacuum you set the heat source for 105f? I am curious if that's enough to get to water's boiling point. Guidence from Extract Craft says stay away from water. They also stop the reduction near the end then finish drying on a silicon mat. How does 151 work for you? Curious how you've deal with the water at the end.

I'm out of my league here because I've never worked with source turbo, but have seen many videos. Under vacuum you set the heat source for 105f? I am curious if that's enough to get to water's boiling point. Guidence from Extract Craft says stay away from water. They also stop the reduction near the end then finish drying on a silicon mat. How does 151 work for you? Curious how you've deal with the water at the end.
Same silicone mat and a fan at the end the water seems to trap all the fats shit - finished oil and the shit left in water

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom