24-48 hours darkness before harvest

I have opinions that may go a bit against the grain…. As with everything the benefit or detrimental effects are in the dose with a lot of contributing factors….

More microbes is not equal to better… with increased bioactivity comes increased demands for o2 and higher co2 production in the rootzone both of which are very important. Then trying to balance the boom bust of population that can cause PH swings and other issues. The speed of reproduction and die is quite amazing.

There are many different species that all perform specific functions. Further to this molasses will attract a few of these but not all.

Do i feel like molasses is always a benefit….. absolutely not and here is why. The only time a benefit can be seen through nutrients (not PGRs) is if there is a deficiency of a nutrient to begin with. Much like ppl and multivitamins or supplements we are led to believe that say potassium helps regulate water flow so we should supplement it…. But thats just plain wrong.

Can molasses be beneficial….. it absolutely can and I believe the way @CannaGranny and @B2ACG use it is likely to be beneficial…. I cannot say if its needed but a small regular dose may help for some.

-This all boils down to chemistry really.

-Microbes are not microbes they are vastly different and perform very different functions specific to the individual.

-adding molasses does not magically make certain microbes appear they already exist and it will simply cause a population increase of certain species which can be good or bad.

I was a nay sayer on the molasses for many years but if used in a light regular dose i can see there may be some benefit.

Organic nutrients themselves leads to reduced salts which n the soil. But remember salts are not what many of us think… its a chemical term and even microbes break nutrients down in chemical salts before being dissolved into water and into ionic form. Plants only take up nutrients in ionic form.

Personally i feel like organics is a bit of a sham in terms of the bullshit we are fed. But no denying its better for the environment.

I have no dog in the fight… and like most things it can be beneficial when used properly and for the right reasons…. Likewise it can create issues when used to much.

TLDR: molasses can be beneficial in the right circumstances but not all circumstances. Important note is what @CannaGranny said un-Sulphured is the really important part with light regular doses to prevent a boom bust and the complications that come with it
Thanks @Aqua Man - That's pretty much what I've read about it elsewhere. I appreciate you taking the time to write about it. I also don't have a dog in the fight. This is too much fuss over two little tablespoons, and I'm too old to fight about anything. Fighting's bad for the health.

Peace.

Thanks @Aqua Man - That's pretty much what I've read about it elsewhere. I appreciate you taking the time to write about it. I also don't have a dog in the fight. This is too much fuss over two little tablespoons, and I'm too old to fight about anything. Fighting's bad for the health.

Peace.
No fights just discussions and opinions…. Opinions come from years of experience and knowledge and we all will have slightly different opinions depending on how we do things and our experiences with that.

I have no doubt that in many ppls experience molasses is a benefit more often than not when done right and in soil… especially because it effects nutrient ratios so if using it and you have your nutrients dialled then its now not just beneficial but a requirement per se.

Whereas someone else who has things dialled in without it may not see a benefit.

This goes a long way to the problems we often see when newer growers take bits and pieces of different advice and try to patch them together…. More often than not it causes a lot of issues.

When trying a new method or new to a style of grow its best to find someone who is successful at it and copy it to the letter…. After all growers like @CannaGranny have spent years upon years honing their style in and its shows…. She has put all the work in and sharing freely all that experience and if followed to the letter almost all but guarantees a successful grow.

but if your into learning at the possible cost of success then by all means mix match and try new things. This is my style… fuck around and learn shit for my own… im stubborn, curious and have a need to understand how things work. So for me it’s mostly about pushing the envelope and making mistakes…. Im gonna go out on a limb and say im not the only one here like that…. Cough cough @Moe.Red

@Aqua Man - We mostly think alike. I like to try different things. I have chosen a style, though, and that's close to @Shaded's method. It's working for me, but I might try other methods in the future. It's important to keep in mind that we make decisions for ourselves, and we need to understand that we must live with the consequences of those decisions. There are many ways to grow cannabis successfully. No one should be upset because their advice isn't chosen. It's impossible to follow everyone's advice.

Not gonna lie you came across far more condescending and full of yourself than him. Nothing he said deserves a vague threat to ban him. This is the picture of bad moderation and imo a forums quickest downfall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not gonna lie you came across far more condescending and full of yourself than him. Nothing he said deserves a vague threat to ban him. This is the picture of bad moderation and imo a forums quickest downfall.
This is an ongoing thing that you know little about. But you are right, I should not have threatened to ban him. I have removed that post. Sorry you were subjected to a pissy attitude.

Last edited:
There's often more to it than meets the eyes.

Hobo, you speak with little knowledge

There's often more to it than meets the eyes.

Hobo, you speak with little knowledge
I actually took the time to look through all his posts and not just in this tread, to make sure I wasn’t risking the ire of mods to defend a troll lol.

I wasn’t trying to start anything, I’d have said the same thing to my best friend. I want this place to grow and imo moderation is the most important part of forums. I’ve passed on joining several forums because moderators threw there weight around.

Admittedly if I have any hang ups as a person it’s a sensitivity to how people wield power. It was meant as an honest constructive criticism. Sorry. I will let this drop here.

I actually took the time to look through all his posts and not just in this tread, to make sure I wasn’t risking the ire of mods to defend a troll lol.
@GrowHobo, he is a she.

I appreciate your honest response to my query.

Ruling with a iron fist isn't something we want either

No fights just discussions and opinions…. Opinions come from years of experience and knowledge and we all will have slightly different opinions depending on how we do things and our experiences with that.

I have no doubt that in many ppls experience molasses is a benefit more often than not when done right and in soil… especially because it effects nutrient ratios so if using it and you have your nutrients dialled then its now not just beneficial but a requirement per se.

Whereas someone else who has things dialled in without it may not see a benefit.

This goes a long way to the problems we often see when newer growers take bits and pieces of different advice and try to patch them together…. More often than not it causes a lot of issues.

When trying a new method or new to a style of grow its best to find someone who is successful at it and copy it to the letter…. After all growers like @CannaGranny have spent years upon years honing their style in and its shows…. She has put all the work in and sharing freely all that experience and if followed to the letter almost all but guarantees a successful grow.

but if your into learning at the possible cost of success then by all means mix match and try new things. This is my style… fuck around and learn shit for my own… im stubborn, curious and have a need to understand how things work. So for me it’s mostly about pushing the envelope and making mistakes…. Im gonna go out on a limb and say im not the only one here like that…. Cough cough @Moe.Red
guilty.

with regards to molasses - when doing tissue culture carbs in the media are a requirement because of the nature of the process, the clones cannot photosynthesize and therefore cannot produce the carbs necessary to grow tissue. We don't use molasses but the carbs are a requirement.

Once the plants are photosynthesizing the plant will put up to 17% of the sugars it creates into the root zone to feed bennies. An equilibrium is formed between the plant and the rhizosphere. I like to get out of it's way as I am not clear on the myriad of interactions in the roots.

guilty.

with regards to molasses - when doing tissue culture carbs in the media are a requirement because of the nature of the process, the clones cannot photosynthesize and therefore cannot produce the carbs necessary to grow tissue. We don't use molasses but the carbs are a requirement.

Once the plants are photosynthesizing the plant will put up to 17% of the sugars it creates into the root zone to feed bennies. An equilibrium is formed between the plant and the rhizosphere. I like to get out of it's way as I am not clear on the myriad of interactions in the roots.
Yes exactly…. And the benefit to molasses is that of the nutrients it contains

I just harvested 11 plants in 2-3 months, I tried both ways, my customers/patients could tell no difference, I could not. So, if you wanna. try it. SSgrower I will say homostasis is the goal

I think I can bust some of that right now.

CBG is the precursor molecule to both CBD and THC. But it does not work backwards as a degrading process. THC becomes CBN as it breaks down.

I dry/cure in the dark to try to maintain as much of the essence of the plant while alive as possible. Heat and light will drive off a lot of terps from the finished cured product.

But in terms of when to harvest during a light/dark cycle? I think there are too many variables to make a blanket statement.
I've heard that harvesting right before first light or lights on is the best because the terpene levels are at thier highest in the morning and you have the fresh resin that was produced over night, and photosynthesis hasn't been happening, and all these things supposedly help you have a better flavor... can't corroborate that since my ass isn't getting up at 3 am to start harvest lol.

I've heard that harvesting right before first light or lights on is the best because the terpene levels are at thier highest in the morning and you have the fresh resin that was produced over night, and photosynthesis hasn't been happening, and all these things supposedly help you have a better flavor... can't corroborate that since my ass isn't getting up at 3 am to start harvest lol.
OK, so this makes a lot of sense to me, why they operate on patients first thing in the morning all things being equal -- You would think this is true, but it falls into the 'untested by triple blind study' and not officially endorsed by the www.Mud Guilders.com quality guild. Watering at night before the plants go to nighty night night vs watering/feeding in the am when they wake up is another one that falls in this category of known unknowns.

OK, so this makes a lot of sense to me, why they operate on patients first thing in the morning all things being equal -- You would think this is true, but it falls into the 'untested by triple blind study' and not officially endorsed by the www.Mud Guilders.com quality guild. Watering at night before the plants go to nighty night night vs watering/feeding in the am when they wake up is another one that falls in this category of known unknowns.
Well the surgery thing is so you can fast and they can operate without fear of you throwing up food while under anesthesia and asphyxiating yourself... but yeah, plant's stop certain processes at night and start others... so it makes logical sense... dunno if it would be a noticeable difference, you'd have to do a side by side comparison of clones or something.

Last edited:
I see folks got very heated about this... sometimes we have to just agree to disagree. There's a million ways to grow our medicine and what works for one may not work for another. As far as I'm concerned, unless there has been a legitimate study, preferably several, done to prove or disprove a certain technique as beneficial... it's bro science, opinion, preference, whatever you want to call it... but science is science... you can't have an opinion different than something that's been proven and be true and factual and claim it as fact... unless you can prove your hypothesis. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe something we should keep in mind when we are involving ourselves in a community like this is that text is very one dimensional. Sometimes a feeling is not conveyed or is understood in a different way then was intended. Emojis help.

Patience and giving the benefit of the doubt are good ways of misunderstandings not spiraling out of control. Some comments I've read I've wanted to respond to only to realize my response would not be productive and would not solve anything other than propping up my ego.

I have no idea of what is or what went on behind the scenes so I'm not going to pass judgement. Honestly, when Amnesia first signed up I was a bit wary. It was when all the Farm stupidity was still happening. For whatever reason Amnesias posts seemed kind of disingenuous and I thought she/he may be a Logic minion but I decided to hold off on judgement. After reading and replying to his/her posts I realized this wasn't the case. Had I acted on my first instincts I would have been wrong in my analysis and would have wrongfully taken a negative attitude towards him/her.

Now that I've read through some of his/her posts I understand his/her communication style and the reasons for his/her line of inquiry.

Maybe something we should keep in mind when we are involving ourselves in a community like this is that text is very one dimensional. Sometimes a feeling is not conveyed or is understood in a different way then was intended. Emojis help.

Patience and giving the benefit of the doubt are good ways of misunderstandings not spiraling out of control. Some comments I've read that I've wanted to respond to only to realize my response would not be productive and would not solve anything other than propping up my ego.

I have no idea of what is or what went on behind the scenes so I'm not going to pass judgement. Honestly, when Amnesia first signed up I was a bit wary. It was when all the Farm stupidity was still happening. For whatever reason Amnesias posts seemed kind of disingenuous and I thought she/he may be a Logic minion but I decided to hold off on judgement. After reading and replying to his/her posts I realized this wasn't the case. Had I acted on my first instincts I would have been wrong in my analysis and would have wrongfully taken a negative attitude towards him/her.

Now that I've read through some of his/her posts I understand his/her communication style and the reasons for his/her line of inquiry.
Excellent point RR, which makes our 2-dimensional world fairly one-dimensional when you get right down to it. This site has and will have its conflicts and some will rub others the wrong way. We hold this truth to be self-evident: (you fill in blank _____________here)

This molasses thing sure got weird in a hurry. I only made a casual comment. I didn't expect to discuss molasses in this thread and wasn't seeking advice. I also wasn't advocating its use. I used it because I read about it in another thread, and, as I initially wrote, I'm curious about it. All I did was add two tablespoons to one watering for one plant. I can't go back in time to remove it from the soil. I didn't think it would be such a big deal. I still have some questions, but I promise not to discuss them here.

Thanks. I'm a woman.

We all come from diverse backgrounds and our life circumstances are varied. I don't know why people are so suspicious of me. I'm just living my life. Like everyone else, I have my challenges. I'll admit that I'm hesitant to be open about my life. I have my reasons. I hope those reasons will be respected. @Moe.Red, I'll PM you.

I don't know how many here are worried about Logic, but I think it would be best if people avoided overt suspicions. He can't harm anyone here. Suspicion of ordinary members will do more harm to this forum than he could ever do. I believe I was among the first to be invited here by @Moe.Red, but I didn't understand the situation, so I hesitated. Then his PM to me was deleted and I couldn't remember the name of this site. People shouldn't read too much into that. I had only been a member of that forum for about 8 months and that was my first cannabis forum. I was confused. It's that simple.

Patience and giving the benefit of the doubt are good ways of misunderstandings not spiraling out of control. Some comments I've read I've wanted to respond to only to realize my response would not be productive and would not solve anything other than propping up my ego.

Missed a few pronouns haha 😆 just kidding but I get your point. I try to give everyone a free pass til they revoke it on their own merit.

Even then I can find common grounds to agree on and meet in the middle...or avoid the person. It takes quite a bit to truly get the middle finger from me. Hell I flip my friends off, you might get the middle finger because you are a buddy....the serious firm middle finger is a hard thing to get from me 😁

This molasses thing sure got weird in a hurry. I only made a casual comment. I didn't expect to discuss molasses in this thread and wasn't seeking advice. I also wasn't advocating its use. I used it because I read about it in another thread, and, as I initially wrote, I'm curious about it. All I did was add two tablespoons to one watering for one plant. I can't go back in time to remove it from the soil. I didn't think it would be such a big deal. I still have some questions, but I promise not to discuss them here.

Thanks. I'm a woman.

We all come from diverse backgrounds and our life circumstances are varied. I don't know why people are so suspicious of me. I'm just living my life. Like everyone else, I have my challenges. I'll admit that I'm hesitant to be open about my life. I have my reasons. I hope those reasons will be respected. @Moe.Red, I'll PM you.

I don't know how many here are worried about Logic, but I think it would be best if people avoided overt suspicions. He can't harm anyone here. Suspicion of ordinary members will do more harm to this forum than he could ever do. I believe I was among the first to be invited here by @Moe.Red, but I didn't understand the situation, so I hesitated. Then his PM to me was deleted and I couldn't remember the name of this site. People shouldn't read too much into that. I had only been a member of that forum for about 8 months and that was my first cannabis forum. I was confused. It's that simple.
The point to my post was that I was the one making the assumptions and wrongly so. You've been you. I'm the one that needed to check his attitude at the door. My only excuse is that shit was getting crazy and I forgot that it was crazy for others also.

The point to my post was that I was the one making the assumptions and wrongly so. You've been you. I'm the one that needed to check his attitude at the door. My only excuse is that shit was getting crazy and I forgot that it was crazy for others also.
Nothing like a bunch of paranoid pot heads who are already uneasy having all semblance of trust (or most) tossed out the window to really confuse a poor stoner!

I wanted to join the forums for YEARS. I just joined the farm in January because our state finally went recreational and I had a question. If we hadn't went recreational I'd probably still be wondering about the question.

I feel like skepticism is an important trait for a grower to have...being reserved about people is the same (but also keeping that judgment reserved until you are certain it's appropriate). Only thing I don't like and I don't see here...is when people just put others down like their weed is lesser and "mine is the shit". That kind of blowhard bullshit can kick rocks eternally lol

I love everyone's individual uniqueness here. A true melting pot with a good common denominator. Left, right, middle don't matter...up down all around love yall

You and I don't have an issue as far as I'm concerned, but I appreciate your introspection. I enjoy our conversations. You've challenged me to think, and I like thinking. No worries.

OK, so this makes a lot of sense to me, why they operate on patients first thing in the morning all things being equal -- You would think this is true, but it falls into the 'untested by triple blind study' and not officially endorsed by the www.Mud Guilders.com quality guild. Watering at night before the plants go to nighty night night vs watering/feeding in the am when they wake up is another one that falls in this category of known unknowns
Watering at night before the plants go to nighty night night vs watering/feeding in the am when they wake up
i was under the impression that you didn't want the girls having damp feet when the temps were low and no growing going on.

and i must be a jinx here.
most things i say or ask turn into a shitshow.
lol
Not one word of truth in that.
You asked a common question and see how many see things differently.

I'll add while much the before light/terp people have posted may hold true to terps, one must wonder what is more important?
Terps or THC..

My understanding from long ago is that THC is the fire retardant for the leaves and plant.
So make of that what you will.
The reviews I have gotten from people leave me with no question at all.

Back
Top Bottom