Tom’s garden of weeden

TomH

Herb Hitman
Reaction score
Pick-ax, shovels, sledgehammers, rotohammer, and a ton of elbow grease ( do they squeak?), the garden is beginning to look filled in.

Buried up on the hill, among artichokes, asparagus, beans, corn, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, berries and a ton of flowers is one little pot plant.

It’s an indica, not expected to be a tree, but I’m curious as to how big it might get in the daylong sun here. Squash leaves get about 18” across here I don’t know if that’s normal, it seems huge to me and I grew the stuff in so cal years ago IMG_8810.jpegIMG_8807.jpegIMG_8808.jpegIMG_8806.jpegIMG_8805.jpegIMG_8804.jpegIMG_8803.jpegIMG_8802.jpegIMG_8785.jpegIMG_8784.jpegIMG_8786.jpegIMG_8787.jpegIMG_8771.jpeg

Very nice.

I always struggled with should I put the good side of the fence to me or the neighbor. Looks like you have a solution there.

I always figured if you are putting up the fence you get the ugly side. Although, when I replaced mine years ago I did it the way it already was. One side of the yard I have the nice side and the other side I have the ugly side. Then my back is the nice side facing me because I live on a creek and have no neighbors back there

Very nice.

I always struggled with should I put the good side of the fence to me or the neighbor. Looks like you have a solution there.
The fence and the Italian cypress trees were here when my GF bought the place. Apparently the fence blew over in a wind storm the year before we got here and the neighbors nearly came to blows over who needed to pay for it.
I’m not sure but I think the wood used was the cheapest possible, it bends and twists in the heat here. The fence will need to be replaced again soon.
The cedars were under cared for, for years it looks like. They will probably always looks threadbare!

How do you tend to the higher plants near the fence
We have filled in some of the dirt lockers to be steps/walkways so we can climb up.
We can also go up along the fences, but that’s a 35 degree slope, it’s not easy there.
Even climbing the steps in the lockers, we’ve both biffed a few times. Old people with bruises! Ouch!

We have filled in some of the dirt lockers to be steps/walkways so we can climb up.
We can also go up along the fences, but that’s a 35 degree slope, it’s not easy there.
Even climbing the steps in the lockers, we’ve both biffed a few times. Old people with bruises! Ouch!
Must be tough but it's a beautiful sight. Wish I could fit one.

I've heard variegated plants photosynthesis less is this true?
I don’t know, but I should be able to tell as its growing side by side with a non-variegated plant of the same genus-species. I do know that the leaves on the variegated plant are about 50% larger than any of the others and larger than any I’ve ever seen. If I can get a feel for how many and what quality the produce are, maybe I can settle that question. At the very least, if they produce similar amounts and qualities, the larger leave would seem to be required to account for reduced chlorophyll in the grayer areas.

I've heard variegated plants photosynthesis less is this true?
Depends on the severity but minimally usually… in cannabis some genetics are variegated but none the less more than worth it to run

Rather than start a duplicate thread for a new year, I thought I would just roll this one over for the coming 2024 northern hemisphere growing season.

Tomatoes paired with marigolds, corn and zucchini, potatoes and garlic, but the asparagus and especially artichokes don’t play well with others and demand their own digs.

One cannabis plant will join the party early next month.

We have a few perennials, mostly on the flower, succulent and cacti side. Our edibles are all annuals and just getting growing.
We had a rough couple nights down in the thirties but we’re warming now. IMG_5190.jpegIMG_5191.jpegIMG_5197.jpegIMG_5193.jpegIMG_5195.jpegIMG_5196.jpegIMG_5194.jpegIMG_5198.jpegIMG_5186.jpegIMG_5181.jpegIMG_5184.jpegIMG_5182.jpegIMG_5220.jpegIMG_5222.jpegIMG_5234.jpegIMG_5235.jpegIMG_5236.jpegIMG_5237.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5238.jpeg
    IMG_5238.jpeg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom